Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zürich DL 2021

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Human nature.
    All 3 (KW, SM, DM) worked super hard to win global titles and run impossible times. They have. Bol has not.
    I really hope you're right and they still have unfinished business (more titles), but the times that ran are, paradoxically, . . . discouraging.
    Imposdible times?
    Isn
    Isn't Bol's 52.03 faster than SML at same age?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
      Imposdible times?
      Isn
      Isn't Bol's 52.03 faster than SML at same age?
      Impossible times = 45.94, 46.17; 51.46, 51.58. When Bol breaks 51.60, we can resume the discussion.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by gm View Post
        Just a thought here, in case no one has mentioned it; but do all performances on this irregular track count toward road race statistics? What you have here for the 5K is literally a circuit road race.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

          Imposdible times?
          Isn
          Isn't Bol's 52.03 faster than SML at same age?
          If SML = Sydney McLaughlin then no. McLaughlin was 21 when she ran 51.90 and 51.46

          Comment


          • Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

            Just a thought here, in case no one has mentioned it; but do all performances on this irregular track count toward road race statistics? What you have here for the 5K is literally a circuit road race.
            I anticipate these performances will be filed under "irregular marks" for "oversized track". I see at least one prominent site has already done so.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ATK View Post

              If SML = Sydney McLaughlin then no. McLaughlin was 21 when she ran 51.90 and 51.46
              Bol is 6 months younger than SM. I think that's what he meant. At the same age in years and months, SM's PR was 52.23.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ATK View Post

                If SML = Sydney McLaughlin then no. McLaughlin was 21 when she ran 51.90 and 51.46
                When Bol ran her 52.03 she was 21 years 5 months 11 days.
                At that same age SML's fastest time was 52.23
                Her 51.90 was when she was 21 years 10 months 20 days

                Comment


                • Good grief, Charlie Brown! My head is spinning.

                  I will go out on a limb and predict that SM, DM, and FB will work hard on what needs improving, and do their best to beat one another. I look forward to the next year or two. Or three.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post
                    Good grief, Charlie Brown! My head is spinning.

                    I will go out on a limb and predict that SM, DM, and FB will work hard on what needs improving, and do their best to beat one another. I look forward to the next year or two. Or three.
                    LOL this! ^

                    I predict the same. I feel that any one of them could have won the Worlds next year....were they not in the US. As they are, I expect a US winner, but from 2022, it could be anyone's. Possibly more likely to be Syd's or Bols as Muhammad will be what, 32 next year? She may retire after Eugene 2022, or she may go on to Paris, but surely the younger women will have the edge by then. But just because of the gap in Tokyo, I don't agree that Bol will never beat Syd in the next decade at all. Unless Syd soon switches events. I would not be surprised by this - or even retirement after Paris 2024, after seeing her breakdown video on IG.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                      I would not be surprised by this - or even retirement after Paris 2024, after seeing her breakdown video on IG.
                      Indeed. There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.
                      I'd love to see her explore the 100H or the 200/400 in 2022, despite the low-hanging fruit in Eugene.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Indeed. There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.
                        I'd love to see her explore the 100H or the 200/400 in 2022,
                        I agree with this ^

                        Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        despite the low-hanging fruit in Eugene.
                        but if you mean the 400mh as low hanging fruit, this bit I don't.

                        The calibre of Muhammad and Bol, and the races in the last 2 major championships, have meant Syd has to be at the absolute top of her game, the best ever, and even then, might not win (2019) or only win by a fairly small margin (2021).

                        The flat 400m would be intriguing for me, because Syd has sub 49 potential, on paper, based off her 400mh, 4x4 splits and short sprint times. Is this enough to topple an in-form SMU? Probably not, but what event will SMU do next year, she may do the 200 only.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                          but what event will SMU do next year, she may do the 200 only.
                          There's part of me that suspects SMU may take 2022 to get her first 400m World title then switch events after. Remember some of the factors that led to her doubling in Tokyo when she was originally only leaning towards the 200m: Naser banned, Mboma and Masilingi unable to run. Those things hold true in Eugene next year.

                          Also though, I agree that McLaughlin (or even Mu) probably cant beat SMU in current form. 48.36 from blocks, at the end of a 200/400 double, while apparently banged up is no joke. Mu could only match that on a full out relay split, let alone from blocks.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                            but if you mean the 400mh as low hanging fruit, this bit I don't. The calibre of Muhammad and Bol, and the races in the last 2 major championships, have meant Syd has to be at the absolute top of her game,
                            So, if Sydney has to be "at the absolute top of her game" to win, where do Muhammad and Bol have to be to win? [hint - somewhere well beyond their absolute best]
                            When the smoke clears, Sydney is still the best . . . and rising (which does not mean she has to run below 51.50 again, Tokyo track staying in Tokyo!)

                            Comment


                            • let me see if I have this right..... McLaughlin sets 2 WRs at age 21 and there's discussion that her reign is about over and/or that she needs to consider changing events because the competition is getting so tough?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gh View Post
                                let me see if I have this right..... McLaughlin sets 2 WRs at age 21 and there's discussion that her reign is about over and/or that she needs to consider changing events because the competition is getting so tough?
                                Completely ridiculous....but considering the sources talking abstract nonsense is par for the course.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X