Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change the order of track events

One thing that's bothered me since I was a trackster in the 80's. The order of events. Specifically, the Steeple being first and the 1500 being next. Why? Those two were my events and doubling is impossible. For crying out loud they split the 100 and 200 and even 400 so that some sprinters can run those events in one meet, but come on, lets be real, running the 100 now you can still run a good 200 with 20 minutes rest between. But running a steeple then running a 1500 should have about an hour split at least.

I know all the arguments about specializing, but I'm talking collegiate dual meets (like you'd do in HS). Not fair to the distance runner.

I've got a few 200m medals/ribbons from the high school days thanks to the race often being diluted from the close time proximity to the 4x400 relay at the end of most meets. Similarly, distance stars sometimes had to choose between 3200 and helping a 4x800 at the start of meets. Tough to make things perfect for doubling, but yeah, I suppose you could consider the 1500 and steeple similar events. I don't think steeple guys frequently doubled on my college team (unless you counted distance 4x400s at the end of the meet).

Comment

College dual meets? I remember those....

Considering your other post on a T&FN article from 34 years ago....did you just wake up from a long sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        College dual meets? I remember those....

Considering your other post on a T&FN article from 34 years ago....did you just wake up from a long sleep?
        Ah yes Conor, dual meets
        those were the days my friend

https://youtu.be/y3KEhWTnWvE

Comment

For the few teams that still contest outdoor dual meets, is the order of events mandated by the NCAA, NAIA or JUCO folks? Could a host school offer their own order of events? If so, perhaps you can make your case there.

Comment

As a high school freshman, I tried to long jump after the 800 with only the 200 in between. It was tough. We had three 20-foot jumpers in the class ahead of me and so I gave up the long jump as soon as I became a sophomore, and focused on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
              As a high school freshman, I tried to long jump after the 800 with only the 200 in between. It was tough. We had three 20-foot jumpers in the class ahead of me and so I gave up the long jump as soon as I became a sophomore, and focused on the track.
              I don't remember ever working an 800m/LJ doubler and it is a rare athlete who can jump well immediately after running a 400m.

My lone exception occurred at the 92 Trials in New Orleans. Iowa had a man in the 400 m ( ?Anthony?) during the LJ finals. The 400 start/finish was at the NE corner of the track. The LJ was southbound on the west side of the track. His name was called for an LJ attempt just as the runners passed the LJ flight coordinator at about 110m. He continued to run a 45.x 400 and without pausing, ran back across the track infield to the head of the runway and jumped, as I recall 26.x feet.
              True story, maybe somebody can look up the real stats.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

I don't remember ever working an 800m/LJ doubler and it is a rare athlete who can jump well immediately after running a 400m.

My lone exception occurred at the 92 Trials in New Orleans. Iowa had a man in the 400 m ( ?Anthony?) during the LJ finals. The 400 start/finish was at the NE corner of the track. The LJ was southbound on the west side of the track. His name was called for an LJ attempt just as the runners passed the LJ flight coordinator at about 110m. He continued to run a 45.x 400 and without pausing, ran back across the track infield to the head of the runway and jumped, as I recall 26.x feet.
                True story, maybe somebody can look up the real stats.
                Anthuan Maybank, but he never did the LJ/400 double at a championship meet as far as I can ascertain.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                  Anthuan Maybank, but he never did the LJ/400 double at a championship meet as far as I can ascertain.
                  That's the man. 1992 Olympic Trials at Gormley Stadium, New Orleans. I don't remember if it was the 400 finals but it was definitely the LJ finals where, presumably, you had to jump in order in those days.

Edit: I am almost certain it was the OTs. I don't think it was NCAA. But it definitely happened.
                  Last edited by lonewolf; 09-06-2021, 06:12 AM.

Comment

It was the 1993 NCAA Championships, also held in Tad Gormley Stadium. The long jump was held on June 3. Maybank finished sixth, with a wind-aided jump of 7.93 m (26-¼). The 400 heats were also held on June 3. Maybank ran 45.10 to win the second heat.

Source: Track Newsletter, Volume 39, Number 15 (June 17, 1993)

As reported by David Woods in Track & Field News, Volume 46, Number 8 (August 1993):

400: Photo Says Davis

It took 10 minutes longer to declare a winner than it took to run the race. The photo showed that Calvin Davis's late charge had indeed taken him past Anthuan Maybank, both clocking 45.04.

It was a major upset, considering that Davis (45.63) entered with the No. 10 time and Maybank (44.99) was No. 1.

"At the end I pulled even with him, and he was wobbling," said the 6-0/175 Davis, whose unlooked-for points gave Arkansas a big lift in the team race. "I just lunged at the end to win. It means a helluva lot."

Maybank, who had led the qualifying at 45.10 the same night as he took 6th in the long jump, became the first ever to score in both events.

Comment

Thank you, Davidokun, it was the NCAA. I think the 92 Trials were hotter. I guess I am only half senile.
                      The horizontal jump crew was essentially the 96 Oly crew. In those days a cadre of officials from all over the nation worked most major meets. This is one of the LJ "war stories" we reminisced over for years, the spectacle of Maybank running through the 400 finish line, never stopping en route to the LJ runway and delivering a 26-foot jump. I am sure he had his runway marks but don't know if he used them.
                      Last edited by lonewolf; 09-06-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

You're always welcome, lonewolf . Thank you for sharing your stories. Did you know that pit-raker Mike Powell was honored this past week in Brussels?
                        1. Thirty years on, remembering Powell's record-breaking leap
                        2. Vlašić and Powell inducted into Memorial Van Damme Hall of Fame, Heritage Plaque presented
                        3. Powell's 8.95m record leap becomes permanent as sculpture inaugurated in Brussels

Comment

Working...
                        X