Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Adjusted for wind, she ran a faster semi here than in Eugene. Aside from her coach Buford-Baliey, I would bet no one thought she was in 21.6 shape until she actually ran it. Not saying she will run that tomorrow, but I think she is being a bit undervalued when in reality, she is in line or close to probably everyone except ETH.
    You probably right but I’ve watch her 2 rounds so far and she look better in the heat than semifinals to me. I saw her laboring and grimacing the last 50m. She didn’t look relax to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by chukuyute View Post

You probably right but I’ve watch her 2 rounds so far and she look better in the heat than semifinals to me. I saw her laboring and grimacing the last 50m. She didn’t look relax to me.
      Thats fair. I think the field is so deep, were getting down to really nitpicking how everyone looked compared to each other and in the rounds. Picking a clear bronze and silver is flipping a coin at this point.

Also note this is Thomas' 4th best time ever, only behind what she did at Trials. So its far from an under performance by any stretch. She's essentially showing she is a championship performer and puts on when it counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

Michael Johnson is saying the same on BBC right now. Apparently there's been talk with track and swimming that not having a pre-Olympic camp is a factor in this subpar performances?
        Swimming? subpar? If that's the case maybe expectations are too high.

The US in Tokyo has had some real disappointments without the corresponding suprises thus far.

Comment

Thats fair. I think the field is so deep, were getting down to really nitpicking how everyone looked compared to each other and in the rounds. Picking a clear bronze and silver is flipping a coin at this point.

Also note this is Thomas' 4th best time ever, only behind what she did at Trials. So its far from an under performance by any stretch. She's essentially showing she is a championship performer and puts on when it counts.
          I hope you are right with Gabby. I just went back and watch her 21.94 semifinals trial run. She looked much better to me there. She looked very relaxed. I want to see a sick finals run. 3 women under 21.7 in the final would be historic just like the 100m. If your take is correct at least 3 women will be under 21.7

Comment

• Originally posted by chukuyute View Post
            If your take is correct at least 3 women will be under 21.7
            Note that Im not predicting times. Im just predicting a wide open race where anyone can finish between 2-6 (aside from maybe Kambunji). Though 5 women sub 22 would be amazing

Comment

Note that Im not predicting times. Im just predicting a wide open race where anyone can finish between 2-6 (aside from maybe Kambunji). Though 5 women sub 22 would be amazing
              Ok no problem. Gabby just doesn’t look that fluid to me to run faster than 21.6

Comment

• Originally posted by Trackrunner View Post

. . . . with good conditions - meaning warm weather, no rain and positive wind - 21.34 can be challenged.
                Back in the 70s when the preferred surface was tartan, a modest amount of water on the track could actually enhance sprint times, provided that it wasn't accompanied by cold and wind. Is the same still true of our modern tracks?

Comment

• Originally posted by cigar95 View Post

Back in the 70s when the preferred surface was tartan, a modest amount of water on the track could actually enhance sprint times, provided that it wasn't accompanied by cold and wind. Is the same still true of our modern tracks?
                  Is there something about air pressure changes also before or after rain? Might have read that on here once?

Comment

• Felix ran 21.69 in Eugene in 2012 and then 21.88 in London so anticipated around the same drop for Thomas with a 21.8 in the final here.

Would US athletes typically not race between Trials and the Games as I noted a fair few including these 200m athletes not racing since?

Thomas was caught off guard twice and then had no choice but to push it very hard at the end of her semi. If she can work the transition off the bend I think she can medal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

Michael Johnson is saying the same on BBC right now. Apparently there's been talk with track and swimming that not having a pre-Olympic camp is a factor in this subpar performances?
                      Huh? USA Swimming gave athletes the chance to train in Hawaii for weeks leading up to the Games, AND did a precamp in Japan. https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...olympic-games/

USATF did not even give athletes the chance to train in Chula Vista or Colorado. They didn't even have a relay camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                        How much time will it take for the legal maneuvers to add the 200m to the restricted list? If it takes a couple of years, that's enough time for Mboma to get into sub-21 territory.
                        I think World Athletics could make it happen by next season. It could be appealed to CAS again, but CAS basically said before that you need data to support that there is an advantage. Now WA has that data.

I would not be shocked if Mboma breaks the world record in the final. Or maybe she stumbles out of the blocks and finishes 8th.

She will break the world record next year if she is not restricted.

It does seem like there are enough "out" elite women with DSDs that meets could start thinking about contesting competitions for them. World Athletics won't count the marks or records, but it would help keep their situation in the news and help them earn money.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                          It does seem like there are enough "out" elite women with DSDs that meets could start thinking about contesting competitions for them. World Athletics won't count the marks or records, but it would help keep their situation in the news and help them earn money.
                          Their marks should be counted*, but for ranking and records purposes the marks should be compared against men. Mboma's 48.54 as an 18 year old currently matches #52 for U20 African males.

*as long as they're not in a hurdles or throwing event where they're using women's implements.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

Huh? USA Swimming gave athletes the chance to train in Hawaii for weeks leading up to the Games, AND did a precamp in Japan. https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...olympic-games/

USATF did not even give athletes the chance to train in Chula Vista or Colorado. They didn't even have a relay camp.
                            *shrugs*

Just passing on what MJ said. Shocking since he's usually accurate with his information.

Comment

• These comments attributed to Coach Francis re Shericka Jackson excusing her as a rookie are pretty dumb IMO.

"She is not a senior athlete, she is a senior athlete in the 400m and a rookie at the 200m."

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                                Felix ran 21.69 in Eugene in 2012 and then 21.88 in London so anticipated around the same drop for Thomas with a 21.8 in the final here.

Would US athletes typically not race between Trials and the Games as I noted a fair few including these 200m athletes not racing since?
                                The time frame between USAs and the start of the Games this year was one of the shortest ever. And in light of travel, covid and the location of the Games relative to the USA (13-16 hour time difference from Tokyo) the travel to Europe didn't make sense.

For example, of the last 4 Olympics (Athens, Beijing, London, Rio) all except London started the 2nd week of August or later. Even London started Aug 3rd, but travel is easier to the UK and they had the ability to set up camps in various places in Europe while running the circuit.

Comment

Working...
                                X