Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 800: Athing Mu (US) 1:55.21 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

    She looked great, but nearly 5 seconds better?
    I was thinking hard from the gun, amazing time but, yes, while there may be a world record in her future, she’s not there yet.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by DrJay View Post

      I was thinking hard from the gun, amazing time but, yes, while there may be a world record in her future, she’s not there yet.
      But I'd like it if she did! She's built so perfectly for the 800 in the exact way Rudisha was. It's in her future.
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

      Comment


      • #63
        Mu looked the best by far. Goule, Reekie and Alemu looked good too. Rogers struggled and barely made it, I don’t she has much left for the final. As far as Wilson another Olympic disappointment

        Comment


        • #64
          Nicely on track for my bold prediction in the other thread of two medals for Britain. SF3 was very dramatic. One scenario for the final is that Goule tries to go with a very fast Mu pace in the final and blows up. The loss of Almanza is a bit of a shocker.

          Comment


          • #65
            I see a 156-157 final but Mu’s 400 speed should prevail

            Comment


            • #66
              HEY!! What'd I miss, along with ETH's 10.61? I overslept in NYC while the night races went off. Did Ajee' wait too long yet again to make her move, and got swallowed up by the pack and miss qualifying? I have a feeling she misses Semenya and Niyonsaba right now! ☹ And I just read that Francine got DQ'd in the 5K for bumping.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Haggis Boson View Post
                The loss of Almanza is a bit of a shocker.
                I guess her Monaco 9th was more indicative of her condition than her Stockholm win only 5 days earlier. I'd have guessed Monaco was her bad-end outlier.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Haggis Boson View Post
                  Nicely on track for my bold prediction in the other thread of two medals for Britain. SF3 was very dramatic. One scenario for the final is that Goule tries to go with a very fast Mu pace in the final and blows up. The loss of Almanza is a bit of a shocker.
                  See my post on page 3. Exactly the way it is going to go, with Goule trying to throw Mu off her rhythm, and pay for it when Mu pulls a 3-way combo of Pamela Jelimo in 2008, Donovan Brazier in Doha, and Jarmila Kratochvílová in Helsinki at the 475 mark.

                  HEY! Am I reading right? How old is Almanza? This is her 3rd Olympics, no?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Almanza is 29, and yes, 3rd OG

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Wilson was fortunate to make it through OT but this time she ran the correct race only to not have much in the tank at the end.

                      Goule looks good but which version shows up: blistering first lap or more constrained first lap?

                      Reekie seems like the better Brit and didn't have to run hard to make the final. If Mu has a bad day she has a shot at gold but likely a Silver-Bronze medalist.

                      Mu only has to replicate what she did in the semis at a higher rate to win. Easy to say, harder to do. If she leads at the bell she wins.

                      Other Brits look more like fodder (yes, our Keely is 19) but this isn't a strong field so they can sneak off with a bronze if bad things befell the better runners.

                      Wang ran the race of her life. We shouldn't expect anything better.

                      Rogers is a wild card. She didn't get into a comfortable position in the semi and expended too much energy fiddling. She could finish 8th or steal a gold if there is failure among the better runners. She has never run as fast as Goule, Mu or Reekie. She'd love a 59 first quarter but shouldn't expect it.

                      Mu goes out in 57 and comes back in 58.5 makes sense with Goule/Reekie hanging on for as long as they can seems the best bet.
                      Last edited by booond; 07-31-2021, 07:58 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        I wonder if Mu got out early to avoid traffic? Since she can, it would be her best option going forward. Don't let anyone trip you.
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          At this stage its going to be a procession...Mu and the others behind. 1:55 I think if she needs to go there. World record talk out of the question.
                          Apparently Ignorance is bliss

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by booond View Post
                            Wilson was fortunate to make it through OT but this time she ran the correct race only to not have much in the tank at the end.

                            Goule looks good but which version shows up: blistering first lap or more constrained first lap?

                            Reekie seems like the better Brit and didn't have to run hard to make the final. If Mu has a bad day she has a shot at gold but likely a Silver-Bronze medalist.

                            Mu only has to replicate what she did in the semis at a higher rate to win. Easy to say, harder to do. If she leads at the bell she wins.

                            Other Brits look more like fodder (yes, our Kelly is 19) but this isn't a strong field so they can sneak off with a bronze if bad things befell the better runners.

                            Wang ran the race of her life. We shouldn't expect anything better.

                            Rogers is a wild card. She didn't get into a comfortable position in the semi and expended too much energy fiddling. She could finish 8th or steal a gold if there is failure among the better runners. She has never run as fast as Goule, Mu or Reekie. She'd love a 59 first quarter but shouldn't expect it.

                            Mu goes out in 57 and comes back in 58.5 makes sense with Goule/Reekie hanging on for as long as they can seems the best bet.
                            You're implying that Muir and Reekie can run 1.56 but Keely can't?

                            Anyway it may not need a .1.56 effort to medal. If its slow for *the bunch* at the bell Keely will get silver. That's why its really important not just Goule's tactics but from how far out Mu decides to take it.

                            I think Goule has to fancy her chances. I just can't imagine her letting Mu go and hanging around to scrap for the minor places with the bunch. And she may think she can tempt Mu into blowing up because remember anyone can blow up!! Goule is like Muir used to be.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                              I wonder if Mu got out early to avoid traffic? Since she can, it would be her best option going forward. Don't let anyone trip you.
                              Mu has lane 3 with just Bell and Wang inside her and Keely immediately outside her so she probably doesn't even have to go off wildly fast to get clear. If she'd been outside Goule it could have been more 'interesting'.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post
                                World record talk out of the question.
                                My take as well. The winner would have to go out at 55, and I really can't see Mu doing that (and I think the rest of the field will key off of her).
                                The only way to beat her is to get to to 600m first and anyone who tries to do that won't have much left. Her finishing speed is dictated by stride, not turnover, and she never looks like she's affected by pace (which of course she is, but she still keeps her stride fluid).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X