Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 mOG 4x1: you sure you wanna open this one?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gm
    replied
    Britain's 4x100 medal may be in jeopardy?

https://www.athleticsintegrity.org/d...MPIC-GAMES.pdf

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by steve View Post

I agree that it’s a bad idea. I would be not interested in how Carl Lewis and teammates prepared leading up to major championships vs what is done now; both in terms of the frequency of practice and what they worked in those sessions. That’s where the solution to our relay woes might be found.

Typo?

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    A few have mentioned the US putting together a relay consisting of the 4-7 finishers in the OT and having them train for the relay only. Some of those same posters have also complained about Gillespie's participation in the relay heats. Gillespie would have been part of the relay specific team as well. So you can't win.
    I agree that it’s a bad idea. I would be interested in how Carl Lewis and teammates prepared leading up to major championships vs what is done now; both in terms of the frequency of practice and what they worked in those sessions. That’s where the solution to our relay woes might be found.
    Last edited by steve; 08-12-2021, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    A few have mentioned the US putting together a relay consisting of the 4-7 finishers in the OT and having them train for the relay only. Some of those same posters have also complained about Gillespie's participation in the relay heats. Gillespie would have been part of the relay specific team as well. So you can't win.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by The Klingon View Post

That is the same thing that Michael Johnson said: Why was Gillespie on the anchor leg?
    I imagine because it's the easiest leg to switch out for the final and Gillespie had run 9.96 this year, which would usually indicate an embarrassment of riches for a team. He anchored in the heats at Doha and the U.S. went on to win gold.

If the U.S. had been in heat one and run exactly the same, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Leave a comment:

• The Klingon
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but Gillespie executed well but he just didn't have the legs, so I don't blame him at all, rather I blame the coaches for putting him out there.
    That is the same thing that Michael Johnson said: Why was Gillespie on the anchor leg?

Leave a comment:

• Jaguarclaws
    replied
    Originally posted by steve View Post

I though about that, but isn't the same true for the other athletes on the winning teams? Bolt was clearly paid as a 100m sprinter as were his teammates, but they managed to figure out handoffs well enough to win and set records. I would guess that the problem is exactly as has been stated here; poor coaching and conflicts with athletes/agents and their respective egos. That can be hard to fix.
    Very true. The guys ysed to be part of track clubs , but now individualism is huge for track ahtletes in the Usa. I rememeber The screw up started in 1995. I remember Carl Lewis saying llet SMTC run against HSI. SMTC was Michael Marsh , Leroy Burrell, Floyd Heard, and Carl Lewis. HSI had Jon Drummond and Maurice Greene. Lewis suggested that Those two get Dennis Mitchell and Michael Johnson to run a race at the 1996 Olympic trials for the relay spot. Of course the Usa bever went for it. MJ was right in the middle of his double quest. That would be cool to see. Maybe do it by shoe companies. ???

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinR View Post

If we are being honest, their individual events are what they do for a living. Their contracts and appearance fees are predicated on what they do throughout the season. The relays are not really a thing to most of them, other than a chance to get another medal. That does not make them selfish, in my eyes.

As has been mentioned before, back in the days of the SMTC, where many of their relayists had the same roles on the national teams, it may have been a bit different.
    I though about that, but isn't the same true for the other athletes on the winning teams? Bolt was clearly paid as a 100m sprinter as were his teammates, but they managed to figure out handoffs well enough to win and set records. I would guess that the problem is exactly as has been stated here; poor coaching and conflicts with athletes/agents and their respective egos. That can be hard to fix.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaguarclaws View Post
    This is true but the US runners are so worried about individual results and too worried about getting hurt running relays that they don’t practice, plus the egos of who runs where etc. We need to fix this.
    If we are being honest, their individual events are what they do for a living. Their contracts and appearance fees are predicated on what they do throughout the season. The relays are not really a thing to most of them, other than a chance to get another medal. That does not make them selfish, in my eyes.

As has been mentioned before, back in the days of the SMTC, where many of their relayists had the same roles on the national teams, it may have been a bit different.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the Men’s 4x100 prelims? The Olympic Channel Replays only show the finals snd I want to see the USA bad handoff.
    If you insist....here it is...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6jkfWCBev0E

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the Men’s 4x100 prelims? The Olympic Channel Replays only show the finals snd I want to see the USA bad handoff.
    Nbcolympics.com still has replays of all the sessions available.

Leave a comment:

• cladthin
    replied
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but Gillespie executed well but he just didn't have the legs, so I don't blame him at all, rather I blame the coaches for putting him out there.
    There was only one bad (horrible) pass. The real issue other than the awful second exchange execution (Baker) was poor quality of the legs aside, of course, from Kerley .

The coaches would do well to time the athletes electronically-if they don't currently- various accelerations and velocties of the athletes in a practice. If anyone had any doubts about. it before, they should no longer believe that speed is a completely static quality. Bromell and Gillespie clearly fell way of where they were earlier in the season. With timing they could determine current abilities for each athlete.
    Last edited by cladthin; 08-12-2021, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Indeed....the guy was 6th in the Trials.....

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X