Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¶ 2021 OG mixed-sex 4x4: Poland 3:09.87

Since it doesn't fit in either men's or women's forum,, we'll have the thread here.

Unlike all the other events, no formchart. Simply not enough data to make intelligent choices, other than to note that the U.S. should be an overwhelming favorite

What might be the best strategy in the mixed 4 x 400 relay, in regards to order of competitors?

MMFF
    MFMF
    MFFM
    FFMM
    FMFM
    FMMF

Comment

Best strategy is probably to just remove the event.

Comment

Unlike most here I like the event and the one in swimming as well. The only requirement I would make is that all nations have the same M-F sequence.

Comment

While it's a dumb event to include at the championship level, I do think it's somewhat interesting in its own right. Sure, have it at the World Relays.
          And my strategy would be to go against the conventional wisdom and go with FMFM. I can't recall if anyone tried that one in Doha.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
            Best strategy is probably to just remove the event.
            Best Strategy:

#1. Get rid of the mixed relay all together!
            #2. If we have to watch this garbage, the best strategy is M-W-W-M. Poland learned a painful lesson at the 2019 WC in Doha!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
              Unlike most here I like the event and the one in swimming as well. The only requirement I would make is that all nations have the same M-F sequence.
              See, for me the different sequences is what makes it interesting. (I just want it out of the WC, but that doesn't mean it can't be interesting on its own.)

Comment

How could the Americans possibly lose....except dropping the baton...

Comment

i like it. The racket sports have co-ed events at their majors. Why shouldn't we focus more on team oriented events?. Just like Basketball with Pros in olympics the longer it is on the program the more competitive it will get. Think T&F should add some more. 4x8, 4xmile easy adds.

Add I love what some female thrower (forgot who) suggested on twitter to add to the World Relays. A thrower's relay and Jumper's relay. 1 person in each event SP-DIsc-Jav-Hammer and HJ-LJ-TJ-PV. 2 males and 2 females each doing one event, total distance wins. That could make things really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                    And my strategy would be to go against the conventional wisdom and go with FMFM. I can't recall if anyone tried that one in Doha.
                    No teams did it in the Doha final or any of the past 3 world relay finals.

Prelims though we have seen:
                    2019 W Relays: The USA ran WMWM
                    2019 Doha: Japan ran WMMW and finished in 16th (last place)
                    2021 W Relays: Portugal (WMWM) and France (WWMM) started with women but didn't make the finals

Comment

i took the liberty of melding 2 threads into one

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                        Sure, have it at the World Relays.
                        Absolutely. Certainly do NOT have it at the OG or WC. The WRelays can have all the silly relays they want. I wish they'd bring back the 4x8.

Comment

Assuming that we're saving Felix for the real relay, I think the best team (in order) would be Biles, Lyles, Durant, Ledecky. I know there are some unconventional choices in there, but let's break this down a little further. Simone Biles runs leadoff because it's the safest leg as it is in lanes, plus she's the greatest of all time. Noah Lyles because his name rhymes with Biles and he's on most of the NBC ads. Kevin Durant to have an actual celebrity in the race so that people will watch. Katie Ledecky because she has the American record in the 400 and is an incredible relay performer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jnathletics View Post
                            i like it. The racket sports have co-ed events at their majors. Why shouldn't we focus more on team oriented events?. Just like Basketball with Pros in olympics the longer it is on the program the more competitive it will get. Think T&F should add some more. 4x8, 4xmile easy adds.

Add I love what some female thrower (forgot who) suggested on twitter to add to the World Relays. A thrower's relay and Jumper's relay. 1 person in each event SP-DIsc-Jav-Hammer and HJ-LJ-TJ-PV. 2 males and 2 females each doing one event, total distance wins. That could make things really interesting.
                            While I think that is a good idea, I think total distance is not the way to do it. It diminishes the importance of the events with the lesser distances. In the men's throws the JT WR is more than 4.2 times the SP one. On both the men's and women's side, the TJ WRs are over 7.4 times the HJ ones. The men's HJ WR less 0.5m is 1.95, which is a mediocre height for a world-class decathlete, 0.5m below the men's TJ record is 17.79, which ranks equal 54th best legal outdoor competition of all time and has only been beaten 6 times by a non-winner. I think that maybe just use a system where the WR is 1000 points, 95% of it is 950 etc. Slightly simpler than using conventional tables.

Comment

I’d love to have a random draw just to make it more interesting. Every team doing M-F-F-M or whatever is kind of boring. Screw strategy- make teams adapt to the the challenge.

Comment

Working...
                              X