Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post
    The reason I did not see a world record coming was because it appeared that ETH ran very hard for at least the first 150 or 160 then shut down slightly in the semi. That's why I said at most 21.46.

The other and bigger piece is that Flojo ran a 48.08 anchor, chasing Bryzgina, a 48.27 runner, who was running like her life depended on it - well who was right behind her.? ETH is not a 48.08 runner. Not yet.

Why does ETH avoid her competitors after a race? I find that strange. Is she shy? Even Marlies Gohr and her East German compatriot took Evelyn's hands and ran a victory lap with her after she'd broken the world record in Zurich. Ashford said even she didn't think she'd have done that, the way she felt about them. And we know why she felt what she did.
    Different times, different dynamics. Who knows. She can celebrate how she feels. The facial expression of SFP as ETH crossed the finish line in the 100 looked a bit disgusted to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post
      Let's give Gabby credit. I don't think her Eugene time was a fluke. She was just in the zone at trials. ETH can get close to the WR, but she needs to work on her speed endurance. She hates to run the 400m. If she can get her 400M PB down to 51.xx, I think she can get the WR. She has the speed, she just needs to improve the endurance. She definitely can run 21.4+ right now.

The 100M WR is closer to her reach right now. A quick back of the envelope calculation shows that she could have broken the 100M record here if she had 1.4 tailwind. Let's start with the 10.61. After adjusting the wind, it becomes 10.57. Add maximum effort with a lean at the tape and you are probably down to 10.55. A 1.4 wind is worth .07. Subtract .07 from 10.55 and you arrive at 10.48. Of course, she needs the perfect atmospheric conditions. She and her coach should focus on the WR for 2022. Eugene is the perfect place to break the 100m WR.
      Well said. I also don't think ETH can realistically break the w200 record until she gets some 400 training under her belt. Her speed endurance is already quite good for someone who doesn't run any 400s, but dabbling in the one lap will put her over the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

What is your evidence that the hormone levels concerned are "Eurocentric"? Do women from other continents on average have higher T-levels then? If so, then you may have a point but where is the evidence?
        Yeah, this whole "eurocentric" - which we know what that's code for - is getting really tired and played out. Use a particular argument or accusation enough and it loses its power. Being called a racist or a white supremacist these days is just white noise when you can be called such just for saying you like Chinese food or some other such silly nonsense.

You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by J2thaD View Post

Hold her to the same standard as the U.S. sprinters. If you can't get near your PB outside of the confines of your home territory, it probably was a bit off. She won't come close to a 10.63 on the circuit, and probably won't come close to 21.7 either.
          Yes I agree. She underperformed based on her standards. Yes she is 34 but she looked better than ever and didn’t run the times in both the 100m and 200m as I expected. In sprinting (100m and 200m)I thought anything over .1 was considered a big gap. I don’t know how ppl can say Gabby and SAFP were not way off their trials time.

Comment

It's questionable until it's duplicated. Thomas proved she is top level world class though, and not someone like the other two who's PBs should have an asterisk next to them.
            By that logic Bolt's 9.58 and 19.19 are questionable, since they weren't duplicated.
            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

There were many people here who thought ETH was going to go much faster than 21.53, too.
              A little more logical as those guesses came after an OR 100m run. But prior to seeing her run in Tokyo, nobody expected or guessed that. With Gabby they were before she even stepped on the track.

Comment

• Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post
                By the way, Shericka would have gotten the silver and would have given ETH a run for her money.
                I can get behind silver for Shericka, sub 21.8 definitely possible given her 100m time here and 400m background. But I don't think she was getting anywhere near 21.5.

Comment

• Originally posted by Track78 View Post

Well said. I also don't think ETH can realistically break the w200 record until she gets some 400 training under her belt. Her speed endurance is already quite good for someone who doesn't run any 400s, but dabbling in the one lap will put her over the top.
                  I agree. I believe her best is 54.xx over 400M. That is pathetic.. Ottey was able to run 51.xx.

Comment

• ET needs some world championships belt now to put her there. What she did at the Olympics was very special. No other woman has done a double double and with the quick Turnaround in 2024 has a chance at 32 to do the the triple double which is insane in and of itself. The road ahead of Tokyo will be even harder though with these rising young stars. If she gets another gold in the 100m or 200m at Paris along with couple of golds in the 100m or 200m at worlds then there is no way she wouldn’t consider to be greater than over other women sprinters. I’m getting ahead of myself though

Comment

• Great race!

But . . . I now fear that the sport is about to be dragged through the mud again as people line up for the whole Semenya battle-royale again. Mboma is a bright light in T&F and the PTB are going to try and snuff it out. And the sport will suffer for it.

I still contend that she has an unfair advantage, but I do NOT relish the coming fight to get her restricted further.

Comment

• Elaine Thompson 21.53. Wow!

Excellent double double.

The sprint double in 2016.

The sprint double this Olympics.

History maker!
                        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Different times, different dynamics. Who knows. She can celebrate how she feels. The facial expression of SFP as ETH crossed the finish line in the 100 looked a bit disgusted to me.
                          Of course she can celebrate how she feels. There's no law. It's also beautiful to see people put their differences aside when it has the power to set the biggest example, even if it is at some expense to their own glory. Maybe that's harder than all the training and getting through injuries.

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/olympics-...102557413.html
                          Last edited by 1.609; 08-03-2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chukuyute View Post
                            ET needs some world championships belt now to put her there. What she did at the Olympics was very special. No other woman has done a double double and with the quick Turnaround in 2024 has a chance at 32 to do the the triple double which is insane in and of itself. The road ahead of Tokyo will be even harder though with these rising young stars. If she gets another gold in the 100m or 200m at Paris along with couple of golds in the 100m or 200m at worlds then there is no way she wouldn’t consider to be greater than over other women sprinters. I’m getting ahead of myself though
                            The good news for ETH is that she is a late bloomer and she did not burn herself out in high school. She will peak a little later than normal. I believe she has just entered her peak years. Barring injury, she will be deadly next year. It should be fun with her and SCR. I hope SCR can keep it together for a few years. I get the feeling that SCR will fall by the wayside if she is not given the proper guidance.

Comment

• Worried for Gabby when I saw the lane she had, but she came through.

Comment

So the Eugene clocks were tuned about .02 too fast
                                Thomas ran 21.63 in Eugene. Still amazing!

Comment

Working...
                                X