Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For anyone bad-mouthing USA slippage from Trials to Games, just remember that the Trials competition can be just as formidable and way more nerve-wracking. It's even more do-or-die than the Games themselves, not that a Oly medal isn't a career-maker.

    Comment


    • And it's also the case that the Trials, especially at Eugene, have a habit of producing those catch-lightning-in-a-bottle moments when everything is just perfect at that one moment - marks that are genuine, and beyond our realistic expectations, but so good that we never see them again.
      You know, kinda like 45.94

      Comment


      • Originally posted by J2thaD View Post
        They are natural females. Any records should count.
        Biologically, what makes them female if they have testes which are churning out testosterone at a level above which any ovaries have produced, and their cells have the ability to use the testosterone?

        You going to ban the next Usain Bolt because he was naturally blessed with longer legs and musculature that enables him to move them in a manner that is unfair to other sprinters?
        If they divided the sport based on leg length and/or musculature, the next Bolt should be in the division appropriate for his leg length and musculature. But they don't divide the sport that way, so that line of argument is irrelevant.

        It is never about banning anybody. It's only about finding the appropriate division within a sport for each athlete's physiology. Everybody is excluded from some divisions, whether it's because of age, sex, weight, height, disability or lack thereof. When you don't fit into a given division, you find another that fits you. If you're 30 with 2 functioning legs, you can't compete in under-20, over-35, or leg amputee events, but there are other divisions where you can compete, even though it might mean you can't hang with the elites in the division that fits you.
        Last edited by 18.99s; 08-03-2021, 05:35 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Great race!

          But . . . I now fear that the sport is about to be dragged through the mud again as people line up for the whole Semenya battle-royale again. Mboma is a bright light in T&F and the PTB are going to try and snuff it out. And the sport will suffer for it.

          I still contend that she has an unfair advantage, but I do NOT relish the coming fight to get her restricted further.
          Mboma should be forced to lower her testosterone. It's not fair to the other ladies.

          Comment


          • Please let’s not go there right now! Let’s let these games play out. Congrats to all the women . Congrats to Gaby Thomas , classy, hard worker! Doesn’t make excuses. True inspiration.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Track78 View Post
              Re: Gabby Thomas, she did well, much better than Prandini, but there was at least one person here who thought she was going to run faster than her 21.6. That wasn't going to happen and she didn't really get anywhere near 21.6 either. However, a bronze in this STACKED field is impressive, kudos to her. Is she going to be on the w4x1? Would love to see her there.
              She should definitely be given the 3rd leg. Will storm the turn!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post
                By the way, Shericka would have gotten the silver and would have given ETH a run for her money.
                She wasn't there. Maybe but we'll never know. Fools Gold.

                Comment


                • 21.53. Holy crap.

                  Track78 asked the question in another thread about the top sprinter in Olympic history. That has to be ETH now. No female track and field has won 4 individual golds to me knowledge. Wow.

                  I underestimated Mboma in that first round because it looked like she didn't know what she was doing, but she's so dangerous for that exact reason. It felt like she was only just figuring out how to run the 200m during the rounds and finally got it somewhat right in that final. She could be a serious WR contender by as early as next year.

                  Congrats to Thomas for stepping up and winning bronze in such a stacked field. It hasn't been a great showing for the US sprinters so far but she stepped up every round and proved herself as a sub-22 performer on the big stage.

                  I have to shout out SAFP though. Not as fast as at trials, but her second fastest time ever, and her fastest time at a major championship. I remember being super impressed when VCB ran 21.97 for 3rd in 2015 aged 33, and rightfully so, so to see SAFP run 21.94 aged 34 really is outstanding. Worst position to finish in, especially knowing that her time has never finished lower than 2nd before, but it just further consolidates her position as, in my view, female sprinting GOAT.

                  I thought maybe SMU just mailed it in to focus on the 400m, but looking back I think she saw the deficit she was in coming off the bend and made the choice to call it day. Maybe she felt that 400m heat run in her legs too, it was pretty quick.

                  Gutted for Ta Lou, especially knowing how devastated she was after the 100m, although in the weirdest way I'm almost glad it wasn't another 4th place finish for her this time.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Great race!

                    But . . . I now fear that the sport is about to be dragged through the mud again as people line up for the whole Semenya battle-royale again. Mboma is a bright light in T&F and the PTB are going to try and snuff it out. And the sport will suffer for it.

                    I still contend that she has an unfair advantage, but I do NOT relish the coming fight to get her restricted further.
                    Once those two women improve their starts and curve running it will be done. My future bets on 2022 WC and WR will be on them and no one else.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

                      Gabby was a lot closer to her top form than anyone here expected. And this is only the 4th time she broke 22.00 (which I bet you didn't expect at all), and she did it all in less than 2 months of a single year.
                      And a lot closer than her two teammates in this event. Not much that’s negative I can write here about her and she should definitely be on the relay (3rd or anchor)

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                        Worried for Gabby when I saw the lane she had, but she came through.
                        Same here. What if she had been given lane 9 and SMU lane 3?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Paced View Post
                          21.53. Holy crap.

                          Track78 asked the question in another thread about the top sprinter in Olympic history. That has to be ETH now. No female track and field has won 4 individual golds to me knowledge. Wow.

                          I underestimated Mboma in that first round because it looked like she didn't know what she was doing, but she's so dangerous for that exact reason. It felt like she was only just figuring out how to run the 200m during the rounds and finally got it somewhat right in that final. She could be a serious WR contender by as early as next year.

                          Congrats to Thomas for stepping up and winning bronze in such a stacked field. It hasn't been a great showing for the US sprinters so far but she stepped up every round and proved herself as a sub-22 performer on the big stage.

                          I have to shout out SAFP though. Not as fast as at trials, but her second fastest time ever, and her fastest time at a major championship. I remember being super impressed when VCB ran 21.97 for 3rd in 2015 aged 33, and rightfully so, so to see SAFP run 21.94 aged 34 really is outstanding. Worst position to finish in, especially knowing that her time has never finished lower than 2nd before, but it just further consolidates her position as, in my view, female sprinting GOAT.

                          I thought maybe SMU just mailed it in to focus on the 400m, but looking back I think she saw the deficit she was in coming off the bend and made the choice to call it day. Maybe she felt that 400m heat run in her legs too, it was pretty quick.

                          Gutted for Ta Lou, especially knowing how devastated she was after the 100m, although in the weirdest way I'm almost glad it wasn't another 4th place finish for her this time.
                          Completely agree. Four 4ths? That would just be cruel.

                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post

                            I agree. I believe her best is 54.xx over 400M. That is pathetic.. Ottey was able to run 51.xx.
                            It was 51.12, at the NCAA Champs (1983) where Flo beat her in 50.94.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by booond View Post

                              Once those two women improve their starts and curve running it will be done. My future bets on 2022 WC and WR will be on them and no one else.
                              Yep. If allowed there are 5 athletes currently that between them can simply wipe out everything from 200-800, and possibly the 1500 as well. That's the motor they have. Luckily the 400-1500 is off the table else the rest of the world would have to seek medals in other disciplines.
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Paced View Post
                                21.53. Holy crap.

                                Track78 asked the question in another thread about the top sprinter in Olympic history. That has to be ETH now. No female track and field has won 4 individual golds to me knowledge. Wow.
                                Szewińska has 5 Olympic sprint medals (2G, 1S, 2B) across 3 different sprint events.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X