Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that you people think Bol has no chance of beating McLaughlin? I can see the statement being made several times, but I cannot see it being back by much at all.

Anyone has a chance to beat Sydney....she might get lost....loses her bearings and thinks she should be at the long jump and heads over there. These things happen...

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      Why is it that you people think Bol has no chance of beating McLaughlin? I can see the statement being made several times, but I cannot see it being back by much at all.

Anyone has a chance to beat Sydney....she might get lost....loses her bearings and thinks she should be at the long jump and heads over there. These things happen...
      Very funny. Still I would be happy to learn the logic behind statements like; Bol wont ever beat a healthy McLaughlin in a final. If you see the logic, Conor Dary, it would be great if you reply.

Comment

• Too many ifs.

If SM stays highly motivated.
        If SM just sticks to the 4H.
        If SM stays healthy.

Then . . . I don't see ANYone beating her for some time.

Comment

• Understood Atticus, for me though all things considered it seems more likely that Bol stays highly motivated than McLaughlin.

I suspect and hope that both will stick with the 400 hurdles a fair while longer.

I hope all the athletes stay healthy.

Even so I fail to grasp why you cannot see ANYone beating McLaughlin for a while? McLaughlin has run faster than Bol did in the Tokyo final a grand total of two times? The Tokyo final was not the perfect race for Bol. 21 year olds can for sure develop, especially the ones who have run over hurdles no more than 2 years, and on known form Bol is for sure behind, but not all that far behind McLaughlin.

Like I already have made clear I have no problem seeing Benjamin (and/or others) beating Warholm. Do you have a problem seeing that? If not, what is so different regarding McLaughlin?

I am not asking if you can or cannot see anyone beating a healthy and motivated McLaughlin. I am asking why you (not only Atticus) cannot.
          Last edited by IloveFelix; 09-15-2021, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Particularly in the hurdles, I think it's easier to understand a top athlete losing because of the requirement to jump over something efficiently. One graze and you may be done. However, we've had these long streaks with Moses and Warholm which belie those thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by IloveFelix View Post
              A. all things considered it seems more likely that Bol stays highly motivated than McLaughlin.
              B. Even so I fail to grasp why you cannot see ANYone beating McLaughlin for a while?
              C. Like I already have made clear I have no problem seeing Benjamin (and/or others) beating Warholm. Do you have a problem seeing that? If not, what is so different regarding McLaughlin?
              D. I am asking why you (not only Atticus) cannot [see SM beaten].
              A. Maybe, but in IMO whether or not Bol is motivated is irrelevant to what SM does.
              B. See D.
              C. I could see that, in a one-off situation.
              D. I see SM as a 'generational athlete', like Mondo. But unlike Mondo's event, which even the GOAT, Bubka, could not stay undefeated, the 400H, as Moses demonstrated, and despite the fact that there are HURDLES in it, is an event that a great athlete can dominate.

I may be wrong in this analysis, but I'm sticking to it till I see otherwise. I wish DM and FB all the best!

Comment

• Here is a depiction of something I mentioned the other day, that to threaten McLaughlin in forthcoming years Bol needs to improve her hurdling technique and take more risks, with lower clearance on the front foot. Right now Bol launches while McLaughlin skims. Sydney is more balanced with both legs nearer the same level while Bol concedes that her lead left leg gets too high simultaneous with her trailing right leg too low. It is kind of like downhill skiing in which air time over a hill looks spectacular but is costing you time.

This is Bol from yesterday's race in Bellinzona:

https://imgur.com/a/gADyzBT

This is Sydney from the Olympic trials:

https://imgur.com/a/0zKTFOK

Not the identical camera angle but as close as I could find, using recent races and the same point of clearance using the same lead leg. Bol right now looks similar to Sydney three years ago at Kentucky, when her clearance was also too high but I'd say slightly lower than current Bol. And Bol herself is noticeably lower and better than one year ago.

Sydney has used sprint hurdling to flatten out her technique to the point it's like a hybrid of the two events. She is really getting her foot on the ground quickly especially toward the end of the race. The other day I read an account of the Tokyo race from a hurdles expert. He said Muhammad had that race won other than Sydney ran the last three hurdles far superior than she'd ever done before.

BTW, I hope I can use that upload site here. Strictly convenience for me.
                Last edited by Awsi Dooger; 09-15-2021, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• IloveFelix

My response was to JMysterio's comment about Bol -- "I think her upside is very positive, they've built her strength sufficiently and as she is young that speed will improve as will her experience in running the event."

I simply replied that McLaughlin's flat speed was greater than Bol and I doubted Bol would ever be faster in that way.

I should have spelled it out, I suppose, that "flat speed" to me means the 100/200.

Nowhere have I said that Bol can't beat McLaughlin in the 400H. It could happen. It likely WILL happen at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                    [USER="30145"]1. Nowhere have I said that Bol can't beat McLaughlin in the 400H. It could happen. It likely WILL happen at some point.
                    And just to be clear, I agree that it could and may happen, if my previous 'ifs' are not met.
                    If everyone is fully fit and invested in the outcome, I (me, myself) see SM winning for some time to come.

Comment

IloveFelix

and as she is young that speed will improve as will her experience in running the event."
                      And Sydney is not young

Comment

Nowhere have I said that Bol can't beat McLaughlin in the 400H. It could happen. It likely WILL happen at some point.
                        It may depend on how often they race each other in the coming years. If they only race once a year like in 2021, it may not happen. If they race multiple times a year, it is likely to happen at some point. After all, even Moses lost to Schmid..

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                          It may depend on how often they race each other in the coming years. If they only race once a year like in 2021, it may not happen. If they race multiple times a year, it is likely to happen at some point. After all, even Moses lost to Schmid..
                          Seems to me McLaughlin has thus far eschewed the tour of Europe. No way of knowing if that will continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Seems to me McLaughlin has thus far eschewed the tour of Europe. No way of knowing if that will continue.
                            why would McLaughlin or Vashti Cunningham not compete in Europe?

Comment

• Until we see McLaughlin and Bol hurdling with the quickness and efficiency Muhammad does, both will have tons to improve upon for the next 5+ years.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

She raced multiple times in Europe in 2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X