Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    These comments attributed to Coach Francis re Shericka Jackson excusing her as a rookie are pretty dumb IMO.

"She is not a senior athlete, she is a senior athlete in the 400m and a rookie at the 200m."
    Who is he trying to fool?

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
      The time frame between USAs and the start of the Games this year was one of the shortest ever. And in light of travel, covid and the location of the Games relative to the USA the travel to Europe didn't make sense.
      Making this year's post-OG Diamond League all the more intriguing. Pre, 8/20-21, and then Europe, 8/26 thru 9/9, gives them rest and refocus time.

Comment

These comments attributed to Coach Francis re Shericka Jackson excusing her as a rookie are pretty dumb IMO.

"She is not a senior athlete, she is a senior athlete in the 400m and a rookie at the 200m."
        A rookie in the 200m, after running it in the Commonwealth Games and several Diamond League meets in 2018?

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

A rookie in the 200m, after running it in the Commonwealth Games and several Diamond League meets in 2018?
          Her rookie status in the 100m didn't prevent her getting a bronze medal.

Comment

• Originally posted by J2thaD View Post

You should probably learn what science means before making yourself look like a triggered moron.
            Thank you for your articulate, science-based response.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

I think World Athletics could make it happen by next season. It could be appealed to CAS again, but CAS basically said before that you need data to support that there is an advantage. Now WA has that data.

I would not be shocked if Mboma breaks the world record in the final. Or maybe she stumbles out of the blocks and finishes 8th.

She will break the world record next year if she is not restricted.

It does seem like there are enough "out" elite women with DSDs that meets could start thinking about contesting competitions for them. World Athletics won't count the marks or records, but it would help keep their situation in the news and help them earn money.
              Call me a heretic, but IMHO singling out naturally occurring T levels for sanction is just plain wrong. In one way or another, every world class athlete is a "freak of nature", with physical characteristics far outside the norm which define their advantage over the rest of us average types. Shaunae is blessed with her over 6'2"ft height, SAFP with her powerful legs, ET with a physique perfectly proportioned for sprinting, etc, etc. Mbomba does not appear to be packing as much muscle as many of her competitors, she isn't particularly tall, and I'm not seeing how she has any more of an "unfair" advantage than any of her rivals in this field. Can anyone credibly claim she is not a woman? I think not.

Comment

• Originally posted by That70sGuy View Post

Call me a heretic, but IMHO singling out naturally occurring T levels for sanction is just plain wrong. In one way or another, every world class athlete is a "freak of nature", with physical characteristics far outside the norm which define their advantage over the rest of us average types. Shaunae is blessed with her over 6'2"ft height, SAFP with her powerful legs, ET with a physique perfectly proportioned for sprinting, etc, etc. Mbomba does not appear to be packing as much muscle as many of her competitors, she isn't particularly tall, and I'm not seeing how she has any more of an "unfair" advantage than any of her rivals in this field. Can anyone credibly claim she is not a woman? I think not.
                We don't know her physical characteristics exactly. All we know is that she apparently falls under the DSD category as that is the only way she would be banned from 400-1500. And DSD category requires XY among other things; Nambian athletics claims XX. We have conflicting info.

Most of us are being respectful of her being a woman, just questioning the details physically as she would not have been banned without some anomaly.

There has to be some sort of physical requirement for elite women's sport other than gender identity as that does not always match what is fair and in the best interests of female athletes as whole

Comment

Yup pretty stupid. If the instructions were to coast in third place, I can't wrap my head around that. I dont understand why athletes don't run hard enough to place first. Was she really going to conserve that much more energy by sneaking in at third spot vs running the first 100m at 90% and then cruising the last half doing just enough to stay first. When you're trying to jockey into third, it's not hard to lose track of people in lanes far from you and even harder to gauge their closing speed etc. Whatever, hopefully this stupidity ends next year.

Comment

• Counterfactuals with Mboma, if (1) Semenya had never run the 400 so it was not regulated OR (2) Mboma had never entered a regulated event (trained only for 100/200) I don't think we would ever have known Mboma was regulated DSD (which we do know what physical characteristics that includes). In either case, I think Mboma would be breaking a WR in this Olympics, the 200 or the 400. Mboma may still be growing.

Comment

• Wowsa. SMU is in great form in the 400m. I’m really interested to see what she do in the 200m final tomorrow. A good athlete is gonna be off da podium.

Comment

• Though any order behind ETH still wouldn't surprise me, after watching SMU in the 400m, I actually feel even more confident about her medal chances here.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          Though any order behind ETH still wouldn't surprise me, after watching SMU in the 400m, I actually feel even more confident about her medal chances here.
                          This might be as crazy as the 100m in terms of a time needed to be on the podium. It might take a sub 21.8 to medal.

Comment

• Originally posted by cigar95 View Post

Back in the 70s when the preferred surface was tartan, a modest amount of water on the track could actually enhance sprint times, provided that it wasn't accompanied by cold and wind. Is the same still true of our modern tracks?
                            Don't know enough to say if this is true, hopefully the technology is sophisticated enough that water in the form of rain does not at least inhibit performance.

Comment

• It's timeeee.

Comment

• This should be fun : )

Comment

Working...
                                X