Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post
    let me see if I have this right..... McLaughlin sets 2 WRs at age 21 and there's discussion that her reign is about over and/or that she needs to consider changing events because the competition is getting so tough?
    In some post she's supposed to move to the long jump, no less . . .

Comment

• I see the making of a great ad campaign developing here. Sort of like the old "Bo Knows" ads a few decades back. Sydney sinking a 70 foot putt. Sydney landing an 8 foot Marlin. Sydney brokering peace in Afghanistan. Could work.......

Comment

• And of course running fast times and winning is a career killer....

There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          And of course running fast times and winning is a career killer....
          There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.
          Missed my point by a mile (1609m). Nice.

Comment

• I am pleased to see that Bol, who was not even mentioned by anyone except a few of us is now considered as a threat to SM. I posted her Olympic results a while back but she had an incredible string of progression in both the hurdles and the relays. 6 races and 3 finals in 8 days (including a one day double hurdle heat and mixed final).

She of course ran each hurdle round faster, but also ran successive relay legs of 49.74, 49.14 and 48.97. I think her upside is very positive, they've built her strength sufficiently and as she is young that speed will improve as will her experience in running the event.

Comment

• Bol doesn't have near the flat speed that McLaughlin has, and I doubt she will ever come close in that department.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                Bol doesn't have near the flat speed that McLaughlin has, and I doubt she will ever come close in that department.
                Ok coach

Comment

• Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

Ok coach
                  Can you prove otherwise? I thought not.

Comment

Bol doesn't have near the flat speed that McLaughlin has, and I doubt she will ever come close in that department.
                    Well, over 400m flat they are pretty close. Not over 100/200, but that's not their events.

Whilst relay legs can do funny things with an athletes mind, as far as I can tell, the fastest McLaughlin has ever run the distance of 400m is her 48.8 relay leg from Doha. Bol has run 48.9 - starting from out in lane 5 no doubt - so there is evidence that in the right circumstances both women can run extremely fast and the times are pretty equal.

And for more of the 'proof' you ask for:

SM has a PB of 50.07/50.36i
                    Bol has a PB of 50.37/50.63i

That doesn't shout "not near the flat speed" to me, that shouts reasonably close.

And for SBs:
                    SM 51.16 and a relay leg (1) of 50.2
                    Bol 50.37 and relay legs of 49.74 (2), 49.14 (4) and 48.97 (4)

If anyone can show me the evidence that McLaughlin is way faster over 400m flat, as opposed to hunches, I'd be eager to see it.
                    Last edited by Wiederganger; 09-15-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                      let me see if I have this right..... McLaughlin sets 2 WRs at age 21 and there's discussion that her reign is about over and/or that she needs to consider changing events because the competition is getting so tough?
                      Where did anyone say that? Did anyone read the posts properly before (smart-ass) replies? We are not saying her reign is over - though some of us believe Bol can challenge her - and we are not saying she needs to change events. We are saying that we would not be surprised if she retired early or changed events at some point. (and we would actually love to see her try other events)

For me, that IG video was very telling, and the fact that she hung her spikes up for the season after Tokyo tells me she is mentally and emotionally drained. For her as Olympic Champion to have no races after the Games, when there are so many meets to earn $ (including one big one in her own country), to give something back to the fans, to have fun, it tells me there is something wrong. And the IG contributed to that. If she is needing time out already, I don't see her running and dominating the next decade as some suggest. I say she bows out way before then, at 400mh at least. And yes, a bold statement, but so was her public IG meltdown.

Comment

Warholm doesn't have near the flat speed that Benjamin has, but 45.94 happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Warholm doesn't have near the flat speed that Benjamin has, but 45.94 happened.
                          Warholm - 44.87/45.05i
                          Benjamin - 44.31/45.39i

Serious question, how is close defined in this discussion? Bol is closer to McLaughlin's PB than Warholm is to Benjamin, but is 3 tenths in a 400m close?

In the Tokyo Mens 400m, Zambrano and James were only 0.23 and 0.34 respectively behind Gardiner, but I didnt see many saying is was a close race for Gold.
                          Last edited by ATK; 09-15-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I guess "close" is a subjective word but there's not that big a difference between 50.07 and 50.37 IMO.

Comment

• I think they are talking about 100/200 speed folks. I saw Syd personally run 11.04 in Knoxville for UK. I doubt seriously Bol has that speed. I know Benjamin is a 20.00 200 guy and has run like 10.1 I believe. That is the speed some are talking about. However flat speed is great and all but Warholm has tremendous anaerobic threshold as does Bol , so I don’t know why this is a debate. Until Bol beats Syd or Benjamin beats Warholm it’s all a mute point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguarclaws View Post
                                I think they are talking about 100/200 speed folks. I saw Syd personally run 11.04 in Knoxville for UK. I doubt seriously Bol has that speed. I know Benjamin is a 20.00 200 guy and has run like 10.1 I believe. That is the speed some are talking about. However flat speed is great and all but Warholm has tremendous anaerobic threshold as does Bol , so I don’t know why this is a debate. Until Bol beats Syd or Benjamin beats Warholm it’s all a mute point.
                                It wasn't a debate until one guy decided to make a couple of contentious posts. All I did was post about Bol's future and he either didn't read very well (which Wiederganger correctly pointed out about some posters) or he's an SM fanboy and was somehow offended. It was never mentioned about Bol vs SM flat speed. I invite anyone to read the post and you'll see it was about Bol's potential to increase her speed as her strength is no doubt sufficient based on the Olympic schedule and results she ran.

I think any coach with a young athlete will build strength and endurance first, then concentrate on the speed aspect. At 21, there should be little question that Bol can get faster; I mean, 21 is a college senior in the states...an athlete can certainly improve their speed after that age, if they can't what would be the point in moving up to the next level?

Comment

Working...
                                X