Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 800: Athing Mu (US) 1:55.21 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think there is a "winning strategy" for a front runner when there is someone faster in the field.

If Goule had taken off at a faster pace, Mu could have easily followed her, and Goule would have had even less left for the final 100m. And what would have been the alternative? Sit behind other runners and try to outkick the "rest" in the home stretch? Well, that's what Rogers did to win the bronze. That's not a "winning" strategy. The only way you could win with that is if Mu either blows up or it tripped. And that was a more natural strategy for Rogers than for Goule.

Comment

• For all of us (me!) who thought Mu might be vulnerable to a sudden kick at the end, she's now too far ahead to worry about that!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
        I don't think there is a "winning strategy" for a front runner when there is someone faster in the field.
        Matt Centrowitz would like a word. So would Asbel Kiprop. Things happen.

Goule, like everyone else, allowed Mu to run calmly at her pace as if upsetting her with a faster or slower pace would release Godzilla. They all lost because they were too afraid to try to win.

Comment

• You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post
            Ever so often an athlete comes around that I get excited for. Right now its Mu I would like over the next two seasons for her to go at both the 400m and the 800m. Shes so classy.
            Earlier tweet from Jon Gault:

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post

Goule, like everyone else, allowed Mu to run calmly at her pace as if upsetting her with a faster or slower pace would release Godzilla. They all lost because they were too afraid to try to win.
              Centro is not a front runner. He is a quintessential kicker. He went to the front and slowed down the pace in Rio. That would not work with only eight people on the track.

Let me revise my comment. Neither Goule nor Rogers had a "winning" strategy (a strategy to beat Mu) in that race. Assuming no one is employing team tactics, Mu had to defeat herself for someone else to win. So the questions are:

1. What strategy gives the best chance if Mu beats herself?
              2. What strategy gives the best chance to get 2nd if Mu doesn't beat herself?

They all lost because Mu was simply a better runner. Goule could have finished higher with a different strategy. But the gold medal was for Mu to lose. And she didn't lose it.

Comment

Let me revise my comment. Neither Goule nor Rogers had a "winning" strategy (a strategy to beat Mu) in that race.
                That's like saying no one had a strategy to beat Warholm, Mondo and later today, probably Crouser.

Aside from deliberately tripping Mu, and/or pushing her over, there was no available strategy they could employ.

When an athlete is just so superior then there is no strategy other than hoping they mess up.

Comment

• I guess if someone could take the lead and keep the pace slow....say, 2:20 pace....for 790 meters, they might have a chance as I doubt Mu can shift gears as quickly as Yifter, etc. so someone might hold her off over the last 10 meters.

Comment

• Now, I hope no one is going to take that post seriously.

Comment

• The only way Mu could lose was go out way too fast....that didn't happen with a 57.82 400....the others didn't have a chance...

Comment

There is nothing they could have done.... how do you set a slower pace when Mu is leading....the 800 is not the 1500....

They all ran a sensible race behind Mu....some had more left than others ...the weather might have been part of it.
                        Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-03-2021, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                          I guess if someone could take the lead and keep the pace slow....say, 2:20 pace....for 790 meters, they might have a chance as I doubt Mu can shift gears as quickly as Yifter, etc. so someone might hold her off over the last 10 meters.
                          Exactly....a strategy that might have worked...also talking to Mu with questions during the race ..like..why are you so tall? to distract Mu.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                            Now, I hope no one is going to take that post seriously.
                            I take everything you say seriously....I jot it all down...

Comment

I do, but remembered that you are an LSU fanboy and there was no longer a reason to bang my head against that wall.

I don't think there was a winning strategy other than to control the race/pace, which she ceded to Mu. She could've gone out faster or slowed it down. She did neither and hoped a sinkhole would swallow Mu. It didn't.
                              Let me explain this to you in a way that even someone as obtuse as you can understand. In 2012, David Rudisha, who was head and shoulders above the field, controlled the pace from wire to wire, and the strategy that Nijel Amos and the rest of the field chose was to get on the rail and follow as best he could. If Rudisha imploded, Amos would be there to take advantage of the opportunity. Of course Rudisha didn't blow up, the other 7 runners unhitched, but 6 of them ran PR's, including Amos who won the silver medal.

Going into today's final, Mu and Goule, who both had PR's of 1:56 set this year, were #1 and #3 on the 2021 performance list, so it was reasonable for Goule to employ the Amos strategy - if Mu faded she would be there to take advantage but if the pace proved too much, she could unhitch like Amos did and still grab a medal. However, Goule didn't just unhitch, she blew up, but Hodgkinson who followed Mu alongside Goule, unhitched and won a silver medal employing the same tactic as Goule, and she and 4 other of the followers got PR's. Any sensible who watched that race knows that there was no winning strategy for Goule, or anyone else not named Mu, and no logical person would question a tactic that worked for Amos in 2012 and Hodgkinson today. The idea that Goule should have taken control of the race by setting a faster pace than Mu is just plain silly.

Comment

I don't think there is a "winning strategy" for a front runner when there is someone faster in the field.

If Goule had taken off at a faster pace, Mu could have easily followed her, and Goule would have had even less left for the final 100m. And what would have been the alternative? Sit behind other runners and try to outkick the "rest" in the home stretch? Well, that's what Rogers did to win the bronze. That's not a "winning" strategy. The only way you could win with that is if Mu either blows up or it tripped. And that was a more natural strategy for Rogers than for Goule.
                                This makes sense to me, and all other thinking people.

Comment

Working...
                                X