X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiederganger
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    Bol doesn't have near the flat speed that McLaughlin has, and I doubt she will ever come close in that department.
    Well, over 400m flat they are pretty close. Not over 100/200, but that's not their events.

Whilst relay legs can do funny things with an athletes mind, as far as I can tell, the fastest McLaughlin has ever run the distance of 400m is her 48.8 relay leg from Doha. Bol has run 48.9 - starting from out in lane 5 no doubt - so there is evidence that in the right circumstances both women can run extremely fast and the times are pretty equal.

And for more of the 'proof' you ask for:

SM has a PB of 50.07/50.36i
    Bol has a PB of 50.37/50.63i

That doesn't shout "not near the flat speed" to me, that shouts reasonably close.

And for SBs:
    SM 51.16 and a relay leg (1) of 50.2
    Bol 50.37 and relay legs of 49.74 (2), 49.14 (4) and 48.97 (4)

If anyone can show me the evidence that McLaughlin is way faster over 400m flat, as opposed to hunches, I'd be eager to see it.
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 09-15-2021, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

Ok coach
    Can you prove otherwise? I thought not.

Leave a comment:

• JMysterio
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    Bol doesn't have near the flat speed that McLaughlin has, and I doubt she will ever come close in that department.
    Ok coach

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JMysterio
    replied
    I am pleased to see that Bol, who was not even mentioned by anyone except a few of us is now considered as a threat to SM. I posted her Olympic results a while back but she had an incredible string of progression in both the hurdles and the relays. 6 races and 3 finals in 8 days (including a one day double hurdle heat and mixed final).

She of course ran each hurdle round faster, but also ran successive relay legs of 49.74, 49.14 and 48.97. I think her upside is very positive, they've built her strength sufficiently and as she is young that speed will improve as will her experience in running the event.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    And of course running fast times and winning is a career killer....
    There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.
    Missed my point by a mile (1609m). Nice.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    And of course running fast times and winning is a career killer....

There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    I see the making of a great ad campaign developing here. Sort of like the old "Bo Knows" ads a few decades back. Sydney sinking a 70 foot putt. Sydney landing an 8 foot Marlin. Sydney brokering peace in Afghanistan. Could work.......

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    let me see if I have this right..... McLaughlin sets 2 WRs at age 21 and there's discussion that her reign is about over and/or that she needs to consider changing events because the competition is getting so tough?
    In some post she's supposed to move to the long jump, no less . . .

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    let me see if I have this right..... McLaughlin sets 2 WRs at age 21 and there's discussion that her reign is about over and/or that she needs to consider changing events because the competition is getting so tough?
    Completely ridiculous....but considering the sources talking abstract nonsense is par for the course.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
    but if you mean the 400mh as low hanging fruit, this bit I don't. The calibre of Muhammad and Bol, and the races in the last 2 major championships, have meant Syd has to be at the absolute top of her game,
    So, if Sydney has to be "at the absolute top of her game" to win, where do Muhammad and Bol have to be to win? [hint - somewhere well beyond their absolute best]
    When the smoke clears, Sydney is still the best . . . and rising (which does not mean she has to run below 51.50 again, Tokyo track staying in Tokyo!)

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    but what event will SMU do next year, she may do the 200 only.
    There's part of me that suspects SMU may take 2022 to get her first 400m World title then switch events after. Remember some of the factors that led to her doubling in Tokyo when she was originally only leaning towards the 200m: Naser banned, Mboma and Masilingi unable to run. Those things hold true in Eugene next year.

Also though, I agree that McLaughlin (or even Mu) probably cant beat SMU in current form. 48.36 from blocks, at the end of a 200/400 double, while apparently banged up is no joke. Mu could only match that on a full out relay split, let alone from blocks.

Leave a comment:

• Wiederganger
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Indeed. There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.
    I'd love to see her explore the 100H or the 200/400 in 2022,
    I agree with this ^

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    despite the low-hanging fruit in Eugene.
    but if you mean the 400mh as low hanging fruit, this bit I don't.

The calibre of Muhammad and Bol, and the races in the last 2 major championships, have meant Syd has to be at the absolute top of her game, the best ever, and even then, might not win (2019) or only win by a fairly small margin (2021).

The flat 400m would be intriguing for me, because Syd has sub 49 potential, on paper, based off her 400mh, 4x4 splits and short sprint times. Is this enough to topple an in-form SMU? Probably not, but what event will SMU do next year, she may do the 200 only.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    I would not be surprised by this - or even retirement after Paris 2024, after seeing her breakdown video on IG.
    Indeed. There are two factors now working against Sydney: a too-good time in her main event and the pressures of being at the top.
    I'd love to see her explore the 100H or the 200/400 in 2022, despite the low-hanging fruit in Eugene.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X