X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

Did anyone overlook that her 10.65 broke what is perhaps the oldest w100 MR on the circuit; that is, Evelyn Ashford's 1984 WR of 10.76? Marion couldn't do it, Shelly couldn't do it. ETH was fast enough that she had lots of room to break it, with plenty to spare. 👍
    Yeah that's a crazy!

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by steve View Post
    Maybe it is, but it’s also the most difficult stance to uphold. I’m wondering if you’ve struggled with it in the past or have always felt that way.
    When I joined, I'm sure I had no such view because it was not 'allowed', and Ensigns were not well known for their high-principled stands.
    As I got promoted from Ens to LTjg to LT I, drifted closer to my upbringing (activist mom). By the time I was an LCDR, I said what I wished and as a CDR, I had occasion to teach at USNA, where I could spread my subversive views on their unsuspecting minds.

I was surprised to find that I got zero pushback from the students in my classes since then. I don't think it's been a very 'difficult stance' to hold in the last 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post

My thought process was that if she gets it right, she’s a comfortable Top 4 (4th) in the hurdles. The likes of Paulino are progressing quickly, so the flat is more of a throw names in the hat for medals at this point - if she gets it right, she could still be way down the list and scrapping for a final…though she would likely get a relay gold, at least
    What sounds batter, a comfortable guaranteed 4th place or a very possible silver/bronze?

Granted, I dont think she should switch to the flat, as I think she has sub 52 potential and just needs to get the race right.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

I think for 2022 the reverse is true. It will be much harder medal in the 400mH vs the open 400m.

Remember Muhammad has a wild card to Eugene, so that opens up an extra spot on the team. Hayes now has a wild card in the 400m as well though, so it should be about equal.

But in Eugene, after Miller-Uibo, I still think its wide open (Naser still banned). Where as McLaughlin, Muhammad and Bol look like a solid top 3 in the hurdles unless a mistake is made which you cant plan for with them at this point.
    My thought process was that if she gets it right, she’s a comfortable Top 4 (4th) in the hurdles. The likes of Paulino are progressing quickly, so the flat is more of a throw names in the hat for medals at this point - if she gets it right, she could still be way down the list and scrapping for a final…though she would likely get a relay gold, at least

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied

She probably has a greater chance of making the US team on the flat (fewer ‘hurdles’ to overcome) but more chance of medalling at the main event (WC/OG) over the 400H
    Her best chance to medal at WC/OG is to get on the 4x4 team. And the best chance to make the team is to compete in the open 400 at the Nationals / OT.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied

She probably has a greater chance of making the US team on the flat (fewer ‘hurdles’ to overcome) but more chance of medalling at the main event (WC/OG) over the 400H
    I think for 2022 the reverse is true. It will be much harder medal in the 400mH vs the open 400m.

Remember Muhammad has a wild card to Eugene, so that opens up an extra spot on the team. Hayes now has a wild card in the 400m as well though, so it should be about equal.

But in Eugene, after Miller-Uibo, I still think its wide open (Naser still banned). Where as McLaughlin, Muhammad and Bol look like a solid top 3 in the hurdles unless a mistake is made which you cant plan for with them at this point.
    Last edited by ATK; 09-11-2021, 06:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Having been in the military for so long, I'd like to agree, but I can't because I was defending 'freedom of expression'. The flag is, after all, just a piece of cloth. What it represents is, of course, what I served for.
    If you want to burn it or wipe a body part, I'll be upset, but I will also defend your right to do so.
    I’m very certain many people will read what you wrote and label it virtue signaling. Maybe it is, but it’s also the most difficult stance to uphold. I’m wondering if you’ve struggled with it in the past or have always felt that way.

I applaud you!

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

when it comes to T&FN's World Rankings, fast times are "easy" to overcome. Olympic gold and silver not so much
    Tell that to Christine Ohuruogu, who has 3 global titles and not a single world #1 ranking to show for it.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Flags should not be treated as glorified towels.
    Having been in the military for so long, I'd like to agree, but I can't because I was defending 'freedom of expression'. The flag is, after all, just a piece of cloth. What it represents is, of course, what I served for.
    If you want to burn it or wipe a body part, I'll be upset, but I will also defend your right to do so.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post

Very harsh, Little moved up to 5th all-time this year, she just had a poor race at the trials. Her chances of success over the 400 flat aren’t greater than her chances over the hurdles

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Flags should not be treated as glorified towels.

Leave a comment:

• _Jay
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    What about McLaughlin, SMU and Gardiner? They 'disappeared'. Or were they just tired of training and racing?
    !!! Thank you for saying this. People creating their own narratives….

Leave a comment:

• That70sGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post

The Diamond League isn't a nation vs. nation competition, so it doesn't make much sense to me for the flag to be carried around.
    Exactly

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Ceztoo View Post

you raise great points about the years of hard work. However, I will always remain skeptical about a 20.60 leap to 19.26. Call me crazy. I am just wired that way. But i like your thought process.
    What are you skeptical about?

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by Ceztoo View Post
    you raise great points about the years of hard work. However, I will always remain skeptical about a 20.60 leap to 19.26.
    20.60 to 19.26 was over a 2.5-year span. 20.6 in Feb 2009, 19.78 in 2010, then 19.26 in Sep 2011. Not a giant 1-year leap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X