Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 mOG 4x1: you sure you wanna open this one?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    Somebody on FB wrote that this is the first time in Olympic and World Championship history where the US men didn't win a medal in the 4x1 and also didn't DQ or DNF. Is that true?
    Yes its true

Comment

• Even the Canadians know we don’t practice. SMH. 🤦🏽‍♂️😂
      Brendan Rooney made an Allen Iverson reference when asked if he’s surprised the US is out. “We talkin bout Practice”
      Last edited by _Jay; 08-05-2021, 04:28 AM.

Comment

• Two members of the U.S. 4x100 team spoke with the media in the mixed zone. Asked how much practice they had for this event, as a group, coming into today.

Fred Kerley: "Don't know."

Ronnie Baker: "Not much."

https://twitter.com/Tom_Schad/status...340269058?s=20

Comment

• this is the event with the most failure for the us in big meets by a country mile

Comment

• Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
            Two members of the U.S. 4x100 team spoke with the media in the mixed zone. Asked how much practice they had for this event, as a group, coming into today.

Fred Kerley: "Don't know."

Ronnie Baker: "Not much."

https://twitter.com/Tom_Schad/status...340269058?s=20
            In the same Twitter thread, Carl Lewis said: “The USA team did everything wrong in the men's relay. The passing system is wrong, athletes running the wrong legs, and it was clear that there was no leadership. It was a total embarrassment, and completely unacceptable for a USA team to look worse than the AAU kids I saw .”

Comment

• Originally posted by asindc View Post

Injury maybe?
              Is that a brain injury for the coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by DJG
                As things stand now, Baker is mostly to blame for the slow second exchange.
                Mostly? Where does the other blame fall?

Comment

• The way I see it, there is really no end to this misery...they may get it right every once in a long while but then they will fail miserably over and over again. It has been like this for the last 20 years. Even an eternal optimist like me has become a pessimist when it comes to this particular event.

Comment

• I, for one, approve of our new thread title.

These relay threads each Olympics really are the gift that keeps on giving

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                      Has an American anchor ever gotten walked down like that in a global relay?
                      1991 4x400

Comment

• It's not the personnel, it's the lack of practice together. Even if you accept that Gillespie is sub-par for a US team, the other three should have more than made up for that. Attending several camps should be a pre-requisite for selection to the team.

Comment

• Orin Richburg is listed on the USATF site as the OG relays coach. Along with a glowing bio.

It's okay, he will be around for a while, because there's no accountability. Or wait, maybe there is. Because Nike owns the USATF, so a quick phone call from Uncle Phil should make some heads roll.

Who is up for Carl Lewis as the relays coach? He might not be the most popular guy that ever lived, but if Carl Lewis is coaching my event I'm going to take it pretty seriously. Heck, he might even be able to run down a couple of our athletes on anchor.

Comment

• Originally posted by berkeley View Post

1991 4x400
                            And that also occurred because of a very bad decision by the coaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by cigar95

This afternoon as I was heading out the door our local station KNBC ran a feature on "local boy Crayvon Gillespie" who will be running for the "Team USA" relay team tonight. It had been prerecorded since he was (I think) still local at the time, but my reaction was that it was probably a mistake by the station (with apologies to Mr Gillespie who is probably a fine young man and has certainly worked very hard to earn his spot on the team.)

On a separate matter, NBC later showed an overhead shot of the latter stages of the race which suggest Mr. Gillespie did not get blown out in the final meters - he was already in sixth, and just wasn't gaining anything.
                              I believe the U.S.team was in third at the final exchange and CG was passed by three teams. It appeared at least one team (probably Ghana) passed him in the last 10-15m as Germany and Canada had already passed the U.S.
                              Last edited by cladthin; 08-05-2021, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Track&Field Fan View Post

He did run in the middle of the lane, instead of the outside, and held the baton in the middle with no clear attempt to adjust it (although the position he received it in is largely up to the incoming runner).
                                From the overhead replay I just saw-(drone view), Kerley only ran in the middle for the first 50m or so of his leg. When he was attempting the pass he was on the (mostly) outside of the lane though not hugging the outside lane line. Baker just kind of waddled in his acceleration. His start looked to be way too sub-maximal of an effort to match the incoming speed/take the baton from a guy running a probable high 8 second leg. Fred ran up on Ronnie so much when Ronnie put his hand back instead of significant free distance his hand actually hit Fred's left shoulder!

From that same shot, it appears Baker left on time as you can see a go mark/tape from overhead he just did not go anywhere. From neither view can I tell how much baton Kerley had. Kerley really ran the only good leg IMO out of the whole team. Baker also ran most of his leg in the middle of the lane rather than hugging the inside curve. Disappointing too that Bromell's leg took nothing out of the field, did not make a dent.

Comment

Working...
                                X