Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gm View Post
    Fraser-Pryce way off her winning time from Jamaican nationals. Has to be counted as a miserable failure.
    A bit harsh? A 21.94 is a final is most definitely not a 'miserable failure'. It's her 2nd time under 22 sec if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

• Well Elaine just said on BBC that she's barely slept since the 100 and that the 2 rounds yesterday in the 200 took a lot out of her. To run 21.53 after all of that???

I wonder what she would've ran with a more "normal" schedule. They really need to go back to a normal schedule. 3 rounds 3 days. 110m/100m hurdles, semi's and finals same night.

Comment

• Originally posted by chukuyute View Post

She did good but cmon bro she ran the second fastest time ever at Eugene and then ran a 21.87 in Tokyo. That’s way off. Be fair. Thompson PB but nowhere near 21.34. So I was way off
        Gabby was a lot closer to her top form than anyone here expected. And this is only the 4th time she broke 22.00 (which I bet you didn't expect at all), and she did it all in less than 2 months of a single year.

Comment

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

That is exactly what I implied with my post pages ago. Had she run as fast as the others in the first 100, we might have seen a 21.0x or even 20.99 today. That would have set off all sorts of alarm bells.
          I really wished that happened for chaos purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
            Well Elaine just said on BBC that she's barely slept since the 100 and that the 2 rounds yesterday in the 200 took a lot out of her. To run 21.53 after all of that???

I wonder what she would've ran with a more "normal" schedule. They really need to go back to a normal schedule. 3 rounds 3 days. 110m/100m hurdles, semi's and finals same night.
            I'm interesting to see what she will run on the diamond league circuit! Hoping she will really go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelex View Post

A bit harsh? A 21.94 is a final is most definitely not a 'miserable failure'. It's her 2nd time under 22 sec if I'm not mistaken.
              That was a response to the troll who's been bashing the U.S. performances when they barely missed out on gold. And if I'm not mistaken, only Ottey has broken 22.00 at Shelly's age.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                Fraser-Pryce way off her winning time from Jamaican nationals. Has to be counted as a miserable failure.
                Since when is 0.15s considered "way off"? Gabby was off 0.26s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

I really wished that happened for chaos purposes.
                  We may get that next year in Eugene.

Comment

That is exactly what I implied with my post pages ago. Had she run as fast as the others in the first 100, we might have seen a 21.0x or even 20.99 today. That would have set off all sorts of alarm bells.
                    Commentator introduction to the event was "These women have been training 5 years for this moment." More like five weeks for Mboma and Masilingi. Imagine Mboma with five years of sprint training.

Comment

• I don't know what to say about this race that hasn't already been said. Not really surprised that ETH didn't approach the WR...21.34 is flying, thought she could break into the 21.4's but still, what an awesome feat for her, repeating as double gold medallist.

Mboma...yikes, unbelievable finish. Interested to see how this situation plays out, she seems in a different universe than all the other women in the last 50m.

Gabby Thomas, what a fighter to push through for that bronze medal from lane 3. Despite being off her Eugene performance time-wise, I think she backed up her performance emphatically. This was a loaded event and despite some competitors falling by the wayside (DAS, SJ) and SMU tanking it in, she won a medal. I don't think many people would have predicted this six months ago.

Comment

• The reason I did not see a world record coming was because it appeared that ETH ran very hard for at least the first 150 or 160 then shut down slightly in the semi. That's why I said at most 21.46.

The other and bigger piece is that Flojo ran a 48.08 anchor, chasing Bryzgina, a 48.27 runner, who was running like her life depended on it - well who was right behind her.? ETH is not a 48.08 runner. Not yet.

Why does ETH avoid her competitors after a race? I find that strange. Is she shy? Even Marlies Gohr and her East German compatriot took Evelyn's hands and ran a victory lap with her after she'd broken the world record in Zurich. Ashford said even she didn't think she'd have done that, the way she felt about them. And we know why she felt what she did.
                        Last edited by 1.609; 08-03-2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

But we don't know how long that will take to complete. If it's a 2-year legal battle, sub-21 is going to happen.
                          Maybe she'll take up the long jump..... meanwhile in weightlifting a NZ heavyweight is allowed to compete at twice the level of testosterone that WA say is the max for 400-1500. The whole issue will be a battle in the next 3 years once again. The XX and XY and somewhere in between issue goes all the way back to the '32 Olympics and the controversies with Helen Stephens and Stella Walsh. I don't think it will end anytime soon.

Comment

That was a response to the troll who's been bashing the U.S. performances when they barely missed out on gold. And if I'm not mistaken, only Ottey has broken 22.00 at Shelly's age.
                            Thank you, glad someone got it...

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Their marks should be counted*, but for ranking and records purposes the marks should be compared against men. Mboma's 48.54 as an 18 year old currently matches #52 for U20 African males.

*as long as they're not in a hurdles or throwing event where they're using women's implements.
                              They are natural females. Any records should count. It is wrong to discriminate against athletes because they don't naturally comply with a Eurocentric view of what a woman's hormone levels should be. You going to ban the next Usain Bolt because he was naturally blessed with longer legs and musculature that enables him to move them in a manner that is unfair to other sprinters?

Comment

• Originally posted by That70sGuy View Post

Call me a heretic, but IMHO singling out naturally occurring T levels for sanction is just plain wrong. In one way or another, every world class athlete is a "freak of nature", with physical characteristics far outside the norm which define their advantage over the rest of us average types. Shaunae is blessed with her over 6'2"ft height, SAFP with her powerful legs, ET with a physique perfectly proportioned for sprinting, etc, etc. Mbomba does not appear to be packing as much muscle as many of her competitors, she isn't particularly tall, and I'm not seeing how she has any more of an "unfair" advantage than any of her rivals in this field. Can anyone credibly claim she is not a woman? I think not.
                                Exactly

Comment

Working...
                                X