Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real problem is they still have to pay for those athletes to show up.... whether anyone is watching or not... I don't think many realize the DLs aren't doing all that well financially these days that they can literally throw money around.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-05-2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      The real problem is they still have to pay for those athletes to show up.... whether anyone is watching or not...
      If they don't wish to pay the athletes then mothball the events for the track and run only events 1500 and under. Mothball field events that no one wishes to see as well and make it a one-hour meet. Of course will anyone pay for a one-hour meet? Bit of an issue as you either have Athletics as a sport or you have it as a traveling carnival of spinters.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post

If they don't wish to pay the athletes then mothball the events for the track and run only events 1500 and under. Mothball field events that no one wishes to see as well and make it a one-hour meet. Of course will anyone pay for a one-hour meet? Bit of an issue as you either have Athletics as a sport or you have it as a traveling carnival of spinters.
        I don't think you noticed but they are doing that already. One DL meet had the longest men's flat race an 800. And of course the horizontal events format is another way to streamline things.

The only DL meet with money to spend is Pre. The others are just hanging on.

Comment

I would think that must-haves (not to be confused with this year's "DL events") would be

200 or 400
          800 and/or1500
          110H
          400H
          HJ and/or PV
          LJ or TJ
          SP
          other throw

obviously they can't have men AND women get all those, so fields get determined by which events are easiest/cheapest to fill with top-8 talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I don't think you noticed but they are doing that already. One DL meet had the longest men's flat race an 800. And of course the horizontal events format is another way to streamline things.

The only DL meet with money to spend is Pre. The others are just hanging on.
            I did notice and have noticed that but they are too chickensheet to pull the plug... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              I would think that must-haves (not to be confused with this year's "DL events") would be

200 or 400
              800 and/or1500
              110H
              400H
              HJ and/or PV
              LJ or TJ
              SP
              other throw

obviously they can't have men AND women get all those, so fields get determined by which events are easiest/cheapest to fill with top-8 talent.
              100, 400, 1500, 110H, PV, LJ, SP and done.

TBH, you could likely get rid of the 110 but seems like it's grandfathered.

Comment

If you want to keep the HJ then make it a contest for dunking a tennis ball at different heights. Start at 10-feet for men then move it up 4 inches at a time.

Comment

Until some new blood comes on the scene the HJ, LJ, TJ and DT all seem to be lacking in excitement.

Comment

Run the distance races in DL meets first. Those who wish to watch will watch, those who don't won't. It won't affect attendance. so if there is a 5,000 or - dare I even say it - a 10,000 have those run at the beginning. Same with the steeples and then finish the meet with the remainder.
                    A great, common sense idea! I guess that is the problem.

Comment

If you want to keep the HJ then make it a contest for dunking a tennis ball at different heights. Start at 10-feet for men then move it up 4 inches at a time.
                      If you're 7'2" and have an arm-span of 86", I think you'd win with just a little ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        If you're 7'2" and have an arm-span of 86", I think you'd win with just a little ups.
                        Even today, Manute Bol would be a force to be reckoned with, in a tennis ball dunking competition

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Even today, Manute Bol would be a force to be reckoned with, in a tennis ball dunking competition
                          Ummmm, I'd pay to see that.

Match him up with Lazarus, maybe?

Comment

NBAer Solomon Jones, at the NBA Combine, had a jump reach of 12'4. That's dollar-bill-off-the-top-of-the-backboard high.

H Globetrotter, Michael Wilson, dunked on a 12' rim, as did D Howard.
                            Last edited by Atticus; 09-06-2021, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Initial Start Lists up.
                              https://zurich.diamondleague.com/en/...esults-zurich/

All the survivors from recent DLs there.

Super-studs in abundance: RC, Stahl, Rojas, Hassan, Mondo, Vetter, ETH, Wardude, Mboma

but of particular interest is

a J Inge double, 15/5 !!
                              w3000St - Chemutei, Frerichs, Kiyeng, Jeruto
                              m3000St - El B to avenge his fall
                              m200 - DeG, Bednarek, Kerley

Comment

Norman passes on both the 1 and 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X