Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McL and Muh have the same problem that Warholm is now facing - having run TOO good a time. Bol is the hungriest now and that's important.
    I could see McL starting to look at other events (100H, 400, LJ?, 200?). That said, I can't see Bol beating McL in a 400H Championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Bol is the hungriest now and that's important.
      How so? There is an argument to be made that all 3 (+1 with Little) are equally if not more hungry than the others for various reasons.

Comment

• Ill make an outlandish statement here, Bol wont ever beat a healthy SM in a final. Muhammed now is a different story and I very much think she'll retain her title in Eugene.
        Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Prodigies tend to fizzle out younger than others.

And speaking of struggling to break 56, guess who couldn't break 56 at age 22? Dalilah Muhammad.
          Yep, Candace Hill and Kaylin Whitney were prodigies, not to mention Mary Cain and all the other distance prodigies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post
            Ill make an outlandish statement here, Bol wont ever beat a healthy SM in a final. Muhammed now is a different story and I very much think she'll retain her title in Eugene.
            2nd statement is not really outlandish considering what we have seen this year with her barely losing to McLaughlin in Tokyo despite coming off a hamstring injury and early training setbacks due to having covid.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
              How so?
              Human nature.
              All 3 (KW, SM, DM) worked super hard to win global titles and run impossible times. They have. Bol has not.
              I really hope you're right and they still have unfinished business (more titles), but the times that ran are, paradoxically, . . . discouraging.

Comment

Human nature.
                All 3 (KW, SM, DM) worked super hard to win global titles and run impossible times. They have. Bol has not.
                I really hope you're right and they still have unfinished business (more titles), but the times that ran are, paradoxically, . . . discouraging.
                I see times as only part of the motivation. McLaughlin has yet to win World Gold. Muhammad has always been put in the shadow of McLaughlin (even before and after USA's in 2019!) and could become the first woman to defend their world title. Warholm has Benjamin right on his heels in that other worldly territory. Muhammad was already Olympic/World Champion and 2x World record holder yet found motivation to run what she did this year.

Also, despite the improvement in the events, I still look at sub 52.8-ish (women) and sub 47.2-ish (men) as other worldly (so Bol and Benjamin are in the conversation IMO)
                Last edited by ATK; 09-13-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                  Warholm has Benjamin right on his heels in that other worldly territory. Muhammad was already being Olympic/World Champion and 2x World record holder yet found motivation to run what she did this year.
                  You're right, everyone is motivated by different goals.
                  Staying ahead of Benjamin seems like a negative goal - don't lose. Do you think he will run sub-46 again?
                  Muhammad, as you mentioned, was 'chasing' Sydney, even as she was beating her.
                  Do you think SMcL will PR before the Paris Olympics?

People like Mondo will always have the motivation, because he can best the WR by 1cm and always think he can go one more.
                  Karsten and Rai and Sydney and Dalilah have put themselves a long way away from another PR.

Comment

I could see McL starting to look at other events (100H, 400, LJ?, 200?).
                    Following in the footsteps of that well-known long jumper Edwin Moses . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post
                      Ill make an outlandish statement here, Bol wont ever beat a healthy SM in a final. Muhammed now is a different story and I very much think she'll retain her title in Eugene.
                      I have a different outlandish prediction: In the 2022 or 2023 WC final, Bol will run sub-52 in the final but McLaughlin won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Yep, Candace Hill and Kaylin Whitney were prodigies, not to mention Mary Cain and all the other distance prodigies.
                        So were Raevyn Rogers and Allyson Felix. And that guy named Bolt. And that Ingebrigtsen fella.

Comment

You're right, everyone is motivated by different goals.
                          Staying ahead of Benjamin seems like a negative goal - don't lose. Do you think he will run sub-46 again?
                          Muhammad, as you mentioned, was 'chasing' Sydney, even as she was beating her.
                          Do you think SMcL will PR before the Paris Olympics?
                          I dont predict the times to be immediately replicated (I would love to be wrong!), But a slow down in times doesn't mean they loose their dominance. But we have to not forget the circumstances that brought Muhammad/McLaughlin to their fast times are also what dragged Bol down to her best.

Based on what we have seen, the women seem to be special in that they "need" each other to run other worldly times. Whether thats McLaughlin/Muhammad/Bol or Bol/Little.

Comment

I have a different outlandish prediction: In the 2022 or 2023 WC final, Bol will run sub-52 in the final but McLaughlin won't.
                            Good luck with the sub-52, but I certainly see SM not in the race. She'll be winning something else.

Comment

Because McLaughlin would have either run sub 51 or would have came second to SMU/Athing Mu in the 400m thus not running the 400m hurdles. My opinion of course. Could we see Sydney start to focus on the flat 400? .

Comment

Good luck with the sub-52, but I certainly see SM not in the race. She'll be winning something else.
                                The 4x4?? Any other event and she wont come away with the Gold in the next two years. Paris is another story.

Comment

Working...
                                X