Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sprinters you'd like to see explore seriously the 400m?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AS View Post
    As I wrote my question, I did ponder whether it's more common on the female side (historically we saw it too with both Betty Cuthbert and Raelene Boyle). Still struggling for male examples though?
    I've just looked at the UK all-time lists and, of the 17 to have run under 45, I think only Solomon Wariso had not run a serious 400m before he turned 20.

Comment

De Grasse. He has the discipline and experience, also has had more than his fair share of short sprint injuries which often provide the motivation to move up (Watts was an example). His fast but relaxed finishes at 200 suggest that he has the tools.

Comment

Mboma.

Comment

Originally posted by highjumpfan View Post
          Mboma.
          That's not possible....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

That's not possible....
            Is possible in men's races.

Most young men who ran 48.5x by age 18 spent more years of hard training to get there than Mboma did.

Mboma's 48.54 equals the #1 among U20 Namibian men in 2021, and ties with #4 among Namibian men of all ages.
            Last edited by 18.99s; 09-04-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Is possible in men's races.

Most young men who ran 48.5x by age 18 spent more years of hard training to get there than Mboma did.

Mboma's 48.54 equals the #1 among U20 Namibian men in 2021, and ties with #4 among Namibian men of all ages.
              I don't think you got the point....unless you are thinking of Mboma in a men's race...
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-04-2021, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley View Post
                De Grasse. He has the discipline and experience, also has had more than his fair share of short sprint injuries which often provide the motivation to move up (Watts was an example). His fast but relaxed finishes at 200 suggest that he has the tools.
                I agree i think De Grasse would do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguarclaws View Post

I agree i think De Grasse would do well.
                  Earlier this year at the Tom Jones memorial, De Grasse ran 2nd leg on the Tumbleweed TC 4x4 and split around 47.00 (approximate hand time from video)

At that same meet he ran 9.99 in the 100m

Comment

I don't think you got the point....unless you are thinking of Mboma in a men's race...
                    Yes, I meant Mboma could run in men's 400m races, where the DSD restrictions don't apply.

Comment

i don’t think you get the point. Her success at 200m points out how arbitrary and shortsighted the decision by CAS was to ban DS athletes from only the 400-1500.

Comment

Originally posted by highjumpfan View Post

i don’t think you get the point. Her success at 200m points out how arbitrary and shortsighted the decision by CAS was to ban DS athletes from only the 400-1500.
                        The point is, the crazy nut job point is, that Mboma doesn't qualify as a female for the 400m but does for the 200m.

Comment

A thread and short video from Sport scientist Ross Tucker who knows alot about this topic...

Why can DSD athletes run the 200m but not the 400m? This is the DSD paradox, and it has its origins in the historical legal & scientific evolution of the policy. Here’s a short video, part of a longer exclusive for our Patrons, explaining how we got here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scienceof...55122730233860

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                            Mboma doesn't qualify as a female for the 400m but does for the 200m.
                            Nice succinct way to put it.

"So, let me see if I have this right . . . somewhere around 300m, she turns into a female? That's what you're saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Nice succinct way to put it.

"So, let me see if I have this right . . . somewhere around 300m, she turns into a female? That's what you're saying?"
                              Back to front Atticus. Starts transitioning at the 300m mark and by 400m the transitioning is complete. No longer a female.

I liken it to the Bruce Banner / Incredible Hulk syndrome.

Its those gamma rays coming around the final bend that does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                                Back to front Atticus. Starts transitioning at the 300m mark and by 400m the transitioning is complete. No longer a female.
                                Indeed - my bad!

The mystical metaphysics (in both a linguistically morphological sense and a literal one - the changing of one's physiology) has me so bamboozled!

Somewhere between a half lap and a whole lap, her second X chromosome is transmogrified into a Y chromosome, making her no longer a female!

Comment

Working...
                                X