Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any splits and speeds on this final beyond reaction times?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      For anyone bad-mouthing USA slippage from Trials to Games, just remember that the Trials competition can be just as formidable and way more nerve-wracking. It's even more do-or-die than the Games themselves, not that a Oly medal isn't a career-maker.
      This. Qualifying Amis basically run the OGs twice. Same pressure, same schedule, same extremely high level of competition (in most events, especially sprints). No one "trains through" the Trials, it's an all-out peak or you won't make the plane. Then do it again a few weeks later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steele View Post

This. Qualifying Amis basically run the OGs twice. Same pressure, same schedule, same extremely high level of competition (in most events, especially sprints). No one "trains through" the Trials, it's an all-out peak or you won't make the plane. Then do it again a few weeks later.
        And acting like running 21.8 from lane 3 is bad because you ran 21.6 under easier circumstances a few weeks back is silly and nothing but anti-American bias from a few of the posters here on the board who just troll

Comment

• Originally posted by upchuckserious View Post
          The double double is in itself enough to give ETH a strong argument for being the GOAT female sprinter imo. I might be inclined to put Shelly ahead of her her but, yeah, this is a significant accomplishment and probably puts her above people like VCB, Felix, Ottey who have all those medals.
          I think that when deciding on the GOAT merits, relays should be disregarded as GOAT is all about the individual's performance, not the team.

Comment

• Question to bambam1729, Gabby Thomas’s bronze medalist from Harvard… when was last track and field medal won by a Harvard graduate? I read it was 1896 by all men. Is she first Harvard female track and field medalist ever??

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

I just don't get this incessant determination to run down, to denigrate Thomas, because she was 0.26 slower than her Eugene time.

I guess Mondo should be criticised for being 16cm less than his 6.18.

Or Juvaugn Harrison, or Kendra Harrison etc etc.
              I do get it and it's ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
                Question to bambam1729, Gabby Thomas’s bronze medalist from Harvard… when was last track and field medal won by a Harvard graduate? I read it was 1896 by all men. Is she first Harvard female track and field medalist ever??
                1924 - Ed Gourdin mLJ silver

https://gocrimson.com/sports/2020/5/...y.aspx?id=3660

Comment

• I'm really curious about the back story behind Elaine's relationship with her other teammates though. They've all been so muted despite her achievement. No Instagram story posts or Twitter messages. Just silence.

Comment

• Careful! A bunch of folks here will get super upset for some reason and consider that gossiping!

Anyway, I tried to do some crude timings for the last 100m of this race and here's what I got:

ETH - 10.6
                    Mboma - 10.5
                    ​​​​Gabby- 10.8
                    SAFP - 11.0

Comment

• Originally posted by moreover View Post
                      Are there any splits and speeds on this final beyond reaction times?
                      I watched the 200 final online and right after the finish they went straight to the men's pole vault, so they didn't show their usual graphic of what the top speed in kilometers was for each lane in the 200. Did they show that graphic on TV?

I'm curious to know exactly what was Mboma's top speed in the 200 vs what Thompson-Herah's top speed in the 200 was.

Comment

• Originally posted by catson52 View Post

No problem with what you have to say. What is the definition of sprints? Isn't the 400 described as the longest sprint - anaerobic zone? And bringing in males into a 100/200/400 ranking was only to emphasize how unusual it is for someone to excel in all three. The recent best on the male side would seem to be M Johnson and T Smith. What was MJ's best 100? And TS was held back by generally atrocious starts in the 100 - top speed few could compare with him. (Discussed in some detail on another thread).
                        Yeah I'm including all outdoor sprints - 100m to 400m - but only judging by what they accomplished at the Olympic Games as per Track78's question. Versatility across all three sprints is impressive, but not as significant as gold medal haul in my eyes, hence why I'd rank ETH above Szewińska.

Comment

The double double is in itself enough to give ETH a strong argument for being the GOAT female sprinter imo. I might be inclined to put Shelly ahead of her her but, yeah, this is a significant accomplishment and probably puts her above people like VCB, Felix, Ottey who have all those medals.
                          For me, you can't just look at something as simple as a double double, no matter how impressive it is. GOAT status always has to be based on an entire career, not just the highlights package, so failures need to be considered.

On the men's side, you have Oerter and Lewis with 4 OG golds but nobody really argues Oerter was the DT GOAT because the rest of career was [edit to add: NOT] stellar in the way that Lewis, a definite LJ GOAT was, year after year, in any competition you want to name.
                          Last edited by El Toro; 08-04-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I'm really curious about the back story behind Elaine's relationship with her other teammates though. They've all been so muted despite her achievement. No Instagram story posts or Twitter messages. Just silence.
                            to be fair, Omar McLeod is a major fan girl of Elaines, he is basically claiming Elaines victories as his own lol.

Her female and Jamaica based team mates are a different story, but maybe Elaine just has a very self focused approach and is not interested in being friends with anyone.

maria Sharapova was the same in tennis - didn’t speak to anyone and was intentionally cold.

serena William used to be the same until she wanted to be a brand/influencer and realised that being publically friendly to certain competitors would make her more marketable and money in the long run

Comment

I'm really curious about the back story behind Elaine's relationship with her other teammates though. They've all been so muted despite her achievement. No Instagram story posts or Twitter messages. Just silence.
                              I've seen SAFP congratulations both women on twitter after the 100m final. She also gave ETH a shout out in the TVJ interview after the 200m final (you can see it on her Facebook page, worth checking out as it's a very good, candid interview). I'm not sure what ETH or Jackson have said though, I can't find anything at first glance.

SAFP and Jackson are very much friends, but I get the vibes that they're just civil with ETH nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paced View Post

I've seen SAFP congratulations both women on twitter after the 100m final. She also gave ETH a shout out in the TVJ interview after the 200m final (you can see it on her Facebook page, worth checking out as it's a very good, candid interview). I'm not sure what ETH or Jackson have said though, I can't find anything at first glance.

SAFP and Jackson are very much friends, but I get the vibes that they're just civil with ETH nowadays.
                                Its very known that Elaine doesn't speak with SAFP & SJ. I don't think they need to speak. Elaine covets the spot they all want. I think there was a falling out at the MVP camp.
                                Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Working...
                                X