Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statistics showing that Kirani James is a legend...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistics showing that Kirani James is a legend...

Laps of time between the first and last sub-44"00 400m:
    Kirani James: 2012(43"94) and 2021(43"88) 9 years
    Lashawn Merritt : 2007(43"96) 2016(43"85) 9 years
    Michael Johnson: 1992(43"98) 2000(43"68) 8 years
    HB Reynolds: 1988(43"29) 1996(43"91) 8 years

His longevity at this level of performance is exceptional. A king among the 400m legends.

Originally posted by 79 View Post
    Laps of time between the first and last sub-44"00 400m:
    Kirani James: 2012(43"94) and 2021(43"88) 9 years
    Lashawn Merritt : 2007(43"96) 2016(43"85) 9 years
    Michael Johnson: 1992(43"98) 2000(43"68) 8 years
    HB Reynolds: 1988(43"29) 1996(43"91) 8 years

His longevity at this level of performance is exceptional. A king among the 400m legends.
    My all-time top 10 is due for a rewrite, and he is very likely to be in it. A complete set of medals, when at one point he looked finished, is also hard to ignore.

Comment

I wonder if Harvey Glance is still his coach, nowadays...

Comment

Long time fan of his as well. I have total respect for anyone's longevity in this sport, but especially in this event. I thought he was done on multiple occasions, but he just keeps coming back and running at a top level. And he aint done yet, folks!

Comment

Kirani James really deserves a lot of credit for the landscape of the 400m the past 10 years.

The first non-American to ever break 44 seconds and first to win Olympic Gold since 1976 (excluding Moscow). He really opened the door for both the international and Caribbean presence in the event with names like Gardiner, Santos, Gordon winning medals and a bunch of names going under 44 seconds, breaking the US dominance since Lee Evans first did it in 1968.

The recent podiums have also looked a lot more like pre 1968, the days when the US was usually winning just 1 medal at the Olympics. From 1968 - 2008, the US was averaging 2ish medals per Olympics, including 3 podium sweeps. In just the last 3 Games, all of which Kirani James was a part of, the US won just a single medal and was shut out in 2 of them.

Sure at some point we would have seen a non-American make serious headway in the 400m, but James lead the way on it in 2011/2012.

Comment

Very impressive longevity at the top level.

Also, as an aside, one of the most likeable people in the sport. I find myself rooting for him every single time.

Comment

I wonder if Harvey Glance is still his coach, nowadays...
              Track and Field Weekly T.V. show on the Olympic Channel indicated that they are still working together. It was from one or two weeks ago and I erased it from my DVR so I can't go back to see exactly what they said.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post

Track and Field Weekly T.V. show on the Olympic Channel indicated that they are still working together. It was from one or two weeks ago and I erased it from my DVR so I can't go back to see exactly what they said.
                Yes they still work together.

Here is an hour long interview with both Glance and James right after James won Bronze in Tokyo. Via Talk Sports Grenada: https://youtu.be/QSZS0Q6xkmM

Comment

I wouldn’t say legend. That term is used too loosely now.

In an event where it’s hard to be consistent with success, he’s definitely done it. He’s great and an ambassador of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
                    I wouldn’t say legend. That term is used too loosely now.

In an event where it’s hard to be consistent with success, he’s definitely done it. He’s great and an ambassador of the sport.

Just who are the 400m legends:

McKenley - even though he never won Olympic gold
                    Evans - he set a remarkable WR while winning Olympic gold
                    Johnson - WR and Olympic gold
                    VanNiekerk - trifecta Worlds - Olympics - World plus WR

Who am I missing?
                    Honorable mentions:
                    Warriner
                    Merritt
                    K. James - only 3 time medalist
                    B. Reynolds - WR
                    Q. Watts did he do enough to move up?
                    S. Gardiner - would a trifecta move him to the upper group?
                    Last edited by OneWay; 09-21-2021, 08:56 PM. Reason: agreeing with 502CD on Warriner & Merritt

Comment

WvN's time at the top was far too short to deserve legend status (caveat: If he still holds the WR a decade from now, that's a different case

Comment

Originally posted by OneWay View Post

Who am I missing?
                        Honorable mentions:
                        B. Reynolds - WR
                        Wariner should be on any Honorable Mention list. Olympic Gold, 2-Worlds, Olympic Silver and I think another World Silver.

Only Johnson has more sub-44s I believe.

Merritt as well. Him and Wariner had some good battles and never ducked each other either.

Comment

I remember French journalist Robert Parienté wrote Tommie Smith should have become... a sub-42"5 had he taken the 400m seriously, his coach (Bud Winter?) told him... These words are written in his book La fabuleuse histoire de l'Athlétisme. (1978). We'll never know...
                          To my opinion, the ultimate 400m legend is Michael Johnson. Almost unbeatable.
                          Last edited by 79; 09-21-2021, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I remember French journalist Robert Parienté wrote Tommie Smith should have become... a sub-42"5 had he taken the 400m seriously, his coach (Bud Winter?) told him... These words are written in his book La fabuleuse histoire de l'Athlétisme. (1978)
                            agree completely

Comment

Originally posted by OneWay View Post

Just who are the 400m legends:

McKenley - even though he never won Olympic gold
                              Evans - he set a remarkable WR while winning Olympic gold
                              Johnson - WR and Olympic gold
                              VanNiekerk - trifecta Worlds - Olympics - World plus WR

Who am I missing?
                              Honorable mentions:
                              B. Reynolds - WR
                              IMO Michael Johnson is a legend. In the event and sport overall. Dominated the event for a decade with 4 world titles, so many sub-44 times, a long-winning streak, an Olympic gold and WR.

Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis, Gail Devers, Sergey Bubka, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Usain Bolt, Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce, Flo-Jo, Allen Johnson, Edwin Moses, Marie Jose-Perec, Hicham El Guerrouj, Maurice Greene. Those are some of the legends in my mind. KJ is one of the greats of the event, legends are in another upper echelon.

In the end it's all subjective, I just don't throw about the word loosely. Obivously locally KJ is a legend in his country for his incredible accomplishments.
                              Last edited by Weights&Shoes; 09-21-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X