Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 800: Athing Mu (US) 1:55.21 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Haggis Boson View Post

I think she judged it perfectly. The biggest question is what happened to Goule, she seemed to give up once the medals had got away but wonder if she was tired from her hard sf?
    Didn't they have 3 days to recover?

Comment

• Originally posted by tm71 View Post
      Totally dominating. Amazing that two teens went 1-2. Both were 14 when Rio was going on
      Running in 2021 versus 2020 completely changed this event.

Beautiful races for all three medalists.

Comment

• Mu reminded me of David Rudisha in 2012 when he was a de facto rabbit pulling the field to PR's and NR's galore. The difference is that even Rudisha didn't negative split in his Olympic win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post
          Ever so often an athlete comes around that I get excited for. Right now its Mu I would like over the next two seasons for her to go at both the 400m and the 800m. Shes so classy.
          And with Hodgkinson running 1:55.88, these two could go at it for the next 10 years; and Rogers will be there for at least the next 5.

I hope Mu sticks with Pat Henry as her coach. Is he coaching pros at some sort of track club he set up, like Clyde Hart did (MJ being one of his students) while he was still coach at Baylor?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            Mu reminded me of David Rudisha in 2012 when he was a de facto rabbit pulling the field to PR's and NR's galore. The difference is that even Rudisha didn't negative split in his Olympic win.
            And that's the scary part for the rest of the field. What if they had taken out in 57.00? She would have scared the WR and definitely broken Jelimo's WJR of 1:54.01. She may yet have the latter before the year is over.

Comment

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

I hope Mu sticks with Pat Henry as her coach. Is he coaching pros at some sort of track club he set up, like Clyde Hart did (MJ being one of his students) while he was still coach at Baylor?
              I don't know this for a fact but I'm doubtful that Henry is coaching her. He's a sprint coach.
              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 08-03-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Mu seems too nice to have that killer instinct that leads to a London-Rudisha-like 800, hammering the whole way. She needs someone to push her to 1:53 (or 1:52) but not sure anyone can right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

And that's the scary part for the rest of the field. What if they had taken out in 57.00? She would have scared the WR and definitely broken Jelimo's WJR of 1:54.01. She may yet have the latter before the year is over.
                  What so impressive about Mu is how evenly she doses her energy out over the entire 800 meters. There have been other frontrunners like Alysia Montano who dosed their energy out of 600-700 meters and then pray for the best. Mu doesn't hold on in desperation in the last 100m, she just continues to pull away.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                    Mu seems too nice to have that killer instinct that leads to a London-Rudisha-like 800, hammering the whole way. She needs someone to push her to 1:53 (or 1:52) but not sure anyone can right now.
                    She is a sweetheart, isn't she? Maybe she can develop a littler killer...just a little.
                    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Mu seems too nice to have that killer instinct that leads to a London-Rudisha-like 800, hammering the whole way. She needs someone to push her to 1:53 (or 1:52) but not sure anyone can right now.
                      I doubt that Rudisha would have tried that tactic at the 2008 Olympics when he was just 19. Mu is still discovering what her potential is so give her time because I'm certain that the best is yet to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                        I don't know this far a fact but I'm doubtful that Henry is coaching her. He's a sprint coach.
                        Anyone else think she could be coached by Mickey Mouse - with the same results?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Anyone else think she could be coached by Mickey Mouse - with the same results?
                          Okay, completely not relevant except maybe to me but in the semis Mu had her hair in a double bun sorta of sticking up on the sides and I thought "Mini mouse" and now you mention Mickey, so...yeah. 🤷‍♂️
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Hire a rabbit who can easily run a 54, and have Mu right behind her!
                            BOOM---you've got your Warholmesque WR of 1:52 or faster!!

Comment

• Mu ran the first lap so smoothly that I thought it was slow until I saw the split. And then she just pulled away.

Comment

A big piece of me says she played it safe: Go out, take control of the race, don't let anyone pass, then pick the right spot to make that move to win.

Now that the Olympics are over, she can go for broke to take the WL down to where no one has been in nearly 40 years (except maybe Jelimo). She'll have Hodgkinson, Rogers, Reekie, Muir and Grace chasing her, to no avail.

WOOPS! I almost forgot: She has to run the 4x400. She gets the anchor, of course, even if Syd and/or Dalilah go 50.xx in the 400H.
                                Last edited by CookyMonzta; 08-03-2021, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X