Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Flags should not be treated as glorified towels.
    Having been in the military for so long, I'd like to agree, but I can't because I was defending 'freedom of expression'. The flag is, after all, just a piece of cloth. What it represents is, of course, what I served for.
    If you want to burn it or wipe a body part, I'll be upset, but I will also defend your right to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

when it comes to T&FN's World Rankings, fast times are "easy" to overcome. Olympic gold and silver not so much
      Tell that to Christine Ohuruogu, who has 3 global titles and not a single world #1 ranking to show for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Having been in the military for so long, I'd like to agree, but I can't because I was defending 'freedom of expression'. The flag is, after all, just a piece of cloth. What it represents is, of course, what I served for.
        If you want to burn it or wipe a body part, I'll be upset, but I will also defend your right to do so.
        I’m very certain many people will read what you wrote and label it virtue signaling. Maybe it is, but it’s also the most difficult stance to uphold. I’m wondering if you’ve struggled with it in the past or have always felt that way.

I applaud you!

Comment

• Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post

She probably has a greater chance of making the US team on the flat (fewer ‘hurdles’ to overcome) but more chance of medalling at the main event (WC/OG) over the 400H
          I think for 2022 the reverse is true. It will be much harder medal in the 400mH vs the open 400m.

Remember Muhammad has a wild card to Eugene, so that opens up an extra spot on the team. Hayes now has a wild card in the 400m as well though, so it should be about equal.

But in Eugene, after Miller-Uibo, I still think its wide open (Naser still banned). Where as McLaughlin, Muhammad and Bol look like a solid top 3 in the hurdles unless a mistake is made which you cant plan for with them at this point.
          Last edited by ATK; 09-11-2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

She probably has a greater chance of making the US team on the flat (fewer ‘hurdles’ to overcome) but more chance of medalling at the main event (WC/OG) over the 400H
            Her best chance to medal at WC/OG is to get on the 4x4 team. And the best chance to make the team is to compete in the open 400 at the Nationals / OT.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

I think for 2022 the reverse is true. It will be much harder medal in the 400mH vs the open 400m.

Remember Muhammad has a wild card to Eugene, so that opens up an extra spot on the team. Hayes now has a wild card in the 400m as well though, so it should be about equal.

But in Eugene, after Miller-Uibo, I still think its wide open (Naser still banned). Where as McLaughlin, Muhammad and Bol look like a solid top 3 in the hurdles unless a mistake is made which you cant plan for with them at this point.
              My thought process was that if she gets it right, she’s a comfortable Top 4 (4th) in the hurdles. The likes of Paulino are progressing quickly, so the flat is more of a throw names in the hat for medals at this point - if she gets it right, she could still be way down the list and scrapping for a final…though she would likely get a relay gold, at least

Comment

My thought process was that if she gets it right, she’s a comfortable Top 4 (4th) in the hurdles. The likes of Paulino are progressing quickly, so the flat is more of a throw names in the hat for medals at this point - if she gets it right, she could still be way down the list and scrapping for a final…though she would likely get a relay gold, at least
                What sounds batter, a comfortable guaranteed 4th place or a very possible silver/bronze?

Granted, I dont think she should switch to the flat, as I think she has sub 52 potential and just needs to get the race right.

Comment

• Originally posted by steve View Post
                  Maybe it is, but it’s also the most difficult stance to uphold. I’m wondering if you’ve struggled with it in the past or have always felt that way.
                  When I joined, I'm sure I had no such view because it was not 'allowed', and Ensigns were not well known for their high-principled stands.
                  As I got promoted from Ens to LTjg to LT I, drifted closer to my upbringing (activist mom). By the time I was an LCDR, I said what I wished and as a CDR, I had occasion to teach at USNA, where I could spread my subversive views on their unsuspecting minds.

I was surprised to find that I got zero pushback from the students in my classes since then. I don't think it's been a very 'difficult stance' to hold in the last 20 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

Did anyone overlook that her 10.65 broke what is perhaps the oldest w100 MR on the circuit; that is, Evelyn Ashford's 1984 WR of 10.76? Marion couldn't do it, Shelly couldn't do it. ETH was fast enough that she had lots of room to break it, with plenty to spare. 👍
                    Yeah that's a crazy!

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

What sounds batter, a comfortable guaranteed 4th place or a very possible silver/bronze?

Granted, I dont think she should switch to the flat, as I think she has sub 52 potential and just needs to get the race right.
                      She certainly has the talent to match Bol…putting it together will come, I’m sure.

Comment

She certainly has the talent to match Bol…
                        ​Why are you comparing her to Bol?
                        Little is 26 and has been hurdling for a decade, since she was 16.
                        Bol is 21 and this is just her 3rd year hurdling.

A more appropriate comparison for her potential would be Muhammad, who is 31. At 26 she had been competing in the hurdles for a decade too. Little is faster than Muhammad at that age. Maybe Little can match Muhammad's latter part of her caterer.

There's been so much talk by some posters these last couple of seasons on McLaughlin's potential to dominate the event and be AOTD. Yet she's been hurdling herself for many, many years, is technically sound, yet Bol, 6 months younger, only her 3rd year into the event, is snapping at her heels. Let's see how they both develop, because at the moment , Bol's potential is by far the greatest of the top women hurdles.

Comment

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

Flo ran the final 100 of her WR in 10.16. Schippers (21.63) and Thomas (21.61) both ran 10.4. I haven't checked yet on ETH's final 100 of her 21.53.

Update: I caught the Zürich rewind. She might have gone 10.3 in that final 100 to catch Shericka Jackson.
                          Mboma's first 100 has certainly improved and she was nowhere near last place coming off the bend.

Whilst she has been amazing this season, let's not forget another athlete with DSD, Seyni, only did so-so in Tokyo. She was unable to race this year, so rustiness is a real factor, but some were thinking she should do amazing things over 200m but hasn't yet. Masilingi was very good, but does she have the same potential as Mboma? No. So we shouldn't over do the DSD argument, when Seyni's not on the same level, despite having run amazing times over 400m

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Tell that to Christine Ohuruogu, who has 3 global titles and not a single world #1 ranking to show for it.
                            Ohurougu had a tendency to produce her best form at the major champs and not elsewhere. I assume in each of those years, the #1 ranked athlete had a much better win-loss record than her.

Comment

• Unless injured, then fans are right to question why Jacobs stopped competing after Tokyo. But they should be consistent and question every Oly champ that does the same, so that includes McLaughlin and SMU.

The latter has been carrying an injury, that was clear in Tokyo, so uts understandable that she ends her season.
                              McLaughlin wasn't, but some excuse her because of her stress and pressure she faced. Why not the same courtesy to Jacobs? If people are going to quote his ex nutritionist and those accusations as a concern, are they willing to look at Angela Bailey's accusations re McLaughlin's coach, under oath, from the Dubin Enquiry? No, thought not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguarclaws View Post
                                Man , I know Coleman is the defending world champ, but he got himself suspended this year . Kerley worked hard to get it, stepped out of his comfort zone this year and was very consistent particularly in the 100. Kerley won the race and prize money but he and Bednarek did not get rewarded for their wins in the 100/200.
                                You'd think a subsequent ban would rescind any invite. They need to write that into the rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X