• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conor Dary
    • Oct 2005
    • Under the Tower

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    There are no more Edwin Moseses. He was a machine.
    Comparing Karsten or Rai or Sydney or Dalilah or Femke to him is a non-starter.
    When any of them get to a win streak over 100, call me.
    There are already cracks in SL's psyche (no judgment!). As a fan, I want her to run the decade out - as a person. I just want her to be happy.

P.S. And yes, MANY of us want to see Crouser throw the Discus!!
    But it was so suppose to be so hard! Says our 'expert'...

Comment

• Atticus
      • Jul 2014
      • on task

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      But it was so suppose to be so hard! Says our 'expert'...
      Which is exactly why Moses is incomparable.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
        • Oct 2005

As we noted in multiple threads about shoes and tracks, there are confounding variables at play here.
        What do shoes and tracks have to do with his lack of rivals?

Comment

• ATK
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

What do shoes and tracks have to do with his lack of rivals?
          The shoes and tracks comment may be in reference to your note on the improvement of WR by multiple athletes within the past year

Comment

• Atticus
            • Jul 2014
            • on task

Originally posted by ATK View Post
            The shoes and tracks comment may be in reference to your note on the improvement of WR by multiple athletes within the past year
            'Twas.
            I am not convinced that putting KW and RB on the Koblenz track in 1983 would have changed who won.

Comment

• Tuariki
              • Dec 2010
              • Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

And of course running fast times and winning is a career killer....

There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.
              Crouser is really screwed then

Comment

• Conor Dary
                • Oct 2005
                • Under the Tower

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Just retire and get it over with.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
                  • Oct 2005

'Twas.
                  I am not convinced that putting KW and RB on the Koblenz track in 1983 would have changed who won.
                  Did Moses have anyone to push him the way the current hurdlers push each other? The US is the world's greatest 400 nation and we're using 400 hurdlers on our relays these days, Bol is the Netherlands' best quartermiler and Warholm is Norwat's best.
                  Last edited by jazzcyclist; 09-15-2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• DrJay
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Colorado Springs

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Yeah, but can you imagine his 800 time in the new shoes?

Comment

• TN1965
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Did Moses have anyone to push him the way the current hurdlers push each other?
                      This depends on whether Harald Schmid was a close rival or a perennial bridesmaid. Only Moses can answer that question.

Comment

• Conor Dary
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Under the Tower

Did Moses have anyone to push him the way the current hurdlers push each other?

Some....but wouldn't the theory here then be that since Moses was the all powerful Oz in the 400h ....the pressure would have been overwhelming.... amazing Moses didn't spontaneously explode mid race.

Comment

• TN1965
                          • Aug 2009

"I would wake up at the morning, and in California we’re about nine hours ahead of Germany. I’d say to myself, ‘Harald has probably finished his workout by now, I need to get busy!’ Guys like him were my motivation."

Barcelona Press Points: Ed Moses, Kevin Young and Harald Schmidt | NEWS | World Athletics

Comment

• Atticus
                            • Jul 2014
                            • on task

Some....but wouldn't the theory here then be that since Moses was the all powerful Oz in the 400h ....the pressure would have been overwhelming.... amazing Moses didn't spontaneously explode mid race.
                            Theory? Theory?! We don't need no stinkin' theory - we have facts that he was all that (and a bag of chips).
                            He ate pressure on his cereal for breakfast!

Know thy history!

Comment

• IloveFelix
                              • Aug 2015
                              • Bergen, Norway

I think Karsten Warholm has beaten Rai Benjamin the 4 times they have raced. Warholm is undefeated over the hurdles for more than 3 years. He beat Rai Benjamin by about 2 meters in Tokyo.

After Warholm's 2017 London gold, I read a lot of somewhat similar comments that I now read about Bol. Warholm has a lack of speed, he would not have a snowballs chance in h... if K. Clement had been at the top of his game. Really a lot of people completely disregarded the atrocious conditions the night of the final and did not give Warholm much credit or prospects of development.

Sydney McLaughlin has beaten Femke Bol the one time they have raced? McLaughlin beat Bol by about twice the distance Warholm won by.

Femke Bol is clearly the least experienced athlete of these four over hurdles, which should leave her a lot to work on and a fair bit of room for improvement.

McLaughlin has lived with extreme pressure as a young adult, for years. I commend her for releasing the IG-video. It would be awesome if more stars dared to let their guard down in such a way, many people need to see and understand that life can be hard for anyone. Honestly I am a huge fan of Sydney, I think she is awesome!

Still the video makes me think that it maybe can be hard for Sydney McLaughlin to keep developing or even maintain her current level. I wont be shocked if she keeps getting better as she is young, but the video makes me less inclined to think so.

Now I see Femke Bol faced with somewhat similar comments as the once that faced Warholm late 2017. For me it is obvious that most 21 year olds can develop their speed by a lot. Bol clearly has room for improvement in her hurdling technique. Some of her relay legs in Tokyo shows that she definitely can move without the hurdles too, over the relevant distance.

I have understood that a lot of people find it impossible that Bol will beat McLaughlin next year, what I cannot understand is why.

Why is it relevant that McLaughlin has better speed over 100-200, gm?

Benjamin extremely likely has better speed than Warholm over those distances, still Warholm starts the 400 hurdles faster than Benjamin... The race is 400 not 100 or 200 and the way the athletes decides to run it is not only decided by their "flat speed".

For me it is obvious that Benjamin has a clear chance of beating Warholm next year. I think dos Santos/McMaster have chances too, even as they seem to be further behind Warholm ATM than Bol is behind McLaughlin. I suspect dos Santos lacks flat speed, but as he is born the same year as Bol, I do not put it at all past him to improve it substantially....

Why is it that you people think Bol has no chance of beating McLaughlin? I can see the statement being made several times, but I cannot see it being back by much at all.

Comment

• TN1965
                                • Aug 2009

In the same interviews above, Moses also said this.

"I think athletes are afraid to lose; they think they’re going to lose marketing value when they lose. But at the same time the fans want to see the athletes. They don’t care if you win all the time."

Yeah, it's easy for you to say that because you actually won all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X