Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ 2021 wOG 200: Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) 21.53 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I too was really pleased to see the joy in Thomas when she won her bronze having run so fast in Eugene (note, she saw a similar outcome Felix did in 2012 when she ran 21.69 in the Trials and then 21.88 in London to win - I know the track has changed in Eugene but can't wait for ETH to race a 200m there) to qualify for Tokyo.

This is where coaches and psychologists earn their money in rebuilding each year and setting new goals and processing and reflecting on the year past. Openness and vulnerability encouraged/expected these days, which some athletes have also shared on social media.

Will be interesting to see what impact at all the next four years of global majors has on athletes and if performances move one way or another or if retirements are delayed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
      Then you have athletes like Michael Norman who got to Tokyo but in some way underperformed. How much does the doubt creep in, or do they go into the winter aggressively?
      He might be a candidate for a 'Kerley' and explore the shorter races.

Comment

• As long as we're celebrating Gabby, who I think is the natural successor to Allyson as America's sprint queen, here's another nice piece on her.
        https://www.womensrunning.com/cultur...homas-profile/

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedster View Post
          I too was really pleased to see the joy in Thomas when she won her bronze having run so fast in Eugene (note, she saw a similar outcome Felix did in 2012 when she ran 21.69 in the Trials and then 21.88 in London to win - I know the track has changed in Eugene but can't wait for ETH to race a 200m there) to qualify for Tokyo.

This is where coaches and psychologists earn their money in rebuilding each year and setting new goals and processing and reflecting on the year past. Openness and vulnerability encouraged/expected these days, which some athletes have also shared on social media.

Will be interesting to see what impact at all the next four years of global majors has on athletes and if performances move one way or another or if retirements are delayed.
          One can imagine that ETH went through something similar since 2016. She hasn't registered a global medal since then and has had that niggling injury. Must have took enormous strength.
          Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

• Thompson is an interesting one, but v different I feel. In 2017 she was obviously in great form, but was hampered by her injury. Come the London 100m final and she still started favourite after an easy semi, but then she had that bizarre wobble as she came out of her drive phase and that was that.

2019 was all about managing the injury, but the reality is at that level, you just cannot be 80% and expect to challenge for gold. Twas the same with Schippers that season.

What I'm interested in, is how she managed to overcome her injury in the 19/20 season. Was it simply a rest from racing in 2020? Surely it can't be that simple? Or maybe it was!

Comment

• ETH had 9 months off racing from Doha to her season opener in 2020. Perhaps that was enough to settle things and allow a decent block of training.

You don't run 21.5 without doing a lot of running so the Achilles obviously cooperated this year to allow that.

While she ran well and made the team for Tokyo, the ETH in Kingston for Trials looked like an athlete perhaps in heavier training compared to what we saw at the Games. Did they gamble on her making top three despite it? Lots of conjecture if she was going to race and then MVP coming out and saying how good shape she was in and then a couple of losses in her trials finals.

Comment

• Didn't both Tori and Marie Josee say they saw Elaine throwing up before the 100m final?

Comment

• Originally posted by reggaeirie1234 View Post
                  Didn't both Tori and Marie Josee say they saw Elaine throwing up before the 100m final?
                  https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor...se-loss_107047

“Did you have stomach ache in that race?” Thompson was asked in the mix zone.
                  “No, I did not. I actually threw up before I [went] out there. So I wouldn't say that affected the race,” said Thompson, who has a seasonal best of 10.71.
                  “Has it ever happen before at a major championship. “Yes,” she replied. “I have been working hard going through the rounds. I wouldn't say the stomach affected me.”
                  Thompson was asked how close before the race she vomited. “A few minutes before going to the call room. We are all human beings. We do it in training.”

Comment

• The Glen Hall method of athletic preparation.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                      The Glen Hall method of athletic preparation.
                      and Bill Russell

Comment

Working...
                      X