• Show
Clear All

From The Gleaner

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...d-league-final

Comment

Natasha Morrison added to the Womens 100m field

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

While we're on the subject of versatility, I've been wondering if Lyles, Bednarek, Norman and Kerley are capable of winning both the 4x100 and the 4x400 at a global championship. Norman and Kerley are both sub-10/sub-44 guys and I have a hunch that Lyles and Bednarek would run at least low 44 if they decided to run a serious 400 next year, because their PR's are outdated.
        Jazz ypu are the man!!! Great idea and yes they could win both. However i feel that Benjamin would take LYles spot. I wish the US coaches would use more 200 meter guys on the 4x100 where your start isnt always that important except for the first leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguarclaws View Post

Jazz ypu are the man!!! Great idea and yes they could win both. However i feel that Benjamin would take LYles spot. I wish the US coaches would use more 200 meter guys on the 4x100 where your start isnt always that important except for the first leg.
          Just as i feel Coleman will take Normans spot and move Bednarek to 3rd and Coleman would be leadoff. Those 6 guys could make the 2 relays excpet for Coleman.

Comment

Originally posted by hipNrip View Post
            Her agent is acting cagey with the information. I believe money is the issue here. We probably won't see them against each other until WC. They are trying to milk the rivalry. I am not sure if I disagree with the approach. The men would have done the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by FleetingRedux View Post

Her agent is acting cagey with the information. I believe money is the issue here. We probably won't see them against each other until WC. They are trying to milk the rivalry. I am not sure if I disagree with the approach. The men would have done the same thing.
              I'm skeptical of this take considering they already raced together in Hungary, Eugene and Lausanne this year already. They could have easily "dodged" each other as they have consistently done since Elaine Thompson came onto the world scene in 2015.

Before this year, they never ran together except at Trials, Olympics or Worlds. These are the 6 past meets where they both ran the 100m or 200m, but simply ran in different races:

2015 Prefontaine DL
              2015 Zurich DL
              2020 JAAA All Comers Meet
              2020 Velocity Fest 4
              2020 Velocity Fest 6
              2020 Velocity Fest 5

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

I'm skeptical of this take considering they already raced together in Hungary, Eugene and Lausanne this year already. They could have easily "dodged" each other as they have consistently done since Elaine Thompson came onto the world scene in 2015.

Before this year, they never ran together except at Trials, Olympics or Worlds. These are the 6 past meets where they both ran the 100m or 200m, but simply ran in different races:

2015 Prefontaine DL
                2015 Zurich DL
                2020 JAAA All Comers Meet
                2020 Velocity Fest 4
                2020 Velocity Fest 6
                2020 Velocity Fest 5
                SAFP seemed pretty sure about participating in the DL final. Why the sudden change? There is something else going on here. I don't think they are dodging each other. I believe they want to be compensated more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Agree, in fact
                  Zzzzzzzzz
                  Zzzzzzzzz

Presumably aaronk wants to be forever stuck in a time warp and the sport should never innovate.

Therefore, aaronk you should cancel all your indoor records unless made on a 160 yard wooden track, cancel all records made on rubberised tracks, go back to bamboo PV, no flop HJ, no spin shot etc etc.

The 5000 is likely to be a fascinating race.
                  Let me restate my thoughts on INdoor Oversize Tracks, aka OT's!
                  When most INdoor tracks were 220 yards OR LESS, MSG's 160 yarder, or Hamilton, Ontario's 146.7 yarder (Was it the Hamilton track?), I had no problem with tracks being LESS than 220 yards!
                  Same now with 200 meter tracks INdoors!
                  I believe the legalese for a "legal" size INdoor track is that it not be longer than 201 meters.
                  (Why that extra meter??)
                  I only had/have a problem with OT's!!

Moving OUTdoors (to Zurich & elsewhere), the rules are "legal" tracks should be 400 meters!
                  Or less?
                  Remember Snell's 1962 Mile record was set on a 385 yard grass track!
                  Odd size, but NOT an OT!!

This Zurich track of 560 meters is an OT, no ifs, ands, or buts!
                  Do we really think this "innovation" is good for a sport whose stats are the life breath of its historical exactitude?
                  I do not!!

Now you can go back to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
                  LOL

Comment

One more thing--
                    My comment is about track size, not other changes the sport has made---new shoes, fiberglass poles, new javelin, the make-up of tracks, spin vs glide, straddle vs flop, etc etc etc!
                    Those changes (and what they've done to the Record Book) have nothing to do with my argument against OT's, INdoors or Outdoors!

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                      220 yards... 160 yarder... 146.7 yarder
                      385 yard
                      Not too odd. 8 laps to the mile, 11 laps, 12 laps! My high school's indoor track was 167.619 yards, 10.5 laps per mile.
                      385 yards isn't too odd, either. 7/32 of a mile. Another 55 yards makes it a right proper 440 yards, 4 laps to the mile.

If I caught the number right on the press conference, they actually got around to measuring the street track, and it's 563m.
                      8.881 laps per 5k, or 67m short of 9 laps. I wonder where they'll put the start and finish lines!

Thinking about it more, 563m is very close to 562.5m, or 9 * 62.5m. 16 62.5m segments per kilometer, and 80 total segments for 5k. 8 8/9 laps. It's too bad metric users don't like fractions.
                      Last edited by Rack; 09-08-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• How are they going to treat the 5000 in the world rankings, given that the track is oversize, so the times are not eligible for official recognition?
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• aaronk mentions 201 meters ok for indoor tracks... that's because of some old 220 yard ones ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
                            How are they going to treat the 5000 in the world rankings, given that the track is oversize, so the times are not eligible for official recognition?
                            I imagine this 5000 will be considered a 'road race', but with hundredths timing?
                            Even I, as a stat-nerd, have zero problem with a 5000 run on this track (a rare rarity) to be thrown in with 400m track times on lists. It would not, obviously, qualify as a record.

Comment

• We've got wSP feed and results going, nada yet on men.
                              Ewen out to a nice 63-8 (19.41).
                              . . .
                              Now men started. So it's a round of W, then a round of M.
                              Last edited by Atticus; 09-08-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• you can hear the shots landing with a bang on the elevated platform they're using

Comment

Working...
                                X