Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your top 3 most cherished events...

1-400m, 2-400m, 3-400m... Sorry, but nothing compares to 400m, to my mind. I can't explain why. My athletic religion these last 30 years... From my first autographs by Darrell Robinson and HB Reynolds, to great exchanges about 400m with John Smith in Greece, to the deep joy to see one of the athletes of my club in Paris run this mythical event at the Tokyo OG...
    Last edited by 79; 09-10-2021, 09:30 PM.

1. Two Mile
    My fave distance as a runner, and most challenging--to run two fast miles back to back.
    Best deuces I've seen was Gerry Lindgren's INdoor 8:46, where he took it to Gaston Roelants with a fast 1st 440!
    And the Jim Ryun--Jim Grelle duel at the 1966 Coliseum Relays!
    They ran side by side the entire way--Grelle the veteran abd Ryun still just 19.
    4:15 first mile, then an all out sprint on the last 440, Ryun running 56.4 to finish in 8:25.2, splits of 4:15 & 4:10!
    Grelle given the same time!

2. 10000 on a track
    Always loved track racing, so the 6 mile/10000 was the ultimate---though I raced 10 milers and even 15 milers on the track!
    Best race watched in person was the Lindgren/Mills duel at the 1965 AAU in San Diego!!
    Whoever says 10K's on the track are boring is nuts!!
    LOL

3. Among the field events, I'd pick the PV, then the HT!
    Last edited by aaronk; 09-10-2021, 10:30 PM.

Comment

PV, 400H, 100H/110H, Dec/Hep (sorry - can't differentiate those four) just edge out HJ, LJ, TJ, followed by 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500. then SP, DT, JT, HT, but not by much.

have I left any out . . . ?

Comment

all of them: = !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 79 View Post
          1-400m, 2-400m, 3-400m....
          maybe you should change your handle from 79 :-)

Comment

4x4 relay, 400h, Multis.

Comment

I think Dec/Hep covers them all....or enough of em.

Comment

It's a HS dual or tri meet, the lights are on, all the events are over...except one. Every athlete is lining the inside of the track all the way around, and everyone in the stands is on their feet even before the gun goes off. Once it does, it's sheer pandemonium for three and a half minutes. Everyone goes home hoarse, and even the slowest runner on the team can outperform expectations, put his/her team in front and seal the win, and become the stuff of legend.

That's the 4x400, and that's what track and field is all about. IMHO.

Comment

Forgot the relays earlier!
                  And the multi's!
                  So, all the multi's!
                  The relay fave is the 4 X mile, then the DMR!
                  And I loved the Women's 4 X 400 in Tokyo--the Americans!
                  Last edited by aaronk; 09-11-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Back a half-century ago when I was still a rookie, my wife and I drove over to Berkeley with T&FN owner Bert Nelson for a dual meet. On the way back he asked her, "So what's your favorite event?" and she said without hesitation, "The mile relay."

He asked, "Is it because the team score so often comes down to the 4x4, or that it's 4 laps of non-stop excitement, or what?"

Her response: "Because it's the last event and I get to go home."

Comment

Damn, my wife must have met up with yours.
                      Last edited by Tuariki; 09-11-2021, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                        It's a HS dual or tri meet, the lights are on, all the events are over...except one. Every athlete is lining the inside of the track all the way around, and everyone in the stands is on their feet even before the gun goes off. Once it does, it's sheer pandemonium for three and a half minutes. Everyone goes home hoarse, and even the slowest runner on the team can outperform expectations, put his/her team in front and seal the win, and become the stuff of legend.

That's the 4x400, and that's what track and field is all about. IMHO.
                        On reflection, you are right. The 4x400 is the essence of T&F and the perfect finale for a track meet.

Comment

If the meet did come down to the 4x4. and if the teams were evenly matched, and if the members of the teams were fast . . . then I would be interested.

Comment

One athlete running 400m is great. Four athletes running 400m in succession is greater.

I like athletes moving around the track without impediment. In order 1500m, 4x400m, 10,000, 5000m, 400m, 200m, 100m, steeple, 400h, 100h. Field events are about equal for me and the multis I'm not particularly interested in at all.

For drama...nothing better than the few minutes prior to the men's 100m at the Olympics through the dead silence of set. Followed by the wall of sound at the gun. That's in any sport.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              Her response: "Because it's the last event and I get to go home."
                              I hope she enjoyed the walk home.

Comment

Working...
                              X