Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 mOG 4x1: you sure you wanna open this one?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• player
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Michaelson View Post

Fascinating! From the shot taken near the 100m start, the US seems to have only 1 team beat when Gillespie gets the stick.
    Who were the relay coaches that he mentioned? He mentioned 1 that did not make the trip to Tokyo, another 1 that the relay team practiced with at first, and then still another coach that they did the final practice with.
    US had two teams beat: Turkey, which was already out of it, and Ghana. A couple of others were essentially even

Fifth place in a fast enough time would advance. So all Gillespie had to do was pass one team and stay ahead of Ghana.

He passed Netherlands but got passed by the Ghana anchor, Joseph Amoah, who has a 10.01 PB.

Lyles or Bednarek would have advanced the team. One of them should have anchored.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Michaelson
    replied
    Also, usually there are splits available for the 4 x 100 even if they are revised later. I checked PJ Vazel's twitter as he is usually a good source and found no splits. Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Peter Michaelson
    replied
    Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
    Did anyone post Gillespie's breakdown about what happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWsj...ravonGillespie
    Fascinating! From the shot taken near the 100m start, the US seems to have only 1 team beat when Gillespie gets the stick.
    Who were the relay coaches that he mentioned? He mentioned 1 that did not make the trip to Tokyo, another 1 that the relay team practiced with at first, and then still another coach that they did the final practice with.

Leave a comment:

• Alcyallen
    replied
    [QUOTE=Big Tusk;n1723610]

Because the winning 4x1 team from NCAAs had a non-American on it and would have been DFL by about 3-4m with their season best time.

[/QUO
    Come on man it wasn't obvious I was talking in the future?

Bottom line is what chance would a well oiled NCAA team stand vs four faster sprinters?

Leave a comment:

• Big Tusk
    replied
    Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post

Then why not run the NCAA wining 4x1 team, that team ran together all season.
    Because the winning 4x1 team from NCAAs had a non-American on it and would have been DFL by about 3-4m with their season best time.

Leave a comment:

• Alcyallen
    replied
    Originally posted by br View Post

'Robinson was not chosen for the relay as 200 silver medalist Larry Black was picked for his turn-running ability.'

http://www.olympedia.org/results/61146

In 1972 Rey Robinson was the fifth ranked 100m sprinter in the world, but he couldn't make our 4x1team, wow!

How about....

Gerald Tinker...Robert Taylor...Eddie Hart...Rey Robinson
    Last edited by Alcyallen; 09-11-2021, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• br
    replied
    *** Not sure why Larry Black replaced Rey Robinson in 1972, anyone know?
    'Robinson was not chosen for the relay as 200 silver medalist Larry Black was picked for his turn-running ability.'

http://www.olympedia.org/results/61146

Leave a comment:

• Alcyallen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Read through the entire thread.
    Obviously in a 4x1 hand offs are important, so why do we run our 4 fastest guys?***

With our sprint depth we could use our 4-7 top sprinters to run the 4x1, they just practice practice practice. Hell, we had a 9.91 guy in Micah Williams we never used, what country can say that?

In 1960 the USA ran the Tennessee State womens 4x1, yep...gold.

Like I mentioned in 1932 we brought a team just to run the 4x1, yep....gold.

*** Not sure why Larry Black replaced Rey Robinson in 1972, anyone know?
    Last edited by Alcyallen; 09-11-2021, 04:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied

Then why not run the NCAA wining 4x1 team, that team ran together all season. Why do we go with who ends up in the top 6 at the trials in a 100m?

I can see using our stud on anchor but the other three only there to run the relay like we saw in 1932.

But when I do my "fantasy" 4x1, I have to go with something like this...

Arkansas

Omar McLoud...Wallace Spearmon...Tyson Gay...Jarrion Lawson

Each on the leg they excelled in.
    Read through the entire thread.

Leave a comment:

• Alcyallen
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

We drop baton...

Relays aren't run and won by lists of fastest times. They are run and won by practise as a team and, often, luck.
    Then why not run the NCAA wining 4x1 team, that team ran together all season. Why do we go with who ends up in the top 6 at the trials in a 100m?

I can see using our stud on anchor but the other three only there to run the relay like we saw in 1932.

But when I do my "fantasy" 4x1, I have to go with something like this...

Arkansas

Omar McLoud...Wallace Spearmon...Tyson Gay...Jarrion Lawson

Each on the leg they excelled in.
    Last edited by Alcyallen; 09-11-2021, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    We run...
    We drop baton...

Relays aren't run and won by lists of fastest times. They are run and won by practise as a team and, often, luck.

Leave a comment:

• Alcyallen
    replied
    We run...

Christian Coleman...Justin Gatlin...Ronnie Baker....Noah Lyles

We win.

We run...

Trayvon Bromell...Fred Kerley...Kenny Bednarek....Micah Williams

We win.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post
    You missed my point. I was talking about his lack of improvement over the years. He ran sub 20 and 10 low while at LSU. What is the cause of his regression? Is it laziness? I am not sure he is hungry enough. That's my .02.
    I don't think I missed the point.

You said he should be ashamed of himself because he should not have given up the lead.

You are the one who should be ashamed of himself for making such a comment.

Leave a comment:

• FleetingRedux
    replied
    You missed my point. I was talking about his lack of improvement over the years. He ran sub 20 and 10 low while at LSU. What is the cause of his regression? Is it laziness? I am not sure he is hungry enough. That's my .02.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post

I stand by what I said. The guy has not improved over the years. I have been following him since his days at LSU.
    If you had been following both athletes then you would have known that for this season, because it is this season that counts, and not previous seasons (including since his days at LSU) is that their respective best times for this year are:

10.10 and 20.40 for Tortu
    10.28 and 20.56 for Mitchell-Blake

Therefore, it was always likely that Tortu was going to run down Mitchell-Blake.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X