Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 800: Athing Mu (US) 1:55.21 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by asindc View Post

Yeah, I heard it when it happened and had to rewind to make sure I heard it. She apparently forgot that the microphone is always on when you’re in the stadium.
    On the other hand, Purrier knew the microphone was on when she was interviewed at the US Trial.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

4. To not get boxed in.
    That might seem odd if you're in front, but I know a very good runner who does that in all her races even when she is leading, because she is worried about being boxed in. Especially coming off of a turn when 2 or 3 runners often make a move, you can go from being the front runner to being in 2nd or 3rd and boxed in very quickly.

But in Mu's case, she might not have a strategic reason for running on the outside of the 1st lane. I've seen her do that in races when no one was near her.
    Mu also has a relatively longer stride, which may make it more comfortable to be out a bit wider on the curves.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Cuz now she'll never land that fat Chik Fil-A sponsorship contract!
    Would be an interesting choice. A chain that's not in the UK using a young woman from Northern England.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by asindc View Post
    ...and Will Clay just dropped an F-bomb after a jump.
    Ha! Yes. Was he just getting pumped? Sounded like self talk.

Leave a comment:

• asindc
    replied
    ...and Will Clay just dropped an F-bomb after a jump.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    My wife heard that and immediately rewound to make sure she heard right. It was great.

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Chik-Fil-A thanks you for the compliment.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    After all, what the fuck is wrong with saying "What the fuck!" on worldwide TV??LOL

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    I didn't hear it, but wish I had!
    After all, what the fuck is wrong with saying "What the fuck!" on worldwide TV??
    NBC needs to get a life!

Also, check out the Huffpo article.
    They say Hodgkinson won the Silver medal, which was correct.
    They then say her time was "1:55.21"!!
    Um, folks, that was Athing Mu's time!!

Maybe she was inspired by Shalane Flanagan's "Fuck yes!!" in NYC in 2017!!
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• asindc
    replied
    Yeah, I heard it when it happened and had to rewind to make sure I heard it. She apparently forgot that the microphone is always on when you’re in the stadium.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Hodgkinson's "WTF?!" moment:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0552883e700a7

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    I would think running right in the middle of Lane 1 (not hugging the curb) would be the best overall strategy! Keep people from coming up on the inside and force people into lane 2.

Her 'outside of the lane' running might allow someone to hazard a burst inside on the turn . . . not that Mu wouldn't win anyway.

Mu doesn't have ANY change of gear. Her one gear is everyone else's HIGH.

Leave a comment:

• RunningInCircles
    replied
    Originally posted by dj View Post

Yes, three that I'm aware of. But first, I don't know that Mu always runs wide when in a lane. I think that's probably true only when she has the pole in a multi-lap race.

As for the three tactical reasons:
    1. Force trailing runners wider on the curve;
    2. Give yourself track on the left in case you're bumped from the outside; you don't want to be taking a step on the rail or inside it;
    3. Set a trap for runners who think they can sneak through on the inside.

Number 1 is dubious as the relative distance run remains the same to Mu regardless of where she is. It's also the most common reason given.
    Number 2 is the best reason so far as pack running goes, but it requires being aware of what's coming up from behind on the inside, when you're always thinking about what's coming on the outside.
    Number 3 is difficult but useful. You have to be aware of trailing people on both sides, as with #2. I've seen the trap employed by distance runners (although they're more likely to pick someone off against a lapped runner) and relay runners. If you're in the lead and aware of someone coming up on the inside, you still have the right of way to the inside of your lane and can move over if you haven't left your move until it's too late. Awareness of the situation behind you is easier to do now with the large stadium TV screens.

I have no idea which of these, let alone any of them, are part of Mu's thinking; these are just possibilities.
    4. To not get boxed in.
    That might seem odd if you're in front, but I know a very good runner who does that in all her races even when she is leading, because she is worried about being boxed in. Especially coming off of a turn when 2 or 3 runners often make a move, you can go from being the front runner to being in 2nd or 3rd and boxed in very quickly.

But in Mu's case, she might not have a strategic reason for running on the outside of the 1st lane. I've seen her do that in races when no one was near her.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by dj View Post

I think that's probably true only when she has the pole in a multi-lap race.
    Yes, this was the scenario i was thinking about.

i guess i ask as i don’t see others doing this. But your first two make some tactical sense.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy View Post
    Mu always runs very wide in the lane. Is there a good tactical reason for this?
    Yes, three that I'm aware of. But first, I don't know that Mu always runs wide when in a lane. I think that's probably true only when she has the pole in a multi-lap race.

As for the three tactical reasons:
    1. Force trailing runners wider on the curve;
    2. Give yourself track on the left in case you're bumped from the outside; you don't want to be taking a step on the rail or inside it;
    3. Set a trap for runners who think they can sneak through on the inside.

Number 1 is dubious as the relative distance run remains the same to Mu regardless of where she is. It's also the most common reason given.
    Number 2 is the best reason so far as pack running goes, but it requires being aware of what's coming up from behind on the inside, when you're always thinking about what's coming on the outside.
    Number 3 is difficult but useful. You have to be aware of trailing people on both sides, as with #2. I've seen the trap employed by distance runners (although they're more likely to pick someone off against a lapped runner) and relay runners. If you're in the lead and aware of someone coming up on the inside, you still have the right of way to the inside of your lane and can move over if you haven't left your move until it's too late. Awareness of the situation behind you is easier to do now with the large stadium TV screens.

I have no idea which of these, let alone any of them, are part of Mu's thinking; these are just possibilities.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X