Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1) ETH
    2)Mboma
    3)Thomas

WR watch : )

Comment

• Originally posted by chukuyute View Post
      That’s the thing when Athletes are in this rare form you cannot see their finals time. I remember everyone being shocked at MJ 19.32 after running 19.6 in the semi I think. Same with Bolt in 09 after his 100m, Flojo 21.5 in the semi. Cmon bro you got to recognize this kind of form when u see it. It’s not normal. We can just gauge her time but I believe it’s gonna look unbelievable after the race. A superhuman 21.2 is not out of the realm. Being in 10.5 form screams world record. I’ve watch her semi now over 5 times. Go back and watch Flojo and MJ semifinals run before their finals unbelievable times. Believe what you are seeing.
      She's in amazing form, and I'll believe a world record when I'm seeing it. Sometimes people see what they want to see before it's in their hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

She's in amazing form, and I'll believe a world record when I'm seeing it. Sometimes people see what they want to see before it's in their hand.
        I understand, but to say see what I want to see would’ve been accurate if I was not basing this upon history. I started watching track and field in 1988 and I can just go by on what I’ve seen in the past. In my opinion ppl on here talking about a potential WR is not fantasy cuckoo stuff because we’ve previously seen athletes resembling this kind of rare form. I’ve seen Flojo, MJ, Bolt and now ET run. Look on the way they were running leading up to the finals and a fair assessment on Thompson can be made.

Comment

You know what, I agree. The WR is out of reach in my opinion. Thomson though can get a PB and possibly run 21.4. I cant see the 21.3 unless SAFP goes to 150 with her. I think shelly also PB's in this final.
          Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
            Let's be honest any guesses aside from Thompson at this point are splitting hairs. I don't think anyone would be surprised with any combination of Thompson, SAFP, Ta Lou, Thomas, SMU and Mboma as the top 3.

Pick your favorites and close your eyes for 21-22 seconds.
            That's about how I see it too, though Thompson looks overwhelmingly like the one to beat. What an electrifying final at hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trackrunner View Post
              Is there any reason to think that with +wind 21.34 could not be challenged? 11.2 curve + 10.1 straightaway.
              I posted this back on page 2 not long after Elaine's 100M win. I say with good conditions - meaning warm weather, no rain and positive wind - 21.34 can be challenged. It was raining heavily for part of the meet today and most of the sprint finals have had negative or no wind so far. So that is the big wild card.

Comment

I understand, but to say see what I want to see would’ve been accurate if I was not basing this upon history. I started watching track and field in 1988 and I can just go by on what I’ve seen in the past. In my opinion ppl on here talking about a potential WR is not fantasy cuckoo stuff because we’ve previously seen athletes resembling this kind of rare form. I’ve seen Flojo, MJ, Bolt and now ET run. Look on the way they were running leading up to the finals and a fair assessment on Thompson can be made.
                And you may well be seeing something I've missed, and you're right on the mark.

Comment

• I still see a world record for ETH. I don’t see how anybody can see anything other than a Jamaican 1-2. The race will be for third. This version of Gaby Thomas is nothing like what we saw at US trials. The overhype for her and ShaCarri is very real.

Comment

And you may well be seeing something I've missed, and you're right on the mark.
                    Nothing is guaranteed. I’m just making a fair assessment. I’ve seen and learn that with this type of form you cannot put a time on it. No one saw 21.34, 19.32 and 19.19 coming at the time they were ran. I’m just judging by the way in which they were running in the Olympics at that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by hipNrip View Post
                      I still see a world record for ETH. I don’t see how anybody can see anything other than a Jamaican 1-2. The race will be for third. This version of Gaby Thomas is nothing like what we saw at US trials. The overhype for her and ShaCarri is very real.
                      I don’t know about SCR yet. She looks legit to me. That girl is seriously fast man but I want to see her times outside the United States. I remember Bolt running an easy 9.76 in Jamaica when he just started and ppl didn’t believe that time. Which was fair. He came to NY and prove it was no fluke with a 9.72 WR. I want to see SCR out of the US to see if I can get a read on her but she looks scary good to me.

Comment

she looks scary good to me.
                        COULD BE scary good. But you said it: she hasn’t done anything outside of the US. And had she been here, I suspect she would have been soundly beaten. She has a long way to go.

Comment

COULD BE scary good. But you said it: she hasn’t done anything outside of the US. And had she been here, I suspect she would have been soundly beaten. She has a long way to go.
                          So did Evelyn Ashford in 1977 when she ran 22.62 AR at the US champs, and 23.41 at the World Cup in Europe. Two years later, 21.83 outside the US at the World Cup. She didn't start running really fast outside the US, after emerging as an unknown 19 year old who placed 5th in Montreal in the 100 in 11.24, until 1979.

How much opportunity has Richardson had to run outside the US since her NCAA win 2 years ago? Not worth mentioning at this point.

Comment

Yes. You have cats like Tyson, Gatlin, etc that ran great outside of the USA. So it doesn’t apply to everyone. Gabby too is too early to read but clearly she is not in 21.6 shape to me. I believe what my eyes are telling me about SCR. She looks right now like a 10.7 sprinter to me but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Gabby too is too early to read but clearly she is not in 21.6 shape to me.
                              Adjusted for wind, she ran a faster semi here than in Eugene. Aside from her coach Buford-Baliey, I would bet no one thought she was in 21.6 shape until she actually ran it. Not saying she will run that tomorrow, but I think she is being a bit undervalued when in reality, she is in line or close to probably everyone except ETH.

Comment

• I do think the ability to perform outside the US (particularly on the Diamond league circuit) is a good indicator. Guys like Tyson, Gatlin have dominated on the circuit. Jenna Prandini has been so and so along with Gabby Thomas. I have confidence in Lyles and Bednarek because they've proved they can perform in all types of conditions on the circuit. This doesn't just apply to only US athletes. Whether you Chinese, Australian, South African etc, I feel it's important to expose yourself to high-level competition outside your country.

That being said, I expected MUCH more from Prandini and Battle. I think some may be over-hyping Gabby Thomas? 22.01 in a semi-final is a very respectable time. I personally estimated she would be in 21.8-9 shape for the Olympics. I think her performance is just about where you expect it. She has proved to me that she is the real deal (someone who can make finals and fight for podium finishes).

Comment

Working...
                                X