Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the end of 2019, if someone had said the Olympics would be won in 21.5, most would assume SMU would be the one. And who would have thought that neither SMU nor DAS would be on the podium.

So many people doubted Thompson coming into 2021. Some said she'd never get another gold medal. Kudos to her for proving the doubters wrong. 2nd fastest all tike in both the 100 and 200, the fastest woman alive.

If I were her I would take a good long rest now and skip the DL, money or nah. She needs to get ready for her first World Champs gold!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
      And the end of 2019, if someone had said the Olympics would be won in 21.5, most would assume SMU would be the one. And who would have thought that neither SMU nor DAS would be on the podium.

So many people doubted Thompson coming into 2021. Some said she'd never get another gold medal. Kudos to her for proving the doubters wrong. 2nd fastest all tike in both the 100 and 200, the fastest woman alive.

If I were her I would take a good long rest now and skip the DL, money or nah. She needs to get ready for her first World Champs gold!
      Agreed, but only after the 4x1.

Comment

• Originally posted by J2thaD View Post

They are natural females. Any records should count. It is wrong to discriminate against athletes because they don't naturally comply with a Eurocentric view of what a woman's hormone levels should be. You going to ban the next Usain Bolt because he was naturally blessed with longer legs and musculature that enables him to move them in a manner that is unfair to other sprinters?
        What is your evidence that the hormone levels concerned are "Eurocentric"? Do women from other continents on average have higher T-levels then? If so, then you may have a point but where is the evidence?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
          And the end of 2019, if someone had said the Olympics would be won in 21.5, most would assume SMU would be the one. And who would have thought that neither SMU nor DAS would be on the podium.

You're basing this on her recurring injury history?

Comment

• Originally posted by J2thaD View Post

They are natural females. Any records should count. It is wrong to discriminate against athletes because they don't naturally comply with a Eurocentric view of what a woman's hormone levels should be. You going to ban the next Usain Bolt because he was naturally blessed with longer legs and musculature that enables him to move them in a manner that is unfair to other sprinters?
            Some of us are already right back to that false "black and white" dichotomy when it comes to PAIS athletes. P is for Partial folks, and nobody, but no one, has conclusively established how to quantify the partial part. We just aren't yet able to say whose marks should be with males or females. Humans desire simplicity, even when it's not available. Like taking the Bible literally. You cannot even literally compare Numbers 23:19 in the KJV to the NIV. One sentence. Completely different meaning, just as an example of what can rock a boat when it ain't necessarily so.

Comment

• I’m expecting some more sick times at Hayward Field next year at worlds. I’m expecting the USA to dominate since it’s their home turf. I’m praying Elaine and SCR hold their forms for next year. As we all know track and field plays out differently ever year though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                Gabby Thomas doubters?
                So the Eugene clocks were tuned about .02 too fast

Comment

• Does WA have a good faith effort rule? SMU would have been better off false starting like Korir did. Save energy and not run risk.

Comment

• Let's give Gabby credit. I don't think her Eugene time was a fluke. She was just in the zone at trials. ETH can get close to the WR, but she needs to work on her speed endurance. She hates to run the 400m. If she can get her 400M PB down to 51.xx, I think she can get the WR. She has the speed, she just needs to improve the endurance. She definitely can run 21.4+ right now.

The 100M WR is closer to her reach right now. A quick back of the envelope calculation shows that she could have broken the 100M record here if she had 1.4 tailwind. Let's start with the 10.61. After adjusting the wind, it becomes 10.57. Add maximum effort with a lean at the tape and you are probably down to 10.55. A 1.4 wind is worth .07. Subtract .07 from 10.55 and you arrive at 10.48. Of course, she needs the perfect atmospheric conditions. She and her coach should focus on the WR for 2022. Eugene is the perfect place to break the 100m WR.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

Well said.

Good for Gabby Thomas. Guess the 21.6 was no Oregon fluke.
                      It's questionable until it's duplicated. Thomas proved she is top level world class though, and not someone like the other two who's PBs should have an asterisk next to them.

Comment

• Re: Gabby Thomas, she did well, much better than Prandini, but there was at least one person here who thought she was going to run faster than her 21.6. That wasn't going to happen and she didn't really get anywhere near 21.6 either. However, a bronze in this STACKED field is impressive, kudos to her. Is she going to be on the w4x1? Would love to see her there.

Comment

• By the way, Shericka would have gotten the silver and would have given ETH a run for her money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Track78 View Post
                            Re: Gabby Thomas, she did well, much better than Prandini, but there was at least one person here who thought she was going to run faster than her 21.6. That wasn't going to happen and she didn't really get anywhere near 21.6 either. However, a bronze in this STACKED field is impressive, kudos to her. Is she going to be on the w4x1? Would love to see her there.
                            There were many people here who thought ETH was going to go much faster than 21.53, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                              Fraser-Pryce way off her winning time from Jamaican nationals. Has to be counted as a miserable failure.
                              Hold her to the same standard as the U.S. sprinters. If you can't get near your PB outside of the confines of your home territory, it probably was a bit off. She won't come close to a 10.63 on the circuit, and probably won't come close to 21.7 either.

Comment

• Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post
                                By the way, Shericka would have gotten the silver and would have given ETH a run for her money.
                                Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, but she wasn't there.

And thats coming from someone who picked her to win gold entering the meet.

Comment

Working...
                                X