Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 mOG 4x1: you sure you wanna open this one?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asindc
    replied
    Up until now I haven’t been in favor of 4x1 relay team separate from the OT winners, but I now think it is worth considering. Gone are the days when we can just show up and win (or even medal) with casual handoffs. The world talent depth is higher than it has ever been and most countries know they have to get their passes right just to medal because their talent won’t get them there. Unlike the 4x4, where subs in the heats don’t jeopardize advancing, the 4x1 has to be assembled without any medal-hunting considerations. If feelings (and contract status) get hurt, so be it. Time to change strategy and approach.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    We should really pick a relay team from the 4th-8th finishers in the OT 100 & 200. With no individual events, they can get a full 6+ weeks of relay practice before the OG. That team would probably be in the hunt for gold every single time. It can't be any worse.

Leave a comment:

• Jaguarclaws
    replied
    Italy passed about as good as they could. Great effort. It’s a shame teams like US struggle , but it’s about individuals in the USA. I am American. Right now our society pushes get as much as you can get while you have a chance. It’s unfortunate, really. Next year will be interesting to see what happens to the relay in the lead up to Eugene!

Leave a comment:

• cladthin
    replied
    Italy definitely had their first go marks stretched out long but that's what gives you a chance for great success or a potential pass out of the zone.

Only the third exchange was more conservative.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    I think the USA's biggest problem with the 4x100 is that their selection system re the OT never allows them to develop a national relay team as is the case with all the other countries who have their teams training for the relay all year.

The logistics of being able to develop a team between OT and OG are just too hard. And then those logistics are compounded by idiot coaches who apparently think their coaching appointment was just to get them a free all expenses paid trip to Tokyo, and no need to actually coach.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

A stupid pathetic unwarranted back seat driver comment saying he should be ashamed of himself.

A silver medal, losing gold by 0.01 (0.26%) is nothing to be ashamed of when you lost to someone who was marginally superior.
    Correct. He looked like he knew he got nipped at the line, and then was upset. But then after the cool photo op with the 9 medalists he seemed to be in better spirits.

It's less a failure on him than an "atta boy" to Tortu who did everything perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post

Mitchell-Blake has regressed terribly over the years. He should be ashamed of himself. He shouldn't have given up that lead.
    A stupid pathetic unwarranted back seat driver comment saying he should be ashamed of himself.

A silver medal, losing gold by 0.01 (0.26%) is nothing to be ashamed of when you lost to someone who was marginally superior.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post

So what do we expect from Jacobs going into Eugene? 9.7 to push on? It's what it will take to beat a Coleman at his best.
    Who cares about Coleman? He reaped his deserved reward.

And he probably would have gone the same way as those other absolute certainties - Bromell, Lyles, Norman, Holloway.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    From what I've gathered, our national teams practice relays like some basketball teams practice free throws -- not too seriously. But I'm guessing that national team members in this country aren't together often enough to practice relays. After watching some of the other teams, I would assume that's not the case in those countries.

Leave a comment:

• Trackrunner
    replied
    The more I read about Lamont Marcell Jacobs (they call him Marcell) the more I think it was a case of the stars aligning perfectly that brought him to this most unlikely place. It is like a Hollywood made for TV movie. But Tokyo 2020 could be the summit for him.

With Bolt retired from sprinting, no Coleman, Bromell missing the cut and inspired by the unexpected win of his team mate Tamberi in the high jump and also reconnecting with his father who texted him hours before the race to tell him he believed he could win, Marcell dug deep within himself and did the unexpected - not just qualify for the final of an Olympic 100M final (the first Italian to do so!) but also win.

This is like Bingtian Su producing that 9.83 PB in the semi-final to become the first Chinese to qualify for a 100M final. Unfortunately he could not produce the magic again - that semi-final time would have got him silver in the final.

Marcell was able to produce the magic in the moment when it counted most. It'll make a great movie. Roll the credits right there. Coleman will be back soon. So will Bromell. Kerley is only going to get better. Jamaica had a down year but will be back. You follow where I'm going. This is likely the top of the hill for Marcell, quite an accomplishment in and of itself and has all the makings of a made for TV movie. But it may be downhill from here. I want to be wrong though because I like what I've read about him and want him to go further in the sport.
    Last edited by Trackrunner; 08-06-2021, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Lover Lover
    replied
    Originally posted by einnod23 View Post
    Great anchor by Italy! No one, I mean no one, thought a dude like Jacobs would have TWO Golds!
    So what do we expect from Jacobs going into Eugene? 9.7 to push on? It's what it will take to beat a Coleman at his best.

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied
    Great anchor by Italy! No one, I mean no one, thought a dude like Jacobs would have TWO Golds!

Leave a comment:

• Track78
    replied
    Yeah and also Tortu didn't run away from De Grasse! But definitely held him off much better than in the semi yesterday. Andre was wayyyyy down at the last exchange.

Leave a comment:

• Paced
    replied
    Originally posted by DJG

Just watched a YouTube video of the finish....appears to me the GB anchor went into a "swim" motion with his
    left arm two strides from the line. Don't know if that is his MO. But the ITA anchor's classic dip with both arms thrown back was timed perfectly....and made the difference.

Yeah looked like he started tying up. I feel like that's typical for him though, just that in 2017 he was in good enough shape to not lose significantly ground to Coleman.

Leave a comment:

• Paced
    replied
    Mitchell-Blake held on at the World Championships in 2017 by .05, he held on in Gateshead earlier this year by .02, but he couldn't hold on tonight, losing by .01... He was furious with himself, but based on his sprint form this year, it wasn't a huge surprise. They need to get Prescod in that training camp because he should be introduced as their anchor moving forward, at least until Mitchell-Blake regains his form.

Man what an anchor by Tortu. It looked like he may have even run away from De Grasse, who might just have been a bit tired after running so many races (including the 4x1 heats). Jamaica's passes were almost as bad as the women's, but they obviously didn't have the footspeed to make up for it like they did.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X