Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    Good story on Hasay now on front page. Sounds as if she's well aware of her place in the universe at this point.
    http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanlui ... 190668.htm

Originally posted by The article
    A recurring theme for most critics seems to be Hasay's size. She's only 5 feet, 2 inches and 95 pounds. But they aren't saying she's too small, rather, there are questions about whether she can maintain her speed as she grows up.
    This is pretty strange criticism. If they are not criticising here size why are they talking about her size. I'm not sure I get this at all? And they would be right not to criticise here size, Budd, Bekele and Coe are hardly giants.

Originally posted by The article also
    Beyond that, she already has a qualifying time for the USA Junior Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Indianapolis in June. If she finishes in the top three there, she'll be on her way to Beijing, China, for the World Championships in August.
    Interesting typo.

Comment

Fast-forwarding her career on Internet chat boards, they are eager to find out whether she can continue to dominate the national competition, eventually transfer that to the Olympic stage and become the biggest name in American distance running since Mary Decker Slaney.
      Hasay knows about her onlookers. She reads the comments left by unsolicited critics who say she'll burn out or see her performance fall off when puberty kicks in. She's not afraid of talking about the lofty expectations or the pressure that accompanies them.
      "Is she going to be a match or is she going to be a candle?" Siqueiros said. "Is she going to flame out or is she going to be able to light up the arena? I'm banking on candle."
      At least The Enemy is clearly identified (hope it's just dyestat and letsrun - not here). She sounds great and we can only hope that SHE is happy, regardless of what happens from here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
        At least The Enemy is clearly identified (hope it's just dyestat and letsrun - not here).
        Well, I'm glad no one around here is putting any pressure on her by talking about her potential! :wink:

Seriously, the DyeStat crowd is almost all in awe of her performances to date and wishing her the best. There was a small amount of criticism after she biffed at the Stanford XC Invite early in the year (went out way to fast, conked out with the finish line in sight) but she has obviously learned from her pacing mistakes. I don’t do Letsrun much, but I can only imagine the crap that can be going on over there.

With write ups like this in her local paper, television interviews and other media saturation that her performances have and are sure to continue to elicit, the talk us old farts over here on T&FN are talking is the least of her worries.

Sounds like she is taking it all in stride so far . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
          She's only 5 feet, 2 inches and 95 pounds. But they aren't saying she's too small, rather, there are questions about whether she can maintain her speed as she grows up.
          If they are not criticising here size why are they talking about her size. I'm not sure I get this at all?
          I agree it's a weird topic to mention, but Britain's Non Stanford (I believe you've heard of her) grew 5 inches in the past year and her performances suffered as a result. She's now 5'6" and seems to be getting back to her best (9:20-ish level for 3km).

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
            Originally posted by Daisy
            She's only 5 feet, 2 inches and 95 pounds. But they aren't saying she's too small, rather, there are questions about whether she can maintain her speed as she grows up.
            If they are not criticising here size why are they talking about her size. I'm not sure I get this at all?
            I agree it's a weird topic to mention, but Britain's Non Stanford (I believe you've heard of her) grew 5 inches in the past year and her performances suffered as a result. She's now 5'6" and seems to be getting back to her best (9:20-ish level for 3km).
            This seems like an interesting example. The rapid growth will cause both a change in (and an adjustment optimizing) biomechanics, which should take a while to accomplish, but does not act to derail her advancement (already getting back to her bests). This situation applied to Jordan Hasay would imply that she will experience periods of growth that might lead to blips in her progress. I suspect that she and her coach are aware of this possibility and that it will not derail her interest in and success with the sport. Will she be an Olympic calibur athlete? I do not know, but her chances are a lot higher than mine were at that age and also higher anyone else at my HS, although we had a few pretty good athletes.

Comment

Jordan ran a 4:25.22 1500 at the Santa Barbara Easter Relays 3/25, with splits of 68+, 2:21, 3:32. It was cold, raining lightly, wet track....She was alone from the start, with second place timed in 4:49. She also had to lap (!) a couple of the tail-enders, who did not give her the inside lane.

I've seen the young lady run before, and she really is impressive, a completely dominant runner for her high school competition(and she's only 9th grade). She is also very intense and tough-minded, and seems able to think through and articulate her tactical decisions - indeed she is articulate and intelligent and much more well-rounded and mature as a person than one might suspect, given her age. She does have her head on straight.

Now factor this in too - She trains three-four days/week, swims the other days.

When she first showed up in local youth track results I too suspected pushy parents, over-training, burn-out, but I think now that she's for real, is being coached and prepared intelligently, and has all the gifts which will make her a successful individual and a great runner - if she escapes the frequently-encountered changes which go with maturity, and doesn't lose interest.

For a photo spread, go to sbrunning.org. A photo of her and a link will lead you to an Easter Relays photo spread with about a dozen shots of the flying Hasay.

Comment

Originally posted by oneill
                Now factor this in too - She trains three-four days/week, swims the other days.
                Assuming this is true, very interesting. And also good from a long-term perspective, in that it has to be easier on the body than piling on a bunch of 60-80 mile weeks.

Comment

I know that Jordan Hasay is a topic of interest, but from the discussion, God forbid her running body changes while she matures as a woman and one day develops a career (perhaps outside of running), creates a family in due time, and even spends a few Saturdays a week away from the track.

Her future progression in running won’t really matter as long as she translates her wonderful accomplishments, poise, work ethic and character to the many other challenges she will face and be offered down the road.

Comment

Perhaps too much time is spent in the game of analysis which becomes boring when it's all about predicting outcomes. I think we can look forward to a 2006 track season that will be different and exciting and probably look a lot like we've seen before.

Comment

News item today in the local newspaper that Jordan's 4:25.08 was actually 4:25.8 and possibly hand-timed, so that the 4:25.22 that she rain last Saturday (rain, wet track, lapped runners) is actually her PB.

She's got more in her too. An interview with her coach, Armando Siquieros, indicates that he's training her easy, is willing to take the time to allow her to develop with forcing a heavy training or competitive schedule on her.

Comment

Just noticed that the 9:26.32 3k time when converted to the (yech, I hate this crap) 3200 (10:07.94) puts her at number five on the all-time CA HS list. All ahead of her were seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                          Just noticed that the 9:26.32 3k time when converted to the (yech, I hate this crap) 3200 (10:07.94) puts her at number five on the all-time CA HS list. All ahead of her were seniors.
                          She just ran 10:07.56 for 3200 which translates to 9:25.3 for 3000 (at first, I thought that it was a 2 mile which would have implied 9:22.5, but they ran the 3200).

Anne St. Geme ran 4:46 in the mile (a full 1609.344 meters worth).

Hasay took some good scalpes in this one.

1 Hasay, Jordan 9 Mission Coll 10:07.56
                          2 Snow, Merideth 12 Eureka High 10:19.71
                          3 Sammons, Keara 12 Smoky Hill H 10:20.39
                          4 Hardt, Kari 12 Queen Creek 10:32.22
                          5 Buckley, Shelby 10 Corona Del M 10:34.82
                          6 Davidson, Hannah 10 Saratoga Spr 10:36.58
                          7 Saylor, Lauren 11 Buchanan Hig 10:37.12
                          8 Adamyk, Christy 11 Glendora Tra 10:39.76
                          9 Ferguson, Lindsey 12 Saratoga Spr 10:41.29

In the mile:

1 St Geme, Annie 12 Corona Del M 4:46.10
                          2 Kosinski, Alex 11 Oak Ridge Hi 4:50.14
                          3 Murakami, Shannon 11 Saugus High 4:53.46
                          4 Sperry, Anna 11 Simi Valley 4:58.32
                          5 Pixler, Jessica 12 Eastlake Hig 4:59.56
                          6 McMillan, Samantha 11 Judge Memorial H 4:59.95
                          7 Smith, Jessica Argyle Secondary 5:04.47
                          8 Johnson, Taylor 10 San Lorenzo 5:04.88
                          9 Reilly, Chelsea 11 Davis Senior 5:05.01

Comment

Coming down to the level of "mere" mortals, the 2nd placer here is quite good. She has won the Missouri state x-c race several years in a row and has won the 800/1600/3200 triple at the state meet at least once (last year, for sure, since I saw it).

Oops! Correction, as per bad hammy below... Yes, winning the half, 2 mile and 100 WOULD be even more impressive than "merely" the half/mile/2m...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                              She has won the Missouri state x-c race several years in a row and has won the 800/100/3200 triple at the state meet at least once . . .
                              If she won that triple she goes beyond mere mortal . . . :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X