Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zürich DL 2021

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dave View Post

    Now he looks like AOY. Undefeated, new world record, Olympic champion.
    He looked like (was) AOY after he won in Tokyo.

    After winning Tokyo Crouser besides the WR had:
    * The 4 longest throws of the year (now 6)
    * 6 of the 10 longest throws of the year (now 8)
    * undefeated in 8 competitions (now 12)

    No one else was close then, and since Tokyo the gap has just grown bigger.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

      He looked like (was) AOY after he won in Tokyo.

      After winning Tokyo Crouser besides the WR had:
      * The 4 longest throws of the year (now 6)
      * 6 of the 10 longest throws of the year (now 8)
      * undefeated in 8 competitions (now 12)

      No one else was close then, and since Tokyo the gap has just grown bigger.
      My comment was an attempt to juxtapose someones comment saying he looked like a caged tiger. At the end of the day, he had closed out his undefeated season…

      I absolutely agree that barring some mishap after Tokyo, he was the odds on favorite to win AOY. That mishap never came. It is really hard to imagine someone picking anyone else in spite of their fine performances.

      Comment


      • If Crouser competes in 15 meets per year over the next 6 or 7 years and remains unbeaten he should break Moses undefeated record.

        Comment


        • 7 years....that is a pretty big if...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            7 years....that is a pretty big if...
            Let me explain, O' Great Dismissive One...

            First, Moses' streak is unbelievable so of course it's a pretty big if. However, there are many things going for Crouser that were going for Moses during his streak.

            Comparison to his peers. RC is a foot and a half ahead of the next current guy, Kovacs. So he can have an off day and still win (like he did today). Or someone younger who is not yet out on the circuit will need to be throwing over 74 consistently and hope RC has an off day. I see no such young guy as of this writing, even in the US.

            Historical perspective. RC has 8 of the top 11 all-time throws and 8 of the 13 throws in history over 75 feet. 3 of those throws were by guys who are long gone, Kovacs and Walsh have the other two. After that, no one is close historically and again there is no one on the horizon that looks like they'll be capable.

            Opportunity. You get 6 throws. All you need is one to win. You have a better chance with more opportunity to win.

            Longevity. The amazing thing about Moses' record is he avoided serious injury and even if he had a minor one he still was able to compete. Even in training he remained healthy. In the shot, you of course can have injury, also likely in training but the event itself often does not lead to injury. Of the throws, it's likely the least stressful on the body. Also, a thrower can last a long time, Al Oerter won 4 Golds in the Discus. RC will likely still be throwing well over 74 feet when he's 34. And once again, unless someone out there shows they can throw that far I don't see anyone beating him.

            I'd say right now Kovacs is the only one who has a chance, beyond him there may not be a 75 footer for quite a while.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dave View Post

              Now he looks like AOY. Undefeated, new world record, Olympic champion.
              I am Norwegian and think Warholm's 400 hurdles WR as well as the 300 hurdles WB were out of this world, still Crouser for AOY is a no-brainer IMO.

              Comment


              • Crouser's AOY spot seems to be set (is he doing any more continental tour meets?).

                I do wonder though what thoughts would be if tomorrow Warholm was to (unlikely) set a world record of 45.8x. I still think his 45.94 should be POY.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ATK View Post
                  Crouser's AOY spot seems to be set (is he doing any more continental tour meets?).
                  Zagreb on the 13th.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
                    If Crouser competes in 15 meets per year over the next 6 or 7 years and remains unbeaten he should break Moses undefeated record.
                    Moses's streak is to T&F what DiMaggio's 56-game-hitting-streak is to baseball - an unbreakable record.
                    You not only have to be the very best, by far, but you need a lot of lucky breaks along the way.
                    RC is that good, but he'll also need to be very lucky.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TrackFanSUI View Post
                      As you might know. Track and Field is a relative big thing in Switzerland. Probably the biggest sport here after Football (Soccer) or skiing. Thats why we‘re performing quite well for a small european country with 8 Mio population. Compared to other similar countries like Austria. (In relation, Germany is 10x bigger, UK is 7-8x bigger).
                      Austria has never been a T&F powerhouse. How about comparison with Czechia or Sweden, countries with comparable population? Norway has a significantly smaller population and while they may not have the depth, they've got two huge stars in the form of Warholm and J. Ingebrigtsen.
                      Last edited by Powell; 09-09-2021, 03:06 AM.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Moses's streak is to T&F what DiMaggio's 56-game-hitting-streak is to baseball - an unbreakable record.
                        You not only have to be the very best, by far, but you need a lot of lucky breaks along the way.
                        RC is that good, but he'll also need to be very lucky.
                        Not only do I think Crouser is as dominant right now as Moses ever was, I don't believe he needs as many lucky breaks as Moses did other than staying healthy which I previously addressed.

                        As long as they don't keep that stupid 3 final format, he can foul on 5 of 6 attempts but if he gets one out near 75 feet he'll win. No one has shown that they can even get near 75 consistently. Kovacs is 3 years older and neither he nor Walsh has hit 75 feet in two years. There are no juniors throwing any where near 70 feet right now. Who is going to beat Crouser even in the near future unless he starts throwing left handed? If there is someone out there, he's likely in middle school right now.

                        Valerie Adams had a 56 meet streak which likely would still be going today had she not had multiple upper body and leg surgeries.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
                          Not only do I think Crouser is as dominant right now as Moses ever was, I don't believe he needs as many lucky breaks as Moses did other than staying healthy which I previously addressed. . . . Valerie Adams had a 56 meet streak which likely would still be going today had she not had multiple upper body and leg surgeries.
                          I think you just provided the corroboration for my point.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

                            Not only do I think Crouser is as dominant right now as Moses ever was, I don't believe he needs as many lucky breaks as Moses did other than staying healthy which I previously addressed.
                            He needs lucky breaks to stay healthy. Elite shot putters are regularly heaving 500-900 lbs in the gym, which isn't kind to the spine and joints.

                            But in competition with 6 chances to get it right he needs fewer lucky breaks than a hurdler who has 10 chances for things to go wrong.
                            Last edited by 18.99s; 09-09-2021, 04:18 AM.

                            Comment


                            • My favorite moments from today's meet was NOT the competitions!
                              It was the outside-the-ring interactions of the Shot Putters--both male and female.
                              They were all in the same area waiting their turn to throw, and several times I saw them "in a zone", but walking past another Putter--especially of a different gender!
                              You don't normally see them mixing like that!
                              Also loved seeing Walsh and Crouser talking at length and laughing!
                              More, please!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

                                As long as they don't keep that stupid 3 final format, he can foul on 5 of 6 attempts but if he gets one out near 75 feet he'll win. No one has shown that they can even get near 75 consistently. Kovacs is 3 years older and neither he nor Walsh has hit 75 feet in two years.
                                They don't need any consistency to beat Crouser once out of many competitions. They just need one huge throw on the right day when Crouser isn't at his best.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X