Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 800: Athing Mu (US) 1:55.21 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    A big piece of me says she played it safe: Go out, take control of the race, don't let anyone pass, then pick the right spot to make that move to win.
    I was thinking the same thing in the first 200-300. She's young, new on the international stage at this level. Job one was to secure the gold. Don't blow it. There will be time, plenty of time, to chase marks.

Comment

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
      A big piece of me says she played it safe.
      Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
      Mu ran the first lap so smoothly that I thought it was slow until I saw the split. And then she just pulled away.
      She's run enough now for everyone to see that's just her MO. She looks so smooth and nonchalant, but the facade belies a motor working very hard. There is more there, but unless she runs 1:52, we won't see the effort.

Comment

• I think Mu is so smooth , it often doesn’t look like she’s working hard. Let her grow more. Can’t wait to see her in the 4x400!! I would Anchor her. Put her with Muhammad, and McLaughlin!!! Felix, Hayes , can run the other leg!

Comment

• good analysis now posted to home page:

WOMEN’S 800M: NEGATIVE SPLITS ALL THE WAY TO GOLD, SILVER AND BRONZE

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post

I was thinking the same thing in the first 200-300. She's young, new on the international stage at this level. Job one was to secure the gold. Don't blow it. There will be time, plenty of time, to chase marks.
            She ran the perfect race to win. Next she has to push it faster to see where her limits are.

Goule made the mistake of not controlling her race. She allowed Mu to control it. Rogers did the opposite and gathered all the carcasses, save one, that Mu left behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post

She ran the perfect race to win. Next she has to push it faster to see where her limits are.

Goule made the mistake of not controlling her race. She allowed Mu to control it. Rogers did the opposite and gathered all the carcasses, save one, that Mu left behind.
              I agree with you about Mu but what do you mean by Goule "not controlling her race"? Do you think Goule could have employed a winning tactic against Mu?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I agree with you about Mu but what do you mean by Goule "not controlling her race"? Do you think Goule could have employed a winning tactic against Mu?
                I know she employed a losing tactic so attempting something else may not have won but would've been taking a shot at winning instead of watching the fastest runner in the race set a comfortable pace which set up a killer final 300.

Goule's tactic was to lose or hope Mu tripped or collapsed. Not saying she could've won, saying she didn't try to win.

Comment

• Goule wasn’t going to beat Mu, but she could have at least managed her race better to ensure herself a medal.

Comment

I know she employed a losing tactic so attempting something else may not have won but would've been taking a shot at winning instead of watching the fastest runner in the race set a comfortable pace which set up a killer final 300.

Goule's tactic was to lose or hope Mu tripped or collapsed. Not saying she could've won, saying she didn't try to win.
                    I disagree. Goule's tactic was to sit on Mu's shoulder drafting and hope she had enough left in the tank to pass on the homestretch but she didn't have the legs to pull it off. Rogers, on the other hand, employed a losing strategy. Her strategy was more likely to medal than Goule's but less likely to win. No one was beating Mu, not Goule or anyone else. The best runner is the best runner.

Comment

• Thanks to 19 year old Keely Hodgkinson, the fear that GB would get no t&f medals at these Games has been put to rest.

Comment

I disagree. Goule's tactic was to sit on Mu's shoulder drafting and hope she had enough left in the tank to pass on the homestretch but she didn't have the legs to pull it off. Rogers, on the other hand, employed a losing strategy. Her strategy was more likely to medal than Goule's but less likely to win.
                        That's right, Goule ran at LSU.

Goule's tactic was to outsprint the fastest runner in the field... smart.

Rogers understood she couldn't win and used Mu to kill off the others while laying in the back. You can see on the final turn where she decides she'd be better off waiting than attempting to run around Wang. She wasn't going to beat either Mu or Keely (fantastic race by her but she may end up the Rai to Mu's Warholm) but she could emply her tactic by using her strength - kicking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                          Thanks to 19 year old Keely Hodgkinson, the fear that GB would get no t&f medals at these Games has been put to rest.
                          Almanza gone, Ajee's 2017-18 mojo having left the building a long time ago. It was a formality for one of those ladies to come up with a medal. I'd bet most didn't think it'd be the 19-year-old.

Comment

I disagree. Goule's tactic was to sit on Mu's shoulder drafting and hope she had enough left in the tank to pass on the homestretch but she didn't have the legs to pull it off. Rogers, on the other hand, employed a losing strategy. Her strategy was more likely to medal than Goule's but less likely to win. No one was beating Mu, not Goule or anyone else. The best runner is the best runner.
                            Maybe Goule thought the moment would overwhelm Mu once more, like it did at the 2019 NBIN, when she tried for sub-2:00 and paid for it, with Roisin Willis winning. I actually thought Goule would try to get alongside her and menace her all the way to the 550. But instead she tucked right behind her, because she had to know that wasn't going to work this time, and she wanted a medal.

With two 19-year-olds 1-2, to be 22 come Paris 2024, this might have been 30-year-old Goule's last chance. And Rogers will still be in the picture at 28.

Comment

That's right, Goule ran at LSU.

Goule's tactic was to outsprint the fastest runner in the field... smart.
                              I thought you wanted to have a serious conversation about tactics as us track fans do during and after championships meets and you offer silly a non sequitur while still not offering your winning strategy for Goule because you and I both know it doesn't exist.

Comment

• I do, but remembered that you are an LSU fanboy and there was no longer a reason to bang my head against that wall.

I don't think there was a winning strategy other than to control the race/pace, which she ceded to Mu. She could've gone out faster or slowed it down. She did neither and hoped a sinkhole would swallow Mu. It didn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X