Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by booond View Post

    Once those two women improve their starts and curve running it will be done. My future bets on 2022 WC and WR will be on them and no one else.
    Don't forget Seyni, who jumped back into the scene on short notice after taking time off, thinking that 2019 times didn't count towards qualifying for Tokyo. A whole year of 200m training could see Seyni up there with the Namibians challenging the 21-second barrier.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ATK View Post

      Szewińska has 5 Olympic sprint medals (2G, 1S, 2B) across 3 different sprint events.
      Very impressive of course, but 4 golds out of 4 is unrivalled imo.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paced View Post

        Very impressive of course, but 4 golds out of 4 is unrivalled imo.
        She also broke the world record in her gold medal races in 1968 and 1976. But everyone has preference

        Comment


        • Serious question. All you all saying that MBOMA should be banned, would you still feel the same way of she was representing your country, USA, Jamaica, etc.?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ATK View Post

            She also broke the world record in her gold medal races in 1968 and 1976. But everyone has preference
            ETH just ran the second fastest time ever in both events... Either way gold medal haul is surely more significant than times/world records.

            Comment


            • What irritates me about the Mboma talk is the lack of sensitivity around the subject. One can be reasonable and logical without being snide.

              Anyway looking forward to WC 2022 already (hopefully with the addition of DAS and maybe Richardson?). The 2022 diamond league circuit in the women's sprints look tasty.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Zelex View Post
                What irritates me about the Mboma talk is the lack of sensitivity around the subject. One can be reasonable and logical without being snide.

                Anyway looking forward to WC 2022 already (hopefully with the addition of DAS and maybe Richardson?). The 2022 diamond league circuit in the women's sprints look tasty.
                They are snide because that's how they feel towards Mboma, and other women like Mboma. They do not recognise her humanity. In fact, they don't care.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by chukuyute View Post
                  Serious question. All you all saying that MBOMA should be banned, would you still feel the same way of she was representing your country, USA, Jamaica, etc.?
                  Of course. Whatever the unfair advantage is, I don't want to see it representing my country.

                  Watched again this morning with my daughter. It's a clear case of a truly unfortunate situation, but I just can't see how you tell all the women in the 200-1500 (and beyond, it's obvious this has or will touch every distance) that they might as well pick a different sport. Feel for Mboma, really do, but I also feel for the untold legion of young ladies who have no chance against her and those like her. 🤷‍♂️
                  You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by chukuyute View Post
                    Serious question. All you all saying that MBOMA should be banned, would you still feel the same way of she was representing your country, USA, Jamaica, etc.?
                    Absolutely. Very different times, of course, but in retrospect, Stanisława Walasiewicz should not have been allowed to compete in women's events.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                    Comment


                    • Well done to ETH on securing the double double. I've said for a while now that she's too talented to not have more than the two individual gold medals she had pre-Tokyo and to now double that total to four against the insane level of competition she faced in both events is phenomenal. I've wanted her Achilles to let her be great for a while now and I just hope she can manage it moving forward because I'd love for her to dominate both events through 2025. Of course, that's a tough ask, but I'm asking it anyway.

                      Fully expected to see SAFP medal. Maybe it's the timing of the rounds, but weird that she's a good bit off her SBs in both events in major championships. Still, she's the 100m GOAT and still the perennial championship performer in my eyes.

                      Full credit Mboma and Thomas on their silver and bronze, respectively. I know the Mboma case is not without controversy, but she's an innocent party in all of this and I commend her for doing so well after a late switch in events. Thomas looked ragged in every round, but she ragged her way to bronze in a tough field so kudos to her.

                      As for Miller-Uibo, I hope that 200 run was her opting to fight the 200 fight another year and that she'll be able to go full throttle in the 400. Would be poetic to have the two Rio flat sprint queens each defend their respective titles here in Tokyo.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Paced View Post

                        ETH just ran the second fastest time ever in both events... Either way gold medal haul is surely more significant than times/world records.
                        The question devolves into whether we are considering the 100/200 (only) or also including the 400. If the former, ETH looks like the choice. If it involves all three events, male or female, no question - Szewinska, greatest all time. Her 1974 season, ranked first in all three events - including taking down Stecher (defending Only champ) in the 100/200 - will never be matched I believe.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by catson52 View Post

                          The question devolves into whether we are considering the 100/200 (only) or also including the 400. If the former, ETH looks like the choice. If it involves all three events, male or female, no question - Szewinska, greatest all time. Her 1974 season, ranked first in all three events - including taking down Stecher (defending Only champ) in the 100/200 - will never be matched I believe.
                          Track78's question was about the greatest female Olympic sprinter only.

                          ETH wouldn't make my top 5 overall, but nobody has a better Olympic record than she does. 4 golds out of 4, all in incredible times against some of the all time greats.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by moreover View Post
                            Counterfactuals with Mboma, if (1) Semenya had never run the 400 so it was not regulated OR (2) Mboma had never entered a regulated event (trained only for 100/200) I don't think we would ever have known Mboma was regulated DSD (which we do know what physical characteristics that includes). In either case, I think Mboma would be breaking a WR in this Olympics, the 200 or the 400. Mboma may still be growing.
                            49.62 in Ostrava, Sept. 8, 2018.

                            Caster SEMENYA | Profile | World Athletics

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by catson52 View Post

                              The question devolves into whether we are considering the 100/200 (only) or also including the 400. If the former, ETH looks like the choice. If it involves all three events, male or female, no question - Szewinska, greatest all time. Her 1974 season, ranked first in all three events - including taking down Stecher (defending Only champ) in the 100/200 - will never be matched I believe.
                              Her story is utterly amazing. Her Montreal 400 would be a likely medal now, and possibly be worth Gold. Amazing.
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Paced View Post

                                Track78's question was about the greatest female Olympic sprinter only.

                                ETH wouldn't make my top 5 overall, but nobody has a better Olympic record than she does. 4 golds out of 4, all in incredible times against some of the all time greats.
                                So, who are your top 5?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X