Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 mOG 4x1: you sure you wanna open this one?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post

Was that 4x1 or 4x4? 4x4 you gain another two places for the Mixed, so essentially seven slots, if no individuals. GBR named 7 women - that was the three open runners and four athletes who were relay only, but on the OG site, two were down as mixed relay and the other five for the women’s relay
    4x1 as well. Granted, that 8 included Pia Skrzyszowska, who was in the individual 100H, but that still leaves 7, none of whom was entered in any individual event.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell View Post

But that can't be right. Poland entered 8 athletes for each of the relays (with one of them designated as alternate in each case).
    Was that 4x1 or 4x4? 4x4 you gain another two places for the Mixed, so essentially seven slots, if no individuals. GBR named 7 women - that was the three open runners and four athletes who were relay only, but on the OG site, two were down as mixed relay and the other five for the women’s relay

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by ItalianFan View Post
    For Olympic Games, you have to reference to this:https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competiti...5a782e3a78.pdf
    Olympics have total quota of athletes per sport set by IOC. So rules are slighter different.
    But that can't be right. Poland entered 8 athletes for each of the relays (with one of them designated as alternate in each case).

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaguarclaws View Post
    I wished we had track clubs like Santa Monica and HSI but we don’t anymore. All these sprinters are individuals pretty much.
    AYE! Most of these teams were almost the same foursome (give or take one man) for the better part of the entire 1990s and a good part of the 1980s! Now our teams comprise of too many different guys in each successive global meet, breeding and festering chaos from one world meet to the next!

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by beebee View Post
    Speaking of Lewis...unless an athlete is doing multiple events like Carl and is honestly preoccupied...no relay camp, no relay duty...

Let's stop the outdated "tradition" of giving automatic slots to any athlete.
    Funny you mentioned that. If I'm reading this the right way, that's exactly what they did with the w4x4, with the Trials winner (Hayes) benched and no medal at all, after a lousy open finals performance where an old lady overperformed by a country mile!

Leave a comment:

• uakari
    replied
    Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

Right?! whoever bet that is swimming in money right now.

BUT after Jacobs won the 100m I thought Italy (along with Canada, Japan and GBR) had a great opportunity to win a gold knowing the U.S. relay history. America proved me right again and they took advantage of the opportunity.
    japan underperformed here against high expectations. they ran a slower time than the US (the US!) in the heats.

Leave a comment:

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    Also I forgot Tortu broke his arms/shoulder in the Youth Games doing that very same dip. Had to get surgery. From that to his trademark dip winning an Olympic gold medal. Incredible.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Michaelson
    replied
    Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

BUT after Jacobs won the 100m I thought Italy (along with Canada, Japan and GBR) had a great opportunity to win a gold knowing the U.S. relay history. America proved me right again and they took advantage of the opportunity.
    I'm glad I won't have to hear that British announcer say them Italian anchor leg's middle name as "Mar-sell'-ee" any more. Where do you get "Mar-sell'-ee" from M-A-R-C-E-L-L?

Leave a comment:

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by einnod23 View Post
    Great anchor by Italy! No one, I mean no one, thought a dude like Jacobs would have TWO Golds!

Leave a comment:

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Correct. He looked like he knew he got nipped at the line, and then was upset. But then after the cool photo op with the 9 medalists he seemed to be in better spirits.

It's less a failure on him than an "atta boy" to Tortu who did everything perfectly.
    That photo op, with Laura Muir included was a great moment.

And yeah Tortu ran a PERFECT anchor leg. I can't keep gushing over how much I love his form. Like I mentioned earlier, Michael Johnson said he ran a perfect leg and broke down Tortu's perfect technique vs. NMB.

Tortu, Del Ponte, Sha'Carri, Steven Gardiner, Thompson and SMU technically are beautiful to watch when they get going.

Originally posted by uakari View Post
    not that i follow japanese athletics, but i noticed a lot of the youngsters have not lived up to their early potential. not just sani brown, but also kiryu (who ran 10,00 in HS) or yamagata. shota izuka was a junior 200 m world champion l but hasn’t progressed and only ran in the heats here.

they really miss someone like asahara, who also knew how to run the anchor leg.

china (with 2 sub-10 runners) broke a national record but their anchor (wu, a 10.11 runner) couldn’t hold off degrasse. i wonder if having SBT on anchor would have helped.
    I don't know WHY China keeps putting Su on 3rd leg. I think this is like 4th straight major championship he's ran that leg.

Leave a comment:

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
    I wish NBC would get rid of the head on view of the second leg. It’s useless to tell who is gaining on who. And that was the leg with 100m gold medalist from Italy. For this race, they need to go with the stadium view and stick with it. I like to see where everyone is at as the race develops.
    Agreed. I hate it also.

Leave a comment:

• Track78
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Who cares about Coleman? He reaped his deserved reward.

And he probably would have gone the same way as those other absolute certainties - Bromell, Lyles, Norman, Holloway.
    Man, I'm with you. Why do people keep bringing up Coleman as if he was done an injustice or a victim of circumstances and we miss him and cant wait til he's back, watch out blah blah blah. The reason for his ban is highly suspicious and I'm glad he was punished.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by schigh View Post

Good point, didn't think about that. I was just trying to think of a way where the relay team has actually competed together before.
    In more normal non-Covid years there have been opportunities for the relays to run in a couple Euro meets before the championship meets.

Leave a comment:

• Track78
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Su looked like he got the baton in a dead heat with the Brits and got smoked on the curve. Maybe he would have been better on the anchor?
    Take into account that Su was running on the outside of the Brits, he is running a longer distance as the stagger evens out. The inside runner will always be looking like they are going faster because of that illusion. The most early example of when I realized this is in 88 when Flo Jo looked like she was doing little damage to the German on her inside, but it was only because of the stagger.
    Last edited by Track78; 08-07-2021, 04:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Track78
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
    I wish NBC would get rid of the head on view of the second leg. It’s useless to tell who is gaining on who. And that was the leg with 100m gold medalist from Italy. For this race, they need to go with the stadium view and stick with it. I like to see where everyone is at as the race develops.
    Yes!! That leg had the both the men's and women's gold medallists in the 100m and you couldn't even really see them run. Thankfully the CBC feed had the usual side shot, yay Canada!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X