Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Is there a case for Bol to rank #2 in the world ahead of Muhammad in the 400mH (#1 ahead of Sydney?)

Or Olympics keeps them safe?
    51.46 and 51.58 are hard to overcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

51.46 and 51.58 are hard to overcome.
      when it comes to T&FN's World Rankings, fast times are "easy" to overcome. Olympic gold and silver not so much

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
        Mboma's 2nd 100 has to be the best ever.
        Flo ran the final 100 of her WR in 10.16. Schippers (21.63) and Thomas (21.61) both ran 10.4. I haven't checked yet on ETH's final 100 of her 21.53.

Update: I caught the Zürich rewind. She might have gone 10.3 in that final 100 to catch Shericka Jackson.
        Last edited by CookyMonzta; 09-11-2021, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
          Good meet, nice way to wrap up an amazing season. Not sure where this season ranks with others over the past 2 decades but I would say it's up there.

- ETH wrapping up a magical season with another 10.6...loved her IG story with all of the DL Champs at the end.
          Did anyone overlook that her 10.65 broke what is perhaps the oldest w100 MR on the circuit; that is, Evelyn Ashford's 1984 WR of 10.76? Marion couldn't do it, Shelly couldn't do it. ETH was fast enough that she had lots of room to break it, with plenty to spare. 👍

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

One factor was probably that this was the first year the DL final was over a month after the end of the Global Championships in the same year, therefore a longer extension of the season.

2011 - Daegu ended Sep 4th (Zurich, Sep 8th + Brussels, Sep 16th)
            2012 - London ended Aug 12th (Zurich, Aug 30th + Brussels, Sep 7th)
            2013 - Moscow ended Aug 18th (Zurich, Aug 29th + Brussels Sep 6th)
            2015 - Beijing ended Aug 30th (Zurich, Sep 3rd + Brussels, Sep 11th)
            2016 - Rio ended Aug 21(Zurich, Sep 1st + Brussels, Sep 9th)
            2017 - London ended Aug 13th (Zurich, Aug 24th + Brussels, Sep 1st)
            2019 - Doha started Sep 27th (Zurich, Aug 29th + Brussels Sep 6th)
            2021 - Tokyo ended Aug 8 (Zurich, Sep 9th)

So even in 2019 with worlds in October, it was still closer to the DL final than this year was. (Note Brussels was not a DL final this year). And with an early World's next year, probably an excuse to just shut things down.
            You know something? I liked the Doha scenario better. Nothing better than to have the biggest meet of the year be the last big meet of the year. A small meet followed Seoul 1988, and Sydney 2000 ended the 2000 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

6 years ago! Very doubtful she will ever beat SM, DM or FB...and I expect Anna Cockrell to be in the mid to high 52's within a year or 2 so that will make it very problematic for SL to even make USA int'l team.
              Yes. just wanted to make sure we dont forget what she has accomplished. Next year Muhammad has the WC wild card so that opens up another spot. So maybe McLaughlin + Little + Cockrell.

Also its important to highlight Little at 20 considering McLaughlin and Bol are around that age. Though I wouldn't bet against them dominating the next few years, but we also cant hand out medals and career accolades before they actually earn them.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                Years before Blake's 19.26, he ran 10.11 as a 17 year old and 10.33 as a 16 year old. His progression to 19.26 had many years of hard training and quality times along the way. Nothing like Mboma coming out of nowhere at age 18.

And they both were over 20 years old with more than 5 years of serious training under their belts at that point. Not teenagers with one year of serious training.

you raise great points about the years of hard work. However, I will always remain skeptical about a 20.60 leap to 19.26. Call me crazy. I am just wired that way. But i like your thought process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  He was definitely one of the great stories of this year. Everyone second-guessed his dalliance with shorter sprints, but he stuck to them and has some awesome PRs, a silver medal, and a DL Championship trophy, to show for it!
                  Agreed.

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  For whatever reason, Kerley has become one of my most favorite active athletes.
                  Yup. Just goes about his business. And I wasn't the biggest FK fan at all when he was primarily a 400m runner. He's definitely turned me into a fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ceztoo View Post

you raise great points about the years of hard work. However, I will always remain skeptical about a 20.60 leap to 19.26. Call me crazy. I am just wired that way. But i like your thought process.
                    Blake did run 19.7+ before he ran 19.26.

Comment

you raise great points about the years of hard work. However, I will always remain skeptical about a 20.60 leap to 19.26.
                      20.60 to 19.26 was over a 2.5-year span. 20.6 in Feb 2009, 19.78 in 2010, then 19.26 in Sep 2011. Not a giant 1-year leap.

Comment

What are you skeptical about?

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

The Diamond League isn't a nation vs. nation competition, so it doesn't make much sense to me for the flag to be carried around.
                          Exactly

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            What about McLaughlin, SMU and Gardiner? They 'disappeared'. Or were they just tired of training and racing?
                            !!! Thank you for saying this. People creating their own narratives….

Comment

• Flags should not be treated as glorified towels.

Comment

• Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post

Very harsh, Little moved up to 5th all-time this year, she just had a poor race at the trials. Her chances of success over the 400 flat aren’t greater than her chances over the hurdles
                                She probably has a greater chance of making the US team on the flat (fewer ‘hurdles’ to overcome) but more chance of medalling at the main event (WC/OG) over the 400H

Comment

Working...
                                X