Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 800: Athing Mu (US) 1:55.21 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Centro is not a front runner. He is a quintessential kicker. He went to the front and slowed down the pace in Rio. That would not work with only eight people on the track.

Let me revise my comment. Neither Goule nor Rogers had a "winning" strategy (a strategy to beat Mu) in that race. Assuming no one is employing team tactics, Mu had to defeat herself for someone else to win. So the questions are:

1. What strategy gives the best chance if Mu beats herself?
    2. What strategy gives the best chance to get 2nd if Mu doesn't beat herself?

They all lost because Mu was simply a better runner. Goule could have finished higher with a different strategy. But the gold medal was for Mu to lose. And she didn't lose it.
    Not only are there 4 fewer runners on the track in 800's than 1500's but championship 800's aren't nearly as tactical as 1500's. According to the IAAF scoring tables, the women's 800 equivalent of Centrwitz's winning time of 3:50.00 is 2:10.89. Can you imagine ANY woman good enough to make an Olympic final allowing the pace to go that slow?

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post

Matt Centrowitz would like a word. So would Asbel Kiprop. Things happen.

Goule, like everyone else, allowed Mu to run calmly at her pace as if upsetting her with a faster or slower pace would release Godzilla. They all lost because they were too afraid to try to win.
      I have David Rudisha on line 2. Shall I put him through?

Comment

• Mu always runs very wide in the lane. Is there a good tactical reason for this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Daisy View Post
          Mu always runs very wide in the lane. Is there a good tactical reason for this?
          Yes, three that I'm aware of. But first, I don't know that Mu always runs wide when in a lane. I think that's probably true only when she has the pole in a multi-lap race.

As for the three tactical reasons:
          1. Force trailing runners wider on the curve;
          2. Give yourself track on the left in case you're bumped from the outside; you don't want to be taking a step on the rail or inside it;
          3. Set a trap for runners who think they can sneak through on the inside.

Number 1 is dubious as the relative distance run remains the same to Mu regardless of where she is. It's also the most common reason given.
          Number 2 is the best reason so far as pack running goes, but it requires being aware of what's coming up from behind on the inside, when you're always thinking about what's coming on the outside.
          Number 3 is difficult but useful. You have to be aware of trailing people on both sides, as with #2. I've seen the trap employed by distance runners (although they're more likely to pick someone off against a lapped runner) and relay runners. If you're in the lead and aware of someone coming up on the inside, you still have the right of way to the inside of your lane and can move over if you haven't left your move until it's too late. Awareness of the situation behind you is easier to do now with the large stadium TV screens.

I have no idea which of these, let alone any of them, are part of Mu's thinking; these are just possibilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by dj View Post

I think that's probably true only when she has the pole in a multi-lap race.
            Yes, this was the scenario i was thinking about.

i guess i ask as i don’t see others doing this. But your first two make some tactical sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by dj View Post

Yes, three that I'm aware of. But first, I don't know that Mu always runs wide when in a lane. I think that's probably true only when she has the pole in a multi-lap race.

As for the three tactical reasons:
              1. Force trailing runners wider on the curve;
              2. Give yourself track on the left in case you're bumped from the outside; you don't want to be taking a step on the rail or inside it;
              3. Set a trap for runners who think they can sneak through on the inside.

Number 1 is dubious as the relative distance run remains the same to Mu regardless of where she is. It's also the most common reason given.
              Number 2 is the best reason so far as pack running goes, but it requires being aware of what's coming up from behind on the inside, when you're always thinking about what's coming on the outside.
              Number 3 is difficult but useful. You have to be aware of trailing people on both sides, as with #2. I've seen the trap employed by distance runners (although they're more likely to pick someone off against a lapped runner) and relay runners. If you're in the lead and aware of someone coming up on the inside, you still have the right of way to the inside of your lane and can move over if you haven't left your move until it's too late. Awareness of the situation behind you is easier to do now with the large stadium TV screens.

I have no idea which of these, let alone any of them, are part of Mu's thinking; these are just possibilities.
              4. To not get boxed in.
              That might seem odd if you're in front, but I know a very good runner who does that in all her races even when she is leading, because she is worried about being boxed in. Especially coming off of a turn when 2 or 3 runners often make a move, you can go from being the front runner to being in 2nd or 3rd and boxed in very quickly.

But in Mu's case, she might not have a strategic reason for running on the outside of the 1st lane. I've seen her do that in races when no one was near her.

Comment

• I would think running right in the middle of Lane 1 (not hugging the curb) would be the best overall strategy! Keep people from coming up on the inside and force people into lane 2.

Her 'outside of the lane' running might allow someone to hazard a burst inside on the turn . . . not that Mu wouldn't win anyway.

Mu doesn't have ANY change of gear. Her one gear is everyone else's HIGH.

Comment

• Hodgkinson's "WTF?!" moment:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0552883e700a7

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                    Yeah, I heard it when it happened and had to rewind to make sure I heard it. She apparently forgot that the microphone is always on when you’re in the stadium.

Comment

I didn't hear it, but wish I had!
                      After all, what the fuck is wrong with saying "What the fuck!" on worldwide TV??
                      NBC needs to get a life!

Also, check out the Huffpo article.
                      They say Hodgkinson won the Silver medal, which was correct.
                      They then say her time was "1:55.21"!!
                      Um, folks, that was Athing Mu's time!!

Maybe she was inspired by Shalane Flanagan's "Fuck yes!!" in NYC in 2017!!
                      LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                        After all, what the fuck is wrong with saying "What the fuck!" on worldwide TV??LOL
                        Cuz now she'll never land that fat Chik Fil-A sponsorship contract!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Cuz now she'll never land that fat Chik Fil-A sponsorship contract!
                          Chik-Fil-A thanks you for the compliment.

Comment

My wife heard that and immediately rewound to make sure she heard right. It was great.

Comment

• ...and Will Clay just dropped an F-bomb after a jump.

Comment

• Originally posted by asindc View Post
                                ...and Will Clay just dropped an F-bomb after a jump.
                                Ha! Yes. Was he just getting pumped? Sounded like self talk.
                                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                                X