X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DET59
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Forget non-winning, that is the overall 3rd best single day double in history,
    1. 29.48 – Justin Gatlin (9.77, 19.71) – September 5, 2014 – Brussels
    2. 29.59 – Divine Oduduru (9.87, 19.73 ) – June 7, 2019 – Austin
    3. 29.61 – Andre De Grasse (9.89, 19.72) August 9th, 2021 – Zurich
    4. 29.67 – Ato Boldon (9.90, 19.77) – July 13, 1997 – Stuttgart
    5. 29.70 – Divine Oduduru (9.94, 19.76) – April 20, 2019 – Waco
    Thanks for posting this list... Didnt realize how high up he'd be. I'm sure someone will break Gatlins same day double (29 48) long before anyone goes below Degrasse''s 29.59 without winning at least one of the races.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Eh-yup! Not sure if it will take, but for now, every day is Saturday!
    Congratulations! I know I’ve enjoyed the heck out of my first two years, covid19 not withstanding.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Michael Cherry! This was his trials as well and he knew it with that dive! He also gets the wild card to Eugene!
    After the Olympic 400m, Cherry told Lewis Johnson "I should have dove." So I think he learned his own lesson rather quickly.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

Did I miss this? Hard to believe.
    https://worldathletics.org/competiti...ips-nairobi-21
    "Defending world champions will be offered a wild card entry, as will the winners of the 2021 Diamond League, Race Walk Challenge, Combined Events Challenge and the leading hammer performers on the Continental Tour."

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

But in this case it is a meet official bringing out the flag to the winner. I know this sounds weird but I don't have a problem with it but I find it odd.

In Hayes' case...after her race when she's lying on the ground she had flowers dropped in her lap and the flag thrown over her. I was ready for some bagpipes and some tissues.
    Between the mascots at some meets, sometimes the bottles or sports drinks and branded towels they try to give athletes after crossing the line, the meet organizers want photos, videos and moments to share from their meet. I'm sure if they could get the winners to hold up signs that said "I love the Zurich diamond league" as they crossed the line, they would do it just for years of promotion.

Also, come on...you exaggerated the flowers and flag a bit here. They handed Hayes the flowers while she was on the ground. And for the flag, the person patiently waited for the right moment and draped it on her back like a cape. Very similar to how Kirani James draped the flag around Gardiner after the Olympic 400m. I thought it was a nice gesture especially in the midst of making Hayes feel like a champion despite a rollercoaster season.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Also, seems that Kendell Williams will get the wild card in the Heptathlon for winning the 2021 Combined Events Challenge.
    Did I miss this? Hard to believe.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied

I see thats an understandable point. One thing the flag would make sense for is that winning the DL, in most but not all cases (see USA), grants you a chance to represent your country at the next world championships. (But I know for a fact this is not why they give them a flag, because they also gave the winners flags at the Brussels DL)

But meh, if an athlete wanted to celebrate with a neon light flashing monkey robot riding on their back, I'm all for it. Do what you want if you win.
    But in this case it is a meet official bringing out the flag to the winner. I know this sounds weird but I don't have a problem with it but I find it odd.

In Hayes' case...after her race when she's lying on the ground she had flowers dropped in her lap and the flag thrown over her. I was ready for some bagpipes and some tissues.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post

The Diamond League isn't a nation vs. nation competition, so it doesn't make much sense to me for the flag to be carried around.
    This custom isn't unique to the Diamond League. They also wave flags and play the national anthem of the winner at Grand Tour bike races.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied

The Diamond League isn't a nation vs. nation competition, so it doesn't make much sense to me for the flag to be carried around.
    I see thats an understandable point. One thing the flag would make sense for is that winning the DL, in most but not all cases (see USA), grants you a chance to represent your country at the next world championships. (But I know for a fact this is not why they give them a flag, because they also gave the winners flags at the Brussels DL)

But meh, if an athlete wanted to celebrate with a neon light flashing monkey robot riding on their back, I'm all for it. Do what you want if you win.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied

Genuinely curious, whats wrong with it? Is it the flag (of any country FYI) specifically, or just the idea of celebrating "too much" after a DL win?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post
    You retired?
    Eh-yup! Not sure if it will take, but for now, every day is Saturday!

Leave a comment:

• JMysterio
    replied
    I don't have a problem with flag wraps; nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from. The problem I have is the flags are tossed from the stands and often land on the track...in the US that's a Bozo No-No. The flag should never touch the ground.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    I'm sure I'm the only curmudgeon who doesn't like the flag-wrapping after each event.
    Genuinely curious, whats wrong with it? Is it the flag (of any country FYI) specifically, or just the idea of celebrating "too much" after a DL win?

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

in my small circle of track nut friends (4) we all share the same sentiment of dislike for the flag wrapping...it was tolerable when it was spontaneous but this scripted bs has gone on long enough
    In the curmudgeon department, I will throw out all the "Team This" and "Team That" silliness. I swear Sanya Richards would reference someone representing "Team Wallis and Futuna".

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Now you tell me - I already have!
    You retired?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X