Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    In retrospect, Gidey probably should have started ramping up the pace 3 or 4 laps later than she did so that no one who stayed with her until the finish would have a kick left on the last lap.
    Why would it have left other runners without any kick? If Gidey had stayed with the pace that would have allowed to run the last lap in 68, that wouldn't have changed how much other runners had left at the bell. If she had pushed harder, then she wouldn't have been able to finish with a 68 lap. So Hassan and Gezahegne wouldn't have needed any insane kick to beat her.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
      Why would it have left other runners without any kick? If Gidey had stayed with the pace that would have allowed to run the last lap in 68, that wouldn't have changed how much other runners had left at the bell. If she had pushed harder, then she wouldn't have been able to finish with a 68 lap. So Hassan and Gezahegne wouldn't have needed any insane kick to beat her.
      Hassan would not have split 61 on the last lap if Gidey continued to press all the way until the finish and that's assuming she wouldn't have been dropped. That energy system would have been depleted. Gidey is the one who benefitted the least by slowing it down to 75s pace because she had the weakest kick of the group, so slowing it down was the worse thing she could do. However, I asked a friend of mine why Gidey let Hassan off the ropes she said Gidey was letting herself off the ropes, and we have to assume that's what was going on. She simply didn't have an Ayana-type advantage in fitness over Hassan and Gezahegne, so in retrospect her plan was doomed to failed although no one knew that at the time. If someone had told me before the race that Gidey would drop Obiri with 7 laps to go, I would have assumed that Hassan, who also had 3 hard 1500's in her legs, would have been dropped too, but that's why they run the races.

Comment

• Hassan would not have needed to run anywhere close to 61 lap if Obiri's last lap had been 71.

Unless something changed drastically since Doha 2019, there was no reason to believe Oribi would be anywhere close to Gidey and Hassan in 10000m. She was 18 seconds behind in 5th in Doha, and she still ran a PB in the Olympic final.

Comment

• Obiri didn't have three rounds of the 1500 in her legs, and Gidey had neither the 1500's or the 5000's in her legs. Those races had to have had an effect on Hassan, but her fitness level must have been so high going into the Olympics that she still had enough left in the tank for the 10,000, which I wrongly didn't think was possible against that field. Who knows what she could have done in the 10,000 had she run it fully rested?

Comment

Working...
          X