Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 800: Athing Mu (US) 1:55.21 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haggis Boson View Post

You're implying that Muir and Reekie can run 1.56 but Keely can't?

Anyway it may not need a .1.56 effort to medal. If its slow for *the bunch* at the bell Keely will get silver. That's why its really important not just Goule's tactics but from how far out Mu decides to take it.

I think Goule has to fancy her chances. I just can't imagine her letting Mu go and hanging around to scrap for the minor places with the bunch. And she may think she can tempt Mu into blowing up because remember anyone can blow up!! Goule is like Muir used to be.
    Keely hasn't run 1:56. I'm not implying anything but what are facts. She ran 1:57.51 as a one-off not as part of three races.

Mu, I believe, is the only person in the field who has run 1:56 as the third race in a series.

Yes, it may not need 1:56 to medal but with Goule and Mu in the race it is likely to take something close to win or get silver.

Goule has become a better racer as she's aged. She can win but only if Mu is not on her game.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
      HEY!! What'd I miss, along with ETH's 10.61? I overslept in NYC while the night races went off. Did Ajee' wait too long yet again to make her move, and got swallowed up by the pack and miss qualifying? I have a feeling she misses Semenya and Niyonsaba right now! ☹ And I just read that Francine got DQ'd in the 5K for bumping.
      I believe the DQ was for stepping off the track but that's another event.

Comment

The semis were just weird in the approach. They were run as if the final was tomorrow. It's Tuesday. No need to conserve energy. We likely got the proper finalists but I didn't get the tactics.

I think one reason some of us concern ourselves with Mu tripping is because she looks like she's afraid of tripping. That's even to the point of running on the outside of lane 1 while leading which could bite her in the behind if challenged at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
          The semis were just weird in the approach. They were run as if the final was tomorrow. It's Tuesday. No need to conserve energy. We likely got the proper finalists but I didn't get the tactics.
          Goule, Reekie, and Mu naturally conserved energy due to weak fields; Alemu conserved energy by not competing with Mu.
          Wilson, Arafi, Nakaayi, and Almanza didn't have much to give.
          Keely and Rogers allowed Wang to own that heat, which was strange and almost cost Rogers a spot in the final.

It isn't a good field with eight confident runners. The 2017 Wilson is missing, there is no Semenya or Bishop or Niyonsaba; Kate Grace would be a solid addition.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post

Keely hasn't run 1:56. I'm not implying anything but what are facts. She ran 1:57.51 as a one-off not as part of three races.

Mu, I believe, is the only person in the field who has run 1:56 as the third race in a series.

Yes, it may not need 1:56 to medal but with Goule and Mu in the race it is likely to take something close to win or get silver.

Goule has become a better racer as she's aged. She can win but only if Mu is not on her game.
            I think the chances of Goule blowing up are high, she’s been more consistent this season but has never been able to put 3 races together, she went with the pace in Doha, was 2nd at the bell but faded to finish 6th. Mu will take it out and there’s no way she won’t be tempted to go with the pace.

Not sure about Rogers, I don’t think she’s in 2019 form. Her finishes were very strong that year but we didn’t see that in the semi today. Hodgkinson impressed me, she was at the back of the field with 100 to go but came past everyone including Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by trailrun View Post

I think the chances of Goule blowing up are high, she’s been more consistent this season but has never been able to put 3 races together, she went with the pace in Doha, was 2nd at the bell but faded to finish 6th. Mu will take it out and there’s no way she won’t be tempted to go with the pace.

Not sure about Rogers, I don’t think she’s in 2019 form. Her finishes were very strong that year but we didn’t see that in the semi today. Hodgkinson impressed me, she was at the back of the field with 100 to go but came past everyone including Rogers
              Does Goule have any choice but to go with Mu? If she wants to win she has to stick with her.

I agree about Rogers who has had one good race all year - the OT.

Keely looked okay but was kicking off a slow pace against people who couldn't run 1:59.5.

Someone in the field has to get the lead and control the first 400 hoping that Mu has issues behind them; hire out Wang to do a Tonya Harding job on Mu

Comment

Great Britain 3, USA 2 finalists = 1.Mu, 2. Goule, 3. Hodkinson

Comment

Mu Reekie Goulye

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                    Great Britain 3, USA 2 finalists = 1.Mu, 2. Goule, 3. Hodkinson
                    I just did the math, but I have a different answer!

1. Mu, 2. Rogers, 3. Reekie

Comment

Disappointed for Ajee but as other have noted, she hasn’t looked herself all season long.

I’d like to see Mu do a Rudisha and dare everyone else to try to go with her. My prediction:

1. Mu
                      2. Reekie
                      3. Wang (a big surprise, I know, but the 800 tends to produce such surprises).

Comment

I though Rogers had a medal going until her semi. She just evaporated in the stretch. Couple of rest days and a late evening race might make the difference.

Comment

I just saw that Alex Bell, who only got into the Olympics because Laura Muir dropped the 800, has a higher world ranking in the 800 than Athing Mu.

It doesn't seem like the world rankings are very accurate.

Comment

Mu with ease....

Comment

Hodgekinson GB 2nd. Rogers 3rd.

Comment

1:55.22 AR!

Comment

Working...
                                X