Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    What about McLaughlin, SMU and Gardiner? They 'disappeared'. Or were they just tired of training and racing?
    Maybe it's just me being unfair and putting more expectation from the Olympic Champion in the crown jewel event of the whole OG's (though this year it was the Women's). If Elaine Thompson had done the same I probably wouldn't have questioned the move considering her injury history and how much she put her body through in Tokyo. Like someone mentioned its more the competitive side of my brain, you pulled off a shocking win (to the general public) now back that up, you scared? Sydney Mac, SMU and Gardiner we've seen in championship settings, LMJ we really didn't aside from Euro Indoors. He took advantage of the moment and his times leading into the final gave him an equal chance like the others.

I'm definitely being unfair, it just didn't sit right with me personally. Anyways, Fred Kerley is definitely my #1 in the event for the season.
    Last edited by Weights&Shoes; 09-10-2021, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Jacobs manager back when his withdrawal from Pre was announced:

“It is simply that Marcell has given so much this year, all he had, so to insist (on competing) would only mean risking an injury”

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
        Fred Kerley is definitely my #1 in the event for the season.
        He was definitely one of the great stories of this year. Everyone second-guessed his dalliance with shorter sprints, but he stuck to them and has some awesome PRs, a silver medal, and a DL Championship trophy, to show for it!

Comment

• For whatever reason, Kerley has become one of my most favorite active athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

It was time for that switch long before now.
            Very harsh, Little moved up to 5th all-time this year, she just had a poor race at the trials. Her chances of success over the 400 flat aren’t greater than her chances over the hurdles

Comment

• Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post

Very harsh, Little moved up to 5th all-time this year, she just had a poor race at the trials. Her chances of success over the 400 flat aren’t greater than her chances over the hurdles
              I wonder. If/when she has a bad hurdle her face shows major distress. She panics, I'd say. With the 400 she could just concentrate on speed and form with far fewer chances for things to cause her anxiety.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post

disagree...she has had a number of big races where she melted down in the stretch...why can't she perform in crunch time? and the 400 flat is a much weaker event right now for USA women than is the 400h.

Comment

in my small circle of track nut friends (4) we all share the same sentiment of dislike for the flag wrapping...it was tolerable when it was spontaneous but this scripted bs has gone on long enough
                  USOPC has training sessions for Olympians called "Managing Victory" in which they are given instructions on how they should act, what they should or should not do, and what to do with the flag. The instructions for it with the flag are very specific about how you are supposed to hold and what not to do with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by smj View Post
                    I do think it would be nice to see something like cycling where the world champion wears a distinctive jersey all year while they are reigning champ. Champs also wear rainbow stripes on their jersey sleeves for the rest of their career. Similarly national champions wear their national champ jersey while they are reigning champs. It breaks up the parade of trade team kit and for T&F would give a break from races full of the same Nike kit.
                    All former cycling world champions not only wear the rainbow stripes on their sleeves, but they may wear it on their neck collar on the cycling jersey and may wear cycling gloves with rainbow stripes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      What about McLaughlin, SMU and Gardiner? They 'disappeared'. Or were they just tired of training and racing?
                      Atticus and I have discussed this - I like McLaughlin but she competes so rarely. Since 2016 seems like a big season for her is 4 races.

Comment

why can't she perform in crunch time?
                        You mean like when she won world championship silver at just 20 years old?

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Atticus and I have discussed this - I like McLaughlin but she competes so rarely. Since 2016 seems like a big season for her is 4 races.
                          What does rarely mean though?

2017 she was in HS and ran tons of races at all distances (21 individual races not including rounds or relays)
                          2018 she was in the NCAA and ran tons of races at all distances (12 individual races not including rounds or relays)
                          2019 she was a Pro and ran races at all distances (9 individual races). Everything from an indoor 500m, a Diamond League flat 400m and 7 400mH races, including the DL final.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

2013 - Moscow ended Aug 18th (Zurich, Sep 29th + Brussels Sep 6th)
                            Typo here. Weltklasse Zürich meeting was held in August.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                              You mean like when she won world championship silver at just 20 years old?
                              6 years ago! Very doubtful she will ever beat SM, DM or FB...and I expect Anna Cockrell to be in the mid to high 52's within a year or 2 so that will make it very problematic for SL to even make USA int'l team.
                              Last edited by SoCal45; 09-11-2021, 03:40 AM.

Comment

6 years ago! Very doubtful she will ever beat SM, DM or FB...and I expect Anna Cockrell to be in the mid to high 52's within a year or 2 so that will make it very problematic for SL to even make USA int'l team.
                                Probably plenty of wild cards in the mix, à la Muhammad next year, so perhaps not so difficult to qualify for the World Championships.

Comment

Working...
                                X