Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Crouser at pre among other places

This gets lost on the Pre thread.

Crouser gets the third longest throw ever. He logs three of the five best ancillary marks ever per all-time athletics. This was just a pretty good meet for him this year. I’ve been blown away by him this year. Within his meets, there has been an amazing level of consistency.

He has to be the AOY and I’d argue that breaking a thirty year old world record is even better than the splendid 400h mark.

I don't know how you choose between Crouser and Warholm... though the latter did break the WR "at the Games." They both dominate the all-time lists now and have beaten extremely good competition (even if, say, 2021 Kovacs/Walsh aren't quite 2021 Benjamin).

Comment

Crouser, especially after this performance at Pre, gets AOY clear right now.

With that said, IMO, I dont think Crouser's WR is better than even Rai Benjamin's 46.17, let alone Warholm's 45.94
      Last edited by ATK; 08-22-2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I'd been thinking about those calling him the GOAT. Was he superior to Parry O'Brien? O'Brien was a two time Olympic Champion. He stayed around for a silver and a fourth place in subsequesnt games. His technique revolutionized the event. He had multiple world records, and dominated the annual lists for years. His initial long time dominance was probably abetted by a period of time while his competitors were still learnig the event. What is so astounding about Crouser is that his worthy competitors haven't had to adjust to and learn a technique. Its been available to all. So yes, the case for Crouser being the GOAT is quite strong.

Comment

RC should be AOY. RB was reasonably close to KW. Who's been close to RC?

But 45.9 has to be POY, even tho RC's 76-footer would be POY most any other year.

Comment

Crouser should have one competition where he throws in Justin cowboy boots and a Resistol hat. He is so "on" right now, I think he could probably go 21m+ in that getup, and pick up some good sponsor $ along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
              I'd been thinking about those calling him the GOAT. Was he superior to Parry O'Brien? O'Brien was a two time Olympic Champion. He stayed around for a silver and a fourth place in subsequesnt games. His technique revolutionized the event. He had multiple world records, and dominated the annual lists for years. His initial long time dominance was probably abetted by a period of time while his competitors were still learnig the event. What is so astounding about Crouser is that his worthy competitors haven't had to adjust to and learn a technique. Its been available to all. So yes, the case for Crouser being the GOAT is quite strong.
              I don’t have the data set to try to figure out GOAT. I suspect Crouser will need several more world records to dislodge O’Brien.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                O’Brien.
                Jumped the WR from 18m (59') to 19.25 (63-2) before Dallas Long took it, but then took it back with 19.30 (63-4), for a total improvement of 4 feet, 4 inches!
                Gold in 52 and 56, silver in 60.

RC just needs a nice round 80' and another gold, neither of which would be a surprise.

Comment

Crouser has miles to go before he matches O'Brien in the longevity department (and domination of World Rankings):
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1951 4
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1952 1
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1953 1
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1954 1
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1955 1
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1956 1
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1957 2
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1958 1
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1959 1
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1960 2
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1961 3
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1962 10
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1963 4
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1964 4
                  Parry O’Brien (US) 1966 3

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                    Crouser has miles to go before he matches O'Brien in the longevity department (and domination of World Rankings):
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1951 4
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1952 1
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1953 1
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1954 1
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1955 1
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1956 1
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1957 2
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1958 1
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1959 1
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1960 2
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1961 3
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1962 10
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1963 4
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1964 4
                    Parry O’Brien (US) 1966 3
                    Was he as dominant as Crouser of the all time list? I’d assume so but don’t have any way to test that. Matson, on the other hand, owned that list by 1969.
                    Last edited by Dave; 08-22-2021, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      Crouser has miles to go before he matches O'Brien in the longevity department (and domination of World Rankings)
                      So if RC wins '24 Gold and raises the WR to just 78', you'd say he's not the GOAT?

Janusz Sidlo dominated the JT Rankings for more years than any one else, but we wouldn't suggest he's the GOAT.

Comment

At the very least as mentioned in the Pre thread, RC is not probably getting anywhere near the deserved attention for this season.

Unfortunately, field events are typically overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

So if RC wins '24 Gold and raises the WR to just 78', you'd say he's not the GOAT?

..T.
                          I don't believe you'll find the GOAT concept mentioned anywhere in my post

Comment

He now has more than half of all of the 22.50 throws.

20/43 22.50 throws where it was his best of the day.
                            29/40 22.50 ancillary throws.

so, 49/83 22.50 throws all time.

4/7 23.0 throws.

source http://www.alltime-athletics.com/mshotok.htm

He ain’t the GOAT, but it’s been a long time since anyone else could mount a reasonable challenge.

Comment

Let's just do a Barshim/Tamberi and name both RC and KW AsOY...

Comment

Working...
                              X