Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we rate Felix’ comeback to the international stage?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we rate Felix’ comeback to the international stage?

So 2020 was intended to be golden girl Allyson Felix’s much heralded comeback post motherhood to the international stage. Bobby kersee actually predicted PB’s at both 200/400 last year before covid cancelled the season.

finally it happened in 2021. It wasn’t the Felix schedule of old, racing all over Europe in the diamond league. As she’s gotten older that schedule has been managed much tighter, totally understandable considering she has been a full time pro for nearly 20 years now.

she ran 22.11 and 49.46 which as seasons best times is pretty damn impressive.

her fight in both the US trials to make the 400m team and then her fight down the home stretch to secure Olympic bronze demonstrated that the heart of a champion doesn’t go away due to age.

And another 4x400m relay gold to boot.

All in all she can hold her head up high. I think anything less than a medal in the 400m would have been a disappointment for her. Anything more than a bronze would have been more than she could have hoped for given SMU and Paulino’s form.

all in all, she delivered exactly what she was capable of, and peaked for 2 races - the 2 most important ones. The 22.11 was a nice little bonus and reminder that she is still one of the 200m GOATS.

I think in 2022 we can expect more of the same barring injury. She will racing sparingly, and peak to make the team. Then go all out for one last medal in Eugene at 400m and a relay gold.

she will run 49.3/49.4 all going well, maybe even faster given Eugene conditions. What she comes away with probably depends on others form.

I take my hat off to her. She’s no superhuman dominant force in the vein of some champions of the past (or present).

but she has demonstrated the benefits of consistent hard work, fighting and professionalism - it wins medals and respect.

here’s to Eugene 2022

Given her age and the birth of her first child, I rate her comeback "very successful." Felix has achieved her greatness without being dominant in any one event. Her legendary status is assured.

Comment

This year was a huge success. She got an individual bronze medal in a time faster than all but a single race during her entire career. And I suspect most would have said the olympic delay would have been a negative considering time and her getting older. And considering the career she had and all her achievements, her excitement after winning bronze (and her actually saying it in interviews and online) shows that this was a successful final Olympics.

Comment

I have to say I was impressed by how she held her form and fought her way to a bronze medal, while others of equal or perhaps more potential faltered in the Olympic final. Yeah, at her age she was never going to beat Shaunea or Paulino, but she showed the rest of the youngsters how it is done.

Comment

Class act and great ambassador for the sport. I'm hoping her training mate, Sydney McLaughlin, will carry her torch for this decade.

Comment

She certainly exceeded my expectations and timed her season to perfection. There was no reason to expect her to medal in the 400m, given the form of her competitors, yet she dug deep and found a way onto the podium for a fifth consecutive Olympic Games.

I'd grade her comeback as an A-. I'm only tacking on the minus because out of greed it would have been nice to have seen her run sub-22 in that insane Eugene 200m final and she missed it by a little more than a tenth of a second. Also, her post-Tokyo performances have been lacklustre. Overall, though, all things considered, this was one of her finest seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
              This year was a huge success. She got an individual bronze medal in a time faster than all but a single race during her entire career. And I suspect most would have said the olympic delay would have been a negative considering time and her getting older.
              The delay helped her more than it hurt, by giving her more time to rebuild her fitness post-partum.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

The delay helped her more than it hurt, by giving her more time to rebuild her fitness post-partum.
                I agree. I don't want to change the direction of this thread, but I think the delay helped some and hurt others.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

I agree with you, though overall I think there were mixed opinions last year considering multiple factors, including thinking the state of the women's 400m. While Felix was able to step it up, the remainder of the US 400m women didnt really impress as might have been predicted coming off the previous few years. You can argue most of the top US 400m runners this year were not even 400m runners (Felix, Hayes, Mu, McLaughlin, Muhammad and Little)

Comment

Originally posted by AFelixFan View Post
                    She certainly exceeded my expectations and timed her season to perfection. There was no reason to expect her to medal in the 400m, given the form of her competitors, yet she dug deep and found a way onto the podium for a fifth consecutive Olympic Games.
                    I agree. Prior to this season, I had written her off completely for a medal in 2021. But when she ran 22.59 indoors, Fayetteville or not, I thought "okaaay, she is gonna be running 22.3 outdoors soon" and that means anywhere between 49.6 and 50.2 for her 400.

Still, when I saw she was doing both the 200 & 400 at the Trials, I thought she was going to be run out of both events. The 200m placing made sense to me, but the 400m just demonstrated what a champion mentality she has.

Then the 400m SF's in Tokyo made me think she would finish around 5th or 6th in the final. But with a bit of luck - McPherson's untimely injury/strain in the final - and a lot of grit, she exceeded most objective fan's expectations. A 49.46 was not on the cards, but I think it showed how her mental game, and confidence in her ability, can be as big a factor as just talent alone.

Am I going to write her off again for the 2022 season? If she does decide to retire after next season, then I'm going to do it again, yes. 😀 Mainly because of age, that extra year, and the assumption that the US quartermilers aren't going to underperform again at the Trials. But even if she doesn't get top 3, she will no doubt be in one of the 4x4s.

Comment

I definitely did not have Allyson making the team in either the 200m or 400m. Thought the 400m she had a better chance and that she did. To pull off an Olympic bronze medal running her 2nd best time and a relay gold exceeded my expectations. I'd say overall she had a great season on and off the track. She impressed me so much I feel like as long as she's healthy and mentally all in she should properly retire next season at the World Championships, running at least the relay and maybe the individual 400m.

Comment

Given all the trials and tribulations she went through to get to Tokyo, one could almost argue that 2021 was her greatest year ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X