Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the female athlete of the year?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

I have them as very close. When one looks at the whole competitive season, Bol's is, overall better than Muhammad's IMO. However, Muhammad's silver over Bol's bronze in Tokyo is the tipping point for everyone. For me, probably as well, but outside Tokyo Muhammad's only races of any consequence were her national Trials & Pre. That's it. Whereas Bol had 6 DL wins (not 5 sorry), numerous meet records, & 3 Continental Tour wins, and was undefeated on the circuit. That's impressive.
    I basically agree. In the Zurich DL thread, I posed the question if Bol should be ranked ahead of Muhammad. Most said no.

But in the overall AOY conversation, I think both Muhammad and Bol should be ahead of a few #1s from other events (women's Javelin for example)

Comment

In whatever order after Rojas -- Camacho-Quinn, McLaughlin, Mu, Gong, Hassan, Thompson-Herah, Kipyegon, Lasitskene, Allman/Miller-Uibo

I don't believe you should be in the AOY discussion without an individual Olympic gold.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        I don't believe you should be in the AOY discussion without an individual Olympic gold.
        Tell that to Keni Harrison who ranked #5 in 2016

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
          In whatever order after Rojas -- Camacho-Quinn, McLaughlin, Mu, Gong, Hassan, Thompson-Herah, Kipyegon, Lasitskene, Allman/Miller-Uibo

I think we broadly agree in principle, & Muhammad & Bol are not in the top 10, but I refer back to ATK's point; someone like Liu, who won the JT in Tokyo, had 6 meets outside Tokyo, all domestic, and she lost 4 of them. IMO that doesn't warrant a ranking higher than a Muhammad, Bol or SAFP, Olympic gold or not. So whilst Bol might, for example, be 11th, she'd still be higher than Olympic Champ Liu. And let's not go there with the womens 3000sc, with Olympic Champ Chemutai only winning one race out of five outside of Tokyo, with 8th place, 7th places, 5th place....😮
          Last edited by Wiederganger; 09-21-2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Same as McLaughlin though (obvs without a WR) who didn't compete outside the US except for Tokyo.
            Sorta like downgrading an Italian cyclist who only had one race outside of Italy, winning something in France . . . Tour de Something-or-other.

This is a season for the ages.
            06 JUN Nashville 1 52.83
            25 JUN Olympic Trials heat 1 54.07
            26 JUN Olympic Trials semi 1 53.03
            27 JUN Olympic Trials final 1 51.90 WR
            31 JUL Olympic Games heat 1 54.65
            02 AUG Olympic Games semi 1 53.03
            04 AUG Olympic Games final 1 51.46 WR

Comment

If I am not mistaken. 11 gold medalists also had WL.

ETH (100 #1 this century, and 200 #1)
              SMU (#2, #1 is currently suspended.)
              Mu (#3, #2 is ineligible under the current rule.)
              Kipyegon (#2)
              Camacho-Quinn (#3)
              McLauchlin (#1, WR)
              Lasitskene (#8, one of the top seven is her own mark.)
              Rojas (#1 WR)
              Gong (#10)
              Allman (#2)
              Thiem (#10, one of the top nine is her own mark.)

So out of 11, Lasitskene, Gong and Thiem are weak as far as their season's bests. And you have Hassan, who does not have any WL in the Olympic distances.

Should any one else be ranked above those 12?

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                Should any one else be ranked above those 12?
                I would probably put Katie Nageotte ahead of Gong and Thiam

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

I would probably put Katie Nageotte ahead of Gong and Thiam
                  That's a good call. She doesn't have WL, but her mark is #4 all time. How about Wlodarczyk? Only four women (including herself).have thrown further than her SB.

Other gold medalists without WL.

Hassan. (#8 5000, #2 10000).
                  Jepchirchir (#55 only one race, not sure if she runs any fall marathon).
                  Chemtai (#4)
                  Mihambo (#6)
                  Liu (#5)
                  Palmisano (#10)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Sorta like downgrading an Italian cyclist who only had one race outside of Italy, winning something in France . . . Tour de Something-or-other.

06 JUN Nashville 1 52.83

It's barely a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
                      It's barely a season.
                      And yet . . . it's an awesome one!

Comment

I would not be surprise if they give it to Thompson Herah due to her Olympic double and her scarcely believable 10.54. If I'm making the decision I'd give it to Rojas and Crouser. Warholm will probably get it though.
                        Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

A much larger field vieing for # 1 on the female side, than the narrow 2-person field for the guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

06 JUN Nashville 1 52.83
                            She's just one of many Olympic individual gold medalists. When compared against other gold medalists with more prolific seasons outside the Olympics, she's justifiably downgraded. Your reference to the Tour de France doesn't work here because there's only one TdF champion each year.

Comment

Exactly. Line up Muhammad's season against Bol's, and IMO the latter's overall season is more impressive. The Olympics though, for many, is the decider, and probably rightly so, but the fact that Bol ran in 5 DL meets, was unbeaten in all of them - and beat Muhammad in one - whereas Muhammad ran in 2, and lost one, as well as the non DL meets and wins Bol had, takes some of the tarnish off Muhammad's season, and certainly I don't think she deserves a place over someone like Camacho-Quinn or Kigyegon.
                              It's a close one but I can see the argument for it. The Olympic final was Bol's only loss out of 10 meets. That’s a far better win/loss ratio than Muhammad's. However it's also worth bearing in mind that the Olympic Final was Bol's only time facing McLaughlin, the #1 400m hurdler this year. Facing Muhammad (her next best competitor) only twice isn't great either, but of course the same can be said about Muhammad.

Either way, neither would feature in my top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                                She's just one of many Olympic individual gold medalists. When compared against other gold medalists with more prolific seasons outside the Olympics, she's justifiably downgraded.
                                Your reference to the Tour de France doesn't work here because there's only one TdF champion each year.
                                ??!!
                                The TWO WRs count for nothing?
                                The analogy doesn't work because there's only one TdF every year? The Olympics w400H Olympic Final only comes around every 4 (or 5!) years and it's just as much the pinnacle of her sport as the TdF is for its. She gets penalized because there are other, unrelated, events?

Comment

Working...
                                X