X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaronk
    replied
    One more thing--
    My comment is about track size, not other changes the sport has made---new shoes, fiberglass poles, new javelin, the make-up of tracks, spin vs glide, straddle vs flop, etc etc etc!
    Those changes (and what they've done to the Record Book) have nothing to do with my argument against OT's, INdoors or Outdoors!

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Agree, in fact
    Zzzzzzzzz
    Zzzzzzzzz

Presumably aaronk wants to be forever stuck in a time warp and the sport should never innovate.

Therefore, aaronk you should cancel all your indoor records unless made on a 160 yard wooden track, cancel all records made on rubberised tracks, go back to bamboo PV, no flop HJ, no spin shot etc etc.

The 5000 is likely to be a fascinating race.
    Let me restate my thoughts on INdoor Oversize Tracks, aka OT's!
    When most INdoor tracks were 220 yards OR LESS, MSG's 160 yarder, or Hamilton, Ontario's 146.7 yarder (Was it the Hamilton track?), I had no problem with tracks being LESS than 220 yards!
    Same now with 200 meter tracks INdoors!
    I believe the legalese for a "legal" size INdoor track is that it not be longer than 201 meters.
    (Why that extra meter??)
    I only had/have a problem with OT's!!

Moving OUTdoors (to Zurich & elsewhere), the rules are "legal" tracks should be 400 meters!
    Or less?
    Remember Snell's 1962 Mile record was set on a 385 yard grass track!
    Odd size, but NOT an OT!!

This Zurich track of 560 meters is an OT, no ifs, ands, or buts!
    Do we really think this "innovation" is good for a sport whose stats are the life breath of its historical exactitude?
    I do not!!

Now you can go back to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• FleetingRedux
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

I'm skeptical of this take considering they already raced together in Hungary, Eugene and Lausanne this year already. They could have easily "dodged" each other as they have consistently done since Elaine Thompson came onto the world scene in 2015.

Before this year, they never ran together except at Trials, Olympics or Worlds. These are the 6 past meets where they both ran the 100m or 200m, but simply ran in different races:

2015 Prefontaine DL
    2015 Zurich DL
    2020 JAAA All Comers Meet
    2020 Velocity Fest 4
    2020 Velocity Fest 6
    2020 Velocity Fest 5
    SAFP seemed pretty sure about participating in the DL final. Why the sudden change? There is something else going on here. I don't think they are dodging each other. I believe they want to be compensated more.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post

Her agent is acting cagey with the information. I believe money is the issue here. We probably won't see them against each other until WC. They are trying to milk the rivalry. I am not sure if I disagree with the approach. The men would have done the same thing.
    I'm skeptical of this take considering they already raced together in Hungary, Eugene and Lausanne this year already. They could have easily "dodged" each other as they have consistently done since Elaine Thompson came onto the world scene in 2015.

Before this year, they never ran together except at Trials, Olympics or Worlds. These are the 6 past meets where they both ran the 100m or 200m, but simply ran in different races:

2015 Prefontaine DL
    2015 Zurich DL
    2020 JAAA All Comers Meet
    2020 Velocity Fest 4
    2020 Velocity Fest 6
    2020 Velocity Fest 5

Leave a comment:

• FleetingRedux
    replied
    Originally posted by hipNrip View Post
    Her agent is acting cagey with the information. I believe money is the issue here. We probably won't see them against each other until WC. They are trying to milk the rivalry. I am not sure if I disagree with the approach. The men would have done the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• Jaguarclaws
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaguarclaws View Post

Jazz ypu are the man!!! Great idea and yes they could win both. However i feel that Benjamin would take LYles spot. I wish the US coaches would use more 200 meter guys on the 4x100 where your start isnt always that important except for the first leg.
    Just as i feel Coleman will take Normans spot and move Bednarek to 3rd and Coleman would be leadoff. Those 6 guys could make the 2 relays excpet for Coleman.

Leave a comment:

• Jaguarclaws
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

While we're on the subject of versatility, I've been wondering if Lyles, Bednarek, Norman and Kerley are capable of winning both the 4x100 and the 4x400 at a global championship. Norman and Kerley are both sub-10/sub-44 guys and I have a hunch that Lyles and Bednarek would run at least low 44 if they decided to run a serious 400 next year, because their PR's are outdated.
    Jazz ypu are the man!!! Great idea and yes they could win both. However i feel that Benjamin would take LYles spot. I wish the US coaches would use more 200 meter guys on the 4x100 where your start isnt always that important except for the first leg.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Natasha Morrison added to the Womens 100m field

Leave a comment:

• hipNrip
    replied
    From The Gleaner

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...d-league-final

Leave a comment:

• hipNrip
    replied
    https://trackalerts.com/shelly-ann-f...rich-dl-final/

“Not in the plans” is the given reason. WTH?

Leave a comment:

• hipNrip
    replied
    Hearing Shelly Ann is definitely out of Zurich but no explanation as to why. Anybody hear the same thing and if so any possible reason as to why?

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    color me slow... i only just noticed that the Wednesday timetable has the 2 shots going off at the same time, and then later same time for 2 long jumps. I don't recall having read anything about formatting: 2 rings/pits? alternate sex?
    "All throws and horizonal jumps finals will see the men’s and women’s contests combined and they will not make use of the final three competition format. Up first is the shot put."

https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...zurich-day-one

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    color me slow... i only just noticed that the Wednesday timetable has the 2 shots going off at the same time, and then later same time for 2 long jumps. I don't recall having read anything about formatting: 2 rings/pits? alternate sex?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

Oh true, even better then since he can get some races in before just essentially hopping into the championships.

He doesn't need a mark since he is defending champion, but technically he does need to compete at USAs, even if it's just one round. But Im sure LaShawn Merritt (2011) can give him tips on skipping USAs after returning from a suspension.
    Merritt didn't "skip" the '11 Nationals; he was still under suspension so wasn't eligible for the meet. USATF waived the normal "must show at Nationals" rule and put him on the team anyway. (as they had done in '03 for Anjanette Kirkland when nationals was too close to her having given birth).

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

that was his original ban: CAS cut it from 2 years to 18 months, so I believe he's eligible again this November.
    Oh true, even better then since he can get some races in before just essentially hopping into the championships.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    And he does NOT need a qual mark - or even run the Final of the USATF 100?
    He doesn't need a mark since he is defending champion, but technically he does need to compete at USAs, even if it's just one round. But Im sure LaShawn Merritt (2011) can give him tips on skipping USAs after returning from a suspension.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X