Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 mOG 4x1: you sure you wanna open this one?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From what I've gathered, our national teams practice relays like some basketball teams practice free throws -- not too seriously. But I'm guessing that national team members in this country aren't together often enough to practice relays. After watching some of the other teams, I would assume that's not the case in those countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post

So what do we expect from Jacobs going into Eugene? 9.7 to push on? It's what it will take to beat a Coleman at his best.
      Who cares about Coleman? He reaped his deserved reward.

And he probably would have gone the same way as those other absolute certainties - Bromell, Lyles, Norman, Holloway.

Comment

• Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post

Mitchell-Blake has regressed terribly over the years. He should be ashamed of himself. He shouldn't have given up that lead.
        A stupid pathetic unwarranted back seat driver comment saying he should be ashamed of himself.

A silver medal, losing gold by 0.01 (0.26%) is nothing to be ashamed of when you lost to someone who was marginally superior.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

A stupid pathetic unwarranted back seat driver comment saying he should be ashamed of himself.

A silver medal, losing gold by 0.01 (0.26%) is nothing to be ashamed of when you lost to someone who was marginally superior.
          Correct. He looked like he knew he got nipped at the line, and then was upset. But then after the cool photo op with the 9 medalists he seemed to be in better spirits.

It's less a failure on him than an "atta boy" to Tortu who did everything perfectly.
          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• I think the USA's biggest problem with the 4x100 is that their selection system re the OT never allows them to develop a national relay team as is the case with all the other countries who have their teams training for the relay all year.

The logistics of being able to develop a team between OT and OG are just too hard. And then those logistics are compounded by idiot coaches who apparently think their coaching appointment was just to get them a free all expenses paid trip to Tokyo, and no need to actually coach.

Comment

• Italy definitely had their first go marks stretched out long but that's what gives you a chance for great success or a potential pass out of the zone.

Only the third exchange was more conservative.

Comment

• Italy passed about as good as they could. Great effort. It’s a shame teams like US struggle , but it’s about individuals in the USA. I am American. Right now our society pushes get as much as you can get while you have a chance. It’s unfortunate, really. Next year will be interesting to see what happens to the relay in the lead up to Eugene!

Comment

• We should really pick a relay team from the 4th-8th finishers in the OT 100 & 200. With no individual events, they can get a full 6+ weeks of relay practice before the OG. That team would probably be in the hunt for gold every single time. It can't be any worse.

Comment

• Up until now I haven’t been in favor of 4x1 relay team separate from the OT winners, but I now think it is worth considering. Gone are the days when we can just show up and win (or even medal) with casual handoffs. The world talent depth is higher than it has ever been and most countries know they have to get their passes right just to medal because their talent won’t get them there. Unlike the 4x4, where subs in the heats don’t jeopardize advancing, the 4x1 has to be assembled without any medal-hunting considerations. If feelings (and contract status) get hurt, so be it. Time to change strategy and approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJG

Cladthin, Good to see you are still around. Travel, Covid, no crowd made for a unusual atmosphere. Bromell is very emphatic about crediting God for his recovery (which was necessitated by an injury sustained runing an anchor leg on a 4x1 relay) and I have no problem with that. I would point out, though, that when things don't go as well as planned, which happens for every sprinter, there is a psychological price to bear when you thinking leads to your believing God is no longer helping you as before. Not a confidence builder by any means.

sidebar: How about those 400H records!!!
                      DJG, good to re-connect!

I wonder, too, if the opposite issue could take place for TB in that he might too depend much on his faith to just get him through/take care of whatever is going on and being resigned to his fate in that manner. I think he had to carry an injury into these games with his mechanical issues as it oooks like he was guarding an injury and changing/altering his execution to reduce the risk of further aggravating something. To have lost over two tenths of performance says something dramatic happened over a few months time.
                      Last edited by cladthin; 08-11-2021, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• I wished we had track clubs like Santa Monica and HSI but we don’t anymore. All these sprinters are individuals pretty much.

Comment

• Earlier, I had suggested looking for opportunities for the short sprinters to practice together over the two years leading up to the Games/WC. Invite those with good credentials to attend 2-3 day "camps" during that time, and take advantage of the spring relay carnivals. Spreading it over that length of time would enable individuals to attend at least a few that would not interfere with their normal training/racing schedules. Not sure we should ignore the folks making the sprint teams altogether, but open up the aperture somewhat.

Comment

• not that i follow japanese athletics, but i noticed a lot of the youngsters have not lived up to their early potential. not just sani brown, but also kiryu (who ran 10,00 in HS) or yamagata. shota izuka was a junior 200 m world champion l but hasn’t progressed and only ran in the heats here.

they really miss someone like asahara, who also knew how to run the anchor leg.

china (with 2 sub-10 runners) broke a national record but their anchor (wu, a 10.11 runner) couldn’t hold off degrasse. i wonder if having SBT on anchor would have helped.
                            Last edited by uakari; 08-06-2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by uakari View Post
                              not that i follow japanese athletics, but i noticed a lot of the youngsters have not lived up to their early potential. not just sani brown, but also kiryu (who ran 10,00 in HS) or yamagata. shota izuka was a junior 200 m world champion l but hasn’t progressed and only ran in the heats here.

they really miss someone like asahara, who also knew how to run the anchor leg.

china (with 2 sub-10 runners) broke the area record but their anchor (wu, a 10.11 runner) couldn’t hold off degrasse. i wonder if having SBT on anchor would have helped.
                              Su looked like he got the baton in a dead heat with the Brits and got smoked on the curve. Maybe he would have been better on the anchor?
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Italy looked great in this round but wait until the finals, we have Lyles and Bednarek who will be well rested!

Comment

Working...
                                X