Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there is no rule on the amount of tension on the tape when measuring field event marks...seems that would be a larger margin of error than whether it stretches or contracts by the weather....

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
      Under normal conditions a steel tape is much more likely to be accurate than a fiberglass tape.
      Indeed....lots of information available on the high accuracy of steel tapes....I can't find anything similar to fibreglass...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Indeed....lots of information available on the high accuracy of steel tapes....I can't find anything similar to fibreglass...
        Good info you posted in #26, appreciate it.

Comment

Good info you posted in #26, appreciate it.
          You are welcome..

Interesting discussion....

Comment

1968 was when fiberglass tapes appeared, I think.
            Siri says fiberglass itself was invented in 1932-33....

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Siri says fiberglass itself was invented in 1932-33....
              I am pretty sure some British sportscar makers had started using it before '68.

Comment

The EU has standards of accuracy required meet certain tape classes. The classes are the same for steel and fibreglass, so it shouldn't matter which one you use under "standard conditions", you'll get accuracy of around +/- 10mm over 100m. [edit: that accuracy is only for the highest Class I]

Here's link to a .pdf by Lufkin about the EU standards

http://www.pewa.de/DATENBLATT/DBL_CT...BL_DEUTSCH.pdf

The full EU standards document might have some information on how much temperature will affect steel vs fibreglass.

Comment

Hey, thank you so much for the explanation !

Comment

The technology exists to instantly mark landing spots and measure from that point to a known control point at a sub-centimeter accuracy level within a second. Officials would just need to remove implements and rake sand pits. It's just a matter of getting rid of the tape rule and committing the money to build the equipment for the track and field market.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
                      The technology exists to instantly mark landing spots and measure from that point to a known control point at a sub-centimeter accuracy level within a second. Officials would just need to remove implements and rake sand pits. It's just a matter of getting rid of the tape rule and committing the money to build the equipment for the track and field market.
                      Exactly....the technology is there right now.....and far more accurate...

Comment

Working...
                      X