Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the female athlete of the year?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be the female athlete of the year?

I can see a strong argument for McLaughlin, Rojas and Hassan. Thompson-Herah, Mu, Lasitskiene and Muhammad are my picks for places 4-7, not necessarily in that order.

Rojas had the Olympic Gold, World Record and DL final. She has the top eight marks of the year, and would have been "undefeated" if not for the stupid final three rule.

McLaughlin did not compete enough.

Hassan had WR, but was bettered only a few days later. She also lost multiple times to the same runner.

I think it should be either Rojas or Thompson Herah. The latter did not officially break the WR, but people on this board know it was the de facto WR.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
      I can see a strong argument for McLaughlin, Rojas and Hassan. Thompson-Herah, Mu, Lasitskiene and Muhammad are my picks for places 4-7, not necessarily in that order.
      McLaughlin was the only event undefeated (current) WR-setter. Hassan (5/10) has a strong case also, despite her WR being broken. .
      Last edited by Atticus; 09-20-2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

This is Rojas' for the taking IMO
        • Olympic Gold
        • Diamond League Champion
        • World Record
        • Undefeated season (yes I'm ignoring the DL format which had her finish 2nd despite having the best jump)
        • 2 performances better than the previous WR
        • Top 8 performances for the year (top 14 with ancillary jumps)
        • 4 of the top 5 all-time jumps
        • Also jumped 6.88m in the Long jump which is #29 on the world list (also 7.27m + 2.7)
        McLaughlin has Gold and 2 times under previous WR, but short season (though 100mH best is #20 in the world)
        Hassan gets extra points for 3 individual medals (2 gold), but loses points with her multiple 1500m loses and "only" broke the 10000m WR once which stood for "only" 2 days. She also has no world leads in championship events.

Elaine Thompson-Herah is also a good candidate, but her multiple loses at both 100m & 200m push her down. There is an argument for ETH above Hassan and McLaughlin to be honest.
        Last edited by ATK; 09-20-2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I don't think there's a strong argument for anyone but Rojas.

Comment

Pretty much has to be Rojas, I think.

Comment

Rojas will surely get it

Has Shelly Ann Fraser had the strongest ever season ranked #2 in an event?

Probably second best season ever behind ETH

Comment

Rojas for me too.

Comment

My below AOY rankings are based on 1 event for each athlete because I don't believe, for example, Hassan should be downgraded by the 1500, or ETH upgraded for doing well in 2 events.

1. Rojas, a no brainer. Totally dominated the TJ
                  2. McLaughlin. Didn't compete enough.
                  3. Hassan. For 10,000
                  4. Thompson-Herah. For 100
                  5. Allman
                  6. Mu

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                    Are you forgetting Faith Kipyegon? She would place ahead of Mu & Muhammad easily. Kipyegon retained the Olympic title in an event that it's historically very difficult to do that in. Also, she ran sub-3:54 four times and (discounting Cninese times) clocked the #2, #5, #6 & #9 all-time marks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                      I'm OK with that. I forgot Rojas's 'loss' was in the DL-debacle.

But . . . there's no such thing as 'didn't compete enough' when you have to get thru the Trials and Olympics. That's called 'perfect peaking'.
                      On the other hand, the fact that Rojas did put herself put there does give her the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Are you forgetting Faith Kipyegon? She would place ahead of Mu & Muhammad easily. Kipyegon retained the Olympic title in an event that it's historically very difficult to do that in. Also, she ran sub-3:54 four times and (discounting Cninese times) clocked the #2, #5, #6 & #9 all-time marks.
                        Indeed. Jasmine Camacho-Quinn is being underrated too.

In fact I don't see how Muhammad rates that highly. She wouldn't be in my top 10.

But yes, Rojas is a very clear #1.

Comment

Gong should get some mention for an unbeaten season, albeit primarily in China.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Kipyegon got beat at Florence, which kind of spoils things for AOY

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                              My below AOY rankings are based on 1 event for each athlete because I don't believe, for example, Hassan should be downgraded by the 1500, or ETH upgraded for doing well in 2 events.

3. Hassan. For 10,000
                              4. Thompson-Herah. For 100
                              5. Allman
                              6. Mu
                              The AOY crew loves a doubler. Puts some events at a disadvantage, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Comment

Working...
                              X